Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 07:05 AM

21,933 posts, read 9,503,108 times

Advertisements

No. You don't owe that agent anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2019, 10:04 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Is the death in the house a dealbreaker for you or just a point of curiosity? If the latter, maybe ask after the contract is signed. You might be more likely to get an honest answer (if it's affirmative) if they aren't concerned it could kill the deal.

Old 12-10-2019, 10:22 AM

11,827 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
And whom do you propose pay the agent and how much?
That would be up to them.

Old 12-10-2019, 10:53 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
the OP could certainly tell the owner they'd like to buy it, but also include representation from the agent. It's a matter of how much experience the sibling and the OP have with property transactions in this locale.

But as to the original question, the answer remains "no obligation".

Old 12-10-2019, 10:59 AM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times
No obligation. But if you want to pursue, pehaps negotiate a 1% commission to your buyer’s agent and have the agent help with processing the documents.

You can simply ask the seller where the death occurred if that matters to you. I did home hospice for my late husband and our state asked if there was a death in the house. I answered honestly but it didn’t deter the sale.

Old 12-10-2019, 12:06 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I viewed a property that was on the market for over a year (the previous owner had died, and a sibling was selling it) with my buyer's realtor, but didn't act on it in time. It later went under contract and closed. At that point, I sent a note to the buyer - as I sometimes do - asking to be notified if it went up for sale again. That new owner died a few months later, and now yet another sibling is selling it, found my note, and contacted me, proposing a private sale. Two questions: am I obligated to notify/use/pay my (former) realtor who initially showed me the house, and b) is the now-seller required to disclose whether or not the deceased owner - or anyone else - died inside the house (I believe that it is in a formal real estate transaction), or do either of these situations vary by state? Thank you.
Maybe someone can answer this - wouldn't the original contract terminate when the other party deceased? Not sure I've ever heard of a listing contract with a succession clause

Old 12-10-2019, 12:29 PM

14,486 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Maybe someone can answer this - wouldn't the original contract terminate when the other party deceased? Not sure I've ever heard of a listing contract with a succession clause

The buyer's agent didn't die. That's who the OP may have had an old obligation with.

I don't think anyone is suggesting there is/was an ongoing contractual obligation with anyone at the house.

OP - I would say IF you need any help or advice in researching, offering, negotiating terms or completing the purchase now, it would be good for you to give that opportunity to the original buyer's agent, and work a fee in to the purchase if you wish.

As for whether someone passed in the home... I would ask yourself why it matters before pushing it with surviving family members.

Old 12-11-2019, 05:17 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I viewed a property that was on the market for over a year (the previous owner had died, and a sibling was selling it) with my buyer's realtor, but didn't act on it in time. It later went under contract and closed. At that point, I sent a note to the buyer - as I sometimes do - asking to be notified if it went up for sale again. That new owner died a few months later, and now yet another sibling is selling it, found my note, and contacted me, proposing a private sale. Two questions: am I obligated to notify/use/pay my (former) realtor who initially showed me the house, and b) is the now-seller required to disclose whether or not the deceased owner - or anyone else - died inside the house (I believe that it is in a formal real estate transaction), or do either of these situations vary by state? Thank you.
After this long you aren’t beholden to the agent. It’s really up to you if you want to use a agent. But dont expect the seller to agree if theire saying they only want a private sale. They don’t want agents involved cause they don’t want to pay that high commission. You may have to pay the commission out of pocket.

The death thing is state specific, unless you’re a superstitious type or can’t live in a house where someone died it wouldn’t personally stop me from buying the house. Call a priest to exorcise the house if you’re worried.

Old 12-11-2019, 08:24 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Or maybe you contact the agent and ask if they will help navigate the fsbo with you. Get the transaction done with the least amount of hassles.
That generally runs $1-2k, from what I understand (just doing the paperwork side of things). I've actually bought four houses and sold three; in none of those cases have I used a realtor, nor was the house I bought on the market at the time (I'm a big believer in letting current owners know I'm interested or else it's been through word of mouth before the property was listed). So it almost seems meant to be that this one is now also FSBO.

Old 12-11-2019, 08:36 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
"As for whether someone passed in the home... I would ask yourself why it matters before pushing it with surviving family members."

Well, some believe in bad karma or vibrations in particular properties if one is plagued with a tragic past -- such as two owners in succession dying prematurely and possibly violently, not to say "ghosts." Perhaps there's some environmental toxin in the house that adversely affects inhabitants. I just find it a strange coincidence and wonder about the history. Surely in the age of the Internet it's a matter of public record where and how someone dies? I've Googled, but no news articles. I have, in the past, discovered by doing so that, for instance, someone was murdered in a home or, in another case, died in a house fire there (it had since been repaired). I'm not saying I do believe in "cursed properties," but as I say, I'm now curious to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate