Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 11:50 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times

Advertisements

I viewed a property that was on the market for over a year (the previous owner had died, and a sibling was selling it) with my buyer's realtor, but didn't act on it in time. It later went under contract and closed. At that point, I sent a note to the buyer - as I sometimes do - asking to be notified if it went up for sale again. That new owner died a few months later, and now yet another sibling is selling it, found my note, and contacted me, proposing a private sale. Two questions: am I obligated to notify/use/pay my (former) realtor who initially showed me the house, and b) is the now-seller required to disclose whether or not the deceased owner - or anyone else - died inside the house (I believe that it is in a formal real estate transaction), or do either of these situations vary by state? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2019, 11:53 AM

1,185 posts, read 751,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I viewed a property that was on the market for over a year (the previous owner had died, and a sibling was selling it) with my buyer's realtor, but didn't act on it in time. It later went under contract and closed. At that point, I sent a note to the buyer - as I sometimes do - asking to be notified if it went up for sale again. That new owner died less than a year later, and now yet another sibling is selling it, found my note, and contacted me, proposing a private sale. Two questions: am I obligated to notify/use/pay my (former) realtor who initially showed me the house, and b) is the now-seller required to disclose whether or not the deceased owner - or anyone else - died inside the house (I believe that it is in a formal real estate transaction), or do either of these situations vary by state? Thank you.
The first part would depend on your buyer's agency agreement, although I highly doubt that it would extend for a year.

The second part is state-specific.

Old 12-09-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chingaso View Post
The first part would depend on your buyer's agency agreement, although I highly doubt that it would extend for a year.

The second part is state-specific.
The property was on the market for over a year before it sold. I viewed it under a year ago. And I never signed anything with this agent; she's just been showing me houses. According to my research, sellers in this state are not required to volunteer that information on disclosures, but cannot lie or misrepresent if directly asked by a potential buyer. Would the same law that applies to realtors also apply to private sellers in this case? It's a little awkward since it's his sibling I'd be asking about (I located the obit online, but cause and place of death isn't given). Is there any other way to determine this? Also, does the property sound cursed? (just half-kidding on that last one)

Last edited by otterhere; 12-09-2019 at 12:09 PM..

Old 12-09-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
The property was on the market for over a year before it sold. I viewed it under a year ago. And I never signed anything with this agent; she's just been showing me houses. According to my research, sellers in this state are not required to volunteer that information on disclosures, but cannot lie or misrepresent if directly asked by a potential buyer. Would the same law that applies to realtors also apply to private sellers in this case? It's a little awkward since it's his sibling I'd be asking about (I located the obit online, but cause and place of death isn't given). Is there any other way to determine this? Also, does the property sound cursed? (just half-kidding on that last one)
It sounds like it's located in an area with an elderly population. personally, I wouldn't care one way or the other and it just seems like a question that would start a transaction off on the wrong foot.

As for the agent, it sounds like you're not OBLIGATED to pay out, nor did they really do anything to keep you in the game on this property. Maybe a gift certificate or something as a thank you, along with some referrals?

Old 12-09-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chingaso View Post
It sounds like it's located in an area with an elderly population. personally, I wouldn't care one way or the other and it just seems like a question that would start a transaction off on the wrong foot.

As for the agent, it sounds like you're not OBLIGATED to pay out, nor did they really do anything to keep you in the game on this property. Maybe a gift certificate or something as a thank you, along with some referrals?
Both deceased owners were middle-aged; not elderly. I've heard that the first was a drug addict, and the second MAY have committed suicide, or at least a related site popped up in my Google search of the name. Despite the depressing history, it doesn't seem to be a bad neighborhood.

I know that when one realtor has shown you a property, you can't then buy it under another realtor without there being some legal issue re: the commission? So I wasn't sure in the case of a FSBO. Those sound like good suggestions.

Old 12-09-2019, 03:30 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
you never had a signed agreement with your agent.

you never made an offer on the property.

the property changed hands, so was no longer owned by the same Seller.

you don't legally "owe" that agent anything. it does sound like they worked with you quite a bit but you never wound up buying anything. Then it becomes your own moral compass as to whether they did enough to get anything then or RECENTLY beyond a "hey, weird thing - that house we saw a year ago that sold. the new owners answered a letter of mine willing to do a private sale. Sorry we couldn't ever find a house together, but I'm buying that house without you."

as to disclosure, that'll be state-specific.

Old 12-09-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
you never had a signed agreement with your agent.

you never made an offer on the property.

the property changed hands, so was no longer owned by the same Seller.

you don't legally "owe" that agent anything. it does sound like they worked with you quite a bit but you never wound up buying anything. Then it becomes your own moral compass as to whether they did enough to get anything then or RECENTLY beyond a "hey, weird thing - that house we saw a year ago that sold. the new owners answered a letter of mine willing to do a private sale. Sorry we couldn't ever find a house together, but I'm buying that house without you."

as to disclosure, that'll be state-specific.
I still think a few referrals or a “thanks for trying” gift would be the right thing in this place - assuming g of course, they didn’t botch things and cost the buyer the home in the first place.

Old 12-09-2019, 04:27 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
Or maybe you contact the agent and ask if they will help navigate the fsbo with you. Get the transaction done with the least amount of hassles.

Old 12-09-2019, 05:23 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Or maybe you contact the agent and ask if they will help navigate the fsbo with you. Get the transaction done with the least amount of hassles.
And whom do you propose pay the agent and how much?

Old 12-09-2019, 09:12 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
It is a FSBO for sale by a different owner. So there is no relationship between the two times on the market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate