Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 09:39 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
The actual garbage dumpster is across the parking lot. That corral along the wall is where they keep all the co2 (?) canisters.
Taking a little Google drive will show a dumpster in there. Why isn't that unpleasantness next to the business that uses it instead of the residential property you're trying to unload?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2020, 09:59 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,140,087 times
Yeah, that's definitely a dumpster there. Although, there are two other dumpsters to the right of the BWW entrance, so it's possible that the dumpster closer to the OP's property is maybe just a cardboard dump.

Those canisters you see aren't CO2; it's too far from the building. Those are empty beer kegs.

Old 01-10-2020, 12:16 PM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Taking a little Google drive will show a dumpster in there. Why isn't that unpleasantness next to the business that uses it instead of the residential property you're trying to unload?
I live there. I talked with the city and Bdub manager when they were building that enclosure. No food or garbage is in there.

Old 01-10-2020, 12:58 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
It isn't the lack of offers, it's the lack of traffic coming in. We were just about to do a price drop this week, but like a light switch got turned on, we have 4 showings scheduled. So most likely won't do anything unless we get a week or so of showings with no offers.

When we listed it back in Nov. , our agent said we would have a small window of opportunity as long as the weather held out, we were steady in the 50's. Then, the day we went live we got hit with 8" of snow. The following week , the temps were in the teens, then the city decided to replace the gas lines down the block. So everyone's front yard was torn up. So there has been one hurdle after another.
That's so frustrating.

Four showings is encouraging. Good luck!

Old 01-10-2020, 05:11 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
I see the problem as not so much location as that postage stamp lot. Rent it as a little old lady apartment and include yard maintenance in the rent.

Old 01-10-2020, 08:13 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
I live there. I talked with the city and Bdub manager when they were building that enclosure. No food or garbage is in there.
I prefer to use my own eyes than listen to others with a reason to not be forthcoming. Did you look at the Google street view or look over the fence?

Keep in mind that what I did is no different than what an informed buyer would do before even deciding to do a drive-by.

Old 01-10-2020, 09:59 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,229,260 times
Quote:
It's basically a parking lot for some businesses, one of which is a restaurant.

https://goo.gl/maps/3TKkJzmDQHwFkh7L7
To a buyer this can mean worry about noise at night and worry about rats on top of the eyesore if there is one. I'd guess it would take at least $20,000 off the comps without that issue, and I sold real estate for 18+ years.

Old 01-11-2020, 08:47 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,140,087 times
Quote:
I prefer to use my own eyes than listen to others with a reason to not be forthcoming. Did you look at the Google street view or look over the fence?

Keep in mind that what I did is no different than what an informed buyer would do before even deciding to do a drive-by.
Again, there is a dumpster in that enclosure. However, not all dumpsters are for food waste. There are two more dumpsters up to the right of the BWW entrance. The dumpster closest to OP's property looks to be their cardboard dumpster for cardboard recycling. They also appear to store their used beer kegs in there.

Old 01-12-2020, 01:42 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I would never consider a home closer than a mile or so to any commercial property, but we keep hearing that people today want to live in walk-able areas. Having restaurants that close by seems to be the very definition of walk-able. Perhaps emphasize that in the marketing and you will catch the attention of those people.
People want walkable, but far enough away that they’re not on top of it. Although that can certainly be unrealistic.

I do think it wouldn’t hurt to say “walkable to restaurants” or something in the description though. I see OP’s listing is described as “very private,” which could be a stretch IMO.

Without knowing the area and just looking at Zillow quickly (and realizing it may not be accurate), I see 2 for sale pretty close by, 1 for $143k and 1 for $147k. The $143 one is dated, but is 160 more square feet. The $147k one doesn’t look bad though. They’re both about 3 houses down from the commercial stuff. I’m not sure I’m seeing much that would make OP’s house worth $11k-$15 more (and doesn’t look like those are even selling either).

Looking at one of the most recent solds, I see one just closed a couple weeks ago for $166k. Looks like a flip so who knows the quality, but it looks pretty nice (nicer than OP’s IMO). It also has a second bathroom, is not near the commercial stuff and is a couple houses down from the park. So, just spitballing here as I’m not an agent but I’m not sure if I’d expect OP’s to sell for much more than 10% less than that which would be right around $150k.

Certainly wait to see if your showings and such pick up, but if not a price drop to $150k would probably be a good start (~5% less than current list of $158k).

Old 01-12-2020, 06:03 PM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:

I live here. I know there is no food type garbage in there. It matters little to me what you think. Either way, it is what it is. There isn't anything i can do about it.

Last edited by scarabchuck; 01-12-2020 at 06:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate