Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2020, 11:15 AM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcitizen10 View Post
Crossed out my right to do certain home inspections and sale being contingent on that. Lights out.
I'm not looking to just throw out $600 on inspections of every house out there, may be they're looking for someone to do free inspections for them? (buyer is required to provide inspections to seller if they're walking out, in that jurisdiction)
I would not deal with anything as-is, just not interested. They can sell it with big discount from market as -is, to some investor, good luck. As-is is a very bad language one shouldn't use unless it's a total fixer, that's my opinion. I'm not a sucker to pay for inspections of anything they want to sell as-is out there. The offer pricing is based on move-in condition house without major issues. If the house had been sitting for 2 years in this market, it's either something is seriously wrong with it or sellers just do the same game with every potential buyer making them run.

OK fair enough. Sounds like a bad match.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2020, 11:35 AM

1,185 posts, read 751,127 times
Quote:
Crossed out my right to do certain home inspections and sale being contingent on that. Lights out.
I'm not looking to just throw out $600 on inspections of every house out there, may be they're looking for someone to do free inspections for them? (buyer is required to provide inspections to seller if they're walking out, in that jurisdiction)
I would not deal with anything as-is, just not interested. They can sell it with big discount from market as -is, to some investor, good luck. As-is is a very bad language one shouldn't use unless it's a total fixer, that's my opinion. I'm not a sucker to pay for inspections of anything they want to sell as-is out there. The offer pricing is based on move-in condition house without major issues. If the house had been sitting for 2 years in this market, it's either something is seriously wrong with it or sellers just do the same game with every potential buyer making them run.
Almost all real estate transactions are as-is. The seller is not warrantying anything on the property once the sale is made, and it’s the buyer’s responsibility to do their due diligence. I think you’re confused about this process.

Old 02-29-2020, 11:37 AM

5,999 posts, read 3,736,069 times
This thread reminds me of one a few weeks ago when someone was complaining because the owner/seller of an old house which needed a lot of work wouldn't agree to his (potential buyer) price or terms. He kept listing all the reasons why the house wasn't worth what the seller was asking... as if we can do something about it.

Hey, there are just some people in the world who are unreasonable. Some of these people are buyers and some are sellers. If you can't make a deal that you deem reasonable and the other party won't negotiate or accept your offer, it's time to move on. Life is too short to waste a lot of effort on trying to deal with unreasonable people.

Old 02-29-2020, 02:55 PM

228 posts, read 161,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
OK fair enough. Sounds like a bad match.

I thought about it and decided I'd give it another chance - but just one more. I hope Listing agent can explain the importance of some things to the seller, and I requested exactly that. It's a rural area and some things aren't done exactly like in more populated locations, can't expect them to move at the same speed, for example.
I think it really helps to meet the seller in person when viewing the home, for things to be less formal and more human, so to speak, and build some trust.

Last edited by worldcitizen10; 02-29-2020 at 03:09 PM..

Old 02-29-2020, 03:10 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Quote:
I thought about it and decided I'd give it another chance - but just one more. I hope Listing agent can explain the importance of some things to the seller, and I requested exactly that.
I think it really helps to meet the seller in person when viewing the home, for things to be less formal and more human, so to speak, and build some trust.
Is the seller saying you cannot do any inspections at all - even for your information only, or just that they won't fix any items found during an inspection (i.e., selling "as is")? And no, it doesn't really help to meet the seller in person AT ALL.

Old 02-29-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Is the seller saying you cannot do any inspections at all - even for your information only, or just that they won't fix any items found during an inspection (i.e., selling "as is")? And no, it doesn't really help to meet the seller in person AT ALL.
Apparently, that's not what the seller meant...they crossed out the wrong line or something....not possible to tell, really, why they did what they did. There's not to be as-is language in the contract and they're not opposing any inspections.

Old 02-29-2020, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I And no, it doesn't really help to meet the seller in person AT ALL.
For you may be not...
But for me it 100% helps and preferrable, it is really better to meet the seller in person!
I like to see if I can trust this person and it also helps me figure out if how likely they'd have cared for the house while they lived in it, especially if they lived there for a long time. I also like to get information/help with understanding various aspects of the house systems, special notes etc.
If you're dealing with large lot...good luck, home inspector won't find a thing on it, 100% must meet the seller.
I want to know where the buried cistern is....when the creek dries out...ask about neighbors...how that stove works, where the line runs and how deep is it buried....what plans does the county have for the utilities...best cell provider... who plows the road and where it floods....etc.

Old 02-29-2020, 03:19 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,023,763 times
Quote:

I respectfully but totally disagree.

I could not care less about the seller and would prefer not to meet him/her/them. I'm buying a house, not establishing a relationship. Our first home we bought was from a seller who just couldn't wait to show us all the things he liked...it was a very plain starter home and he only owned it for a few years and TBH his "amenities" were all poorly done cheap cosmetic upgrades. We couldn't wait to rip them all out.

That said, if I got a sense the seller is difficult/negative (through their agent and the negotiating style) I would possibly walk away, anticipating a difficult sale.

Old 02-29-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
I respectfully but totally disagree.

I could not care less about the seller and would prefer not to meet him/her/them. I'm buying a house, not establishing a relationship. Our first home we bought was from a seller who just couldn't wait to show us all the things he liked...it was a very plain starter home and he only owned it for a few years and TBH his "amenities" were all poorly done cheap cosmetic upgrades. We couldn't wait to rip them all out.

That said, if I got a sense the seller is difficult/negative (through their agent and the negotiating style) I would possibly walk away, anticipating a difficult sale.

You guys have polar opposite view.

How are you going to find out things about acreage? You'd have to dig up many acres to find some cistern, tank, valve, line or pipe! Home inspector won't do a jack to find any of that. Your really want to know a lot about the land and most of it you can only get from the seller directly. They can introduce you to neighbors also and help establish contact...you want to learn a bit more about neighbors even if you're not meeting them, at least get general idea. Also, I like to hear about plans about the area the county or some industry might have, and while seller's words aren't a substitute for due diligence it really helps to talk to the seller about this stuff.
I'm personally feeling much better about homes where I met the seller, they offer much info that otherwise would take me endless hours to find out and might be non-discoverable. Information about history of the place and neighbor's activities is also helpful and it can exactly help figure out stuff like prescriptive easement being there potential.

It's actually very odd to buy without meeting the seller, since beginning of ages sellers showed their homes.
I had one seller offer me spend a night in their home, as it was a long drive for me...stuff like that is really helpful.

Last edited by worldcitizen10; 02-29-2020 at 03:40 PM..

Old 02-29-2020, 04:05 PM

1,185 posts, read 751,127 times
Quote:
For you may be not...
But for me it 100% helps and preferrable, it is really better to meet the seller in person!
I like to see if I can trust this person and it also helps me figure out if how likely they'd have cared for the house while they lived in it, especially if they lived there for a long time. I also like to get information/help with understanding various aspects of the house systems, special notes etc.
If you're dealing with large lot...good luck, home inspector won't find a thing on it, 100% must meet the seller.
I want to know where the buried cistern is....when the creek dries out...ask about neighbors...how that stove works, where the line runs and how deep is it buried....what plans does the county have for the utilities...best cell provider... who plows the road and where it floods....etc.
The listing agent and/or your agent can cover all this without the emotional aspect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate