Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2020, 01:08 PM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Are you familiar with this sale, Miss Pip? Was there anything exceptional about this property? Looking at the photos it looked about as garden-variety as a house possibly could to me.
But the property was under contract right around Valentines Day.

Any slowdown from Covid-19 won't be extremely apparent til 30 days or so after consumers became more cautious.

People are WAY more likely to push the brakes on initiating a purchase by making an offer than they are to reneg on a contract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2020, 02:30 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,045,946 times
Quote:
This wasn't my primary residence. This was a rental I bought back in 1978 or so for 17K and rented all those years. It was all capital gain minus the 17K basis. The Fed capital gain on anything over 480K is 20%, Cali Capital gain rate is 12.3% and the new Medicare tax is 3.8%. Capital gains taxes of 36% on a roughly $700K gain is roughly $250K less the usual deductions of commissions, fees and renovation costs which knocked it down to roughly $200K

ahh. you boomers are lucky with those killer house prices.

17k adjusted for inflation is $70k, and there is no such thing as a 70k house today.

Still, glass half full, 500k over 40 years is a great return on 70k in today's dollars.

Old 03-24-2020, 05:14 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Anyone thinking about taking advantage of a "slowdown" in the RE market in Los Angeles due to Coronavirus better think again. No Corona downturn around here. Real estate is selling gangbusters in this area of Los Angeles with multiple offers coming in on nearly everything and properties being overbid on in a desperate effort to get into home ownership. Check out this property: typical 3+2.75 Spanish stucco with detached garage 1650 sq.ft. listed for $885,000

SOLD for $1,270,000--nearly $400,000 ABOVE asking price. Stories like this are common around here. Take a peak at what these lucky homeowners pocketed:

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Los-Angele...5fbnVtYmVyPTU=

LOL...you do realize the lockdown just started? I live in LA to, and I can tell you after the 1992 riots, and the 1994 Northridge quake, the 2008 recession prices dropped.

Do some critical thinking.

As one poster said, give it a month.

Old 03-24-2020, 05:18 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
As usual people with money aren't as affected as many others in times of crisis. If they can afford a million for a house I don't think current events plays that much of a factor in their decision making. They make good money regardless of source and probably view money as nothing but a tool. Sometimes a lot of tools have to come out of the box to get the job done.

Don't lump everyone together.

The OP is short sighted, rents will drop and so will home prices.

Jobs other than the food and beverage, retail, etc. are now having layoffs here in CA. I'm sure other places as well.

They're not going to pay people who really can't work from home more than a month or two of their salary. Teachers for example, you don't need as many teachers, won't need teaching assistants, cafeteria workers, etc. There will be layoffs.

People who do have a lot of money, usually have it because they manage it. They will wait until prices drop to buy.

And they're going to drop.

Old 03-25-2020, 06:06 AM

1,180 posts, read 1,681,636 times
Prices most certainly will drop. I would wait at least a month. People are losing jobs, unemployment is skyrocketing and we haven't even peeked yet with virus in this country. Buckle up, the ride is long and bumpy ahead in my opinion.

Old 03-25-2020, 07:02 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Give it a month. There will be a slowdown, guaranteed. Everyone with investable wealth is 20-25% poorer than a month ago. Hollywood is completely on hold.

Old 03-25-2020, 01:17 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
LOL...you do realize the lockdown just started? I live in LA to, and I can tell you after the 1992 riots, and the 1994 Northridge quake, the 2008 recession prices dropped.

Do some critical thinking.

As one poster said, give it a month.

Doesn't matter when it was listed, only when it sold, and you'll notice the sell date was March 20 when we were right in the thick of the Corona.

Doomsayers are forgetting one thing: LA is such a hot market and inventory is so low that the foreigners who brings millions of $$$'s in cash to this country will want to invest it in the only tangible asset that won't lose its value: real estate.

Old 03-25-2020, 01:17 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,139,432 times
Considering California likely not to reopen in any capacity till mid May, i expect real estate prices to drop like a hammer. Millions are people will be deciding mortgage or food come April and we all know what they will pick. I am thinking almost all lenders will be offering minimum 6 months payment suspension as otherwise foreclosure rate will be crazy. I am in socal and even those that recently went in to escrow failed out as appraisal either came very low or banks are cutting it even further. Basically we are in to long term meltdown

Old 03-25-2020, 01:20 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandMatt View Post
I don't see any evidence of 20% fatality rate due to coronavirus. Where did that figure come from?
I can guess where he pulled that figure from.

Hospitalization rates may approach 20%, but certainly not the death rate.

EDIT: I just heard on the news that we already have about 600 people hospitalized with the coronavirus in southeast Michigan...and the hospitals were near capacity when this started.

Last edited by jackmichigan; 03-25-2020 at 01:33 PM..

Old 03-25-2020, 01:24 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,139,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
I can guess where he pulled that figure from.

Hospitalization rates may approach 20%, but certainly not the death rate.

Any death not resulting from car accident is now assumed to be from COVID-19. Yes i know it's stupid but that probably would explain the number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate