Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 12:21 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,683,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
It astounds me that people even consider buying or selling houses with this virus just starting to rear its ugly head. I, and many others believe that this is only the tip of the iceberg.

Are the RE agents selling these houses remotely from home? I certainly hope so.

Please don't tell me clients are viewing these houses with walk-throughs? They are not only jeopardizing their own families, the home owners are letting complete strangers (virtual carriers) in for showings.

It's just plain stupidity IMO. What good is a fancy new house if you are in a hospital bed, dying or possibly even dead after the closing date?

I wouldn't even want to walk into someone's house, let alone MOVE into it, not knowing if every surface I touch has the virus on it.
Well they're certainly not here in CA.

The OP doesn't know what they're talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2020, 10:12 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,200,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well they're certainly not here in CA.

The OP doesn't know what they're talking about.
My neighbors condo sold in 6 days in the heart of Corona for asking price. She didn’t have open houses no need she had 3 offers in days. If you price your place right it’s still selling. It’s mainly the service sector that’s lost their jobs and they can’t afford real estate and interest rates are low.

Old 03-28-2020, 11:01 AM

351 posts, read 322,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
My neighbors condo sold in 6 days in the heart of Corona for asking price. She didn’t have open houses no need she had 3 offers in days. If you price your place right it’s still selling. It’s mainly the service sector that’s lost their jobs and they can’t afford real estate and interest rates are low.
Date listed?

Old 03-28-2020, 11:42 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,200,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franniejacks View Post
date listed?
3/16/20

Old 03-28-2020, 01:03 PM

15,598 posts, read 40,512,894 times
15.8% of homes that came on the market in my city since March 20th have gone under contract. That is low for this time of year, but clearly there are some buyers that are out looking for homes still.

We aren't doing open houses here, but showings are still happening with Facebook live opens, video tours, and then wipe-downs between showings for people that have ruled it in after seeing video.

Old 03-29-2020, 07:36 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,212,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
15.8% of homes that came on the market in my city since March 20th have gone under contract. That is low for this time of year, but clearly there are some buyers that are out looking for homes still.

We aren't doing open houses here, but showings are still happening with Facebook live opens, video tours, and then wipe-downs between showings for people that have ruled it in after seeing video.
My first thought was, its very irresponsible of agents to be setting up showings of homes during this very difficult time in our country. Wipe down or no wipe down, I'm sure there is an opportunity of these buyers and agents to become ill as there are multiple people viewing the home, just at different times/days.

That being said, RE agents are people as well who need to generate income to pay their bills and put food on the table for their families. Its a tough call.

I do disagree that the people unemployed or losing their jobs are only in the service or retail industry. ALL companies will be effected by this shutdown, not just low income people working at restaurants and other services. Unemployment will be one of the main factors that real estate will drop in prices. Its just a matter of how much of a drop and for how long, which now is way too early to tell.

Old 03-29-2020, 09:57 AM

12,909 posts, read 9,645,895 times
Quote:
For now. There will be layoffs in other sectors soon

Old 03-30-2020, 11:46 AM

1,695 posts, read 1,288,106 times
Quote:
It started in the service sector, but we are starting to see the trickle down from that. Restaurants slow down or shut down, it directly correlates to farmers. Manufacturing is being shut down. This is only going to get much, much worse.

Old 03-30-2020, 11:50 AM

12,909 posts, read 9,645,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
It started in the service sector, but we are starting to see the trickle down from that. Restaurants slow down or shut down, it directly correlates to farmers. Manufacturing is being shut down. This is only going to get much, much worse.
Keep in mind the systems are pretty backlogged as well. Some of the applications have not gone through. It only gets worse from here.

Old 03-30-2020, 01:24 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,683,660 times
Quote:
Well that is going to be a "thing of the past" for the time being.

Your neighbor got into the last lifeboat leaving the Titanic.

The loss of jobs is going to be much more than just the service sector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Exactly, how anyone can think that the only people losing jobs are those who work in restaurants, bars, and retail has little knowledge of how this works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate