Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 09:08 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,283,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
And if you remember from my past threads, we installed a Delta In2Ition showerhead in the master bathroom and a 5.5 inch Moen Engage with Magnetix in the secondary bathroom. The guest bathroom still has its original Delta showerhead. Based on advice from previous threads, plus the fact that we rarely use that shower, that one isn't worth upgrading.
I had original Delta cheap shower heads, which I replaced with Speakman Assana “anystream” models for under $20 each. These are chrome-colored plastic but have good flow rates and adjustable spray. Happy with them and if one eventually quits or breaks it’s a cheap replacement. So far after 18 months no issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 09:50 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,360,387 times
Quote:
So I guess going with a high-end luxury brand such as Brizo or Rohl is pointless for resale? My guess it is like designer clothes as a personal status symbol.
Exactly correct. Unless you happen to have one of the 100 or so people on earth who care about the brand names of bathroom and kitchen fixtures, as a potential buyer.

Look, you keep asking variants of the same question over and over here. The truth is, that if the kitchen and bathroom fixtures work and don't look weird, NO ONE CARES. If you want to spend a crapton of time and money obsessing about your showerhead and faucets and buying "the very best", that's your prerogative. Just stop trying to rationalize it as something that will somehow add "value" to anyone but you.

Old 04-30-2020, 10:12 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,072,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I bought my current home that had cheap fixtures installed by the builder. I replaced them with upgraded fixtures within days after closing that I preferred. I wasn't going to try to nickel and dime the seller since when I bought the home the market was hot and houses were selling quickly. If my home had higher-end fixtures when I bought it, I wouldn't have paid more to buy the home.
Theres a saying, the best house on the block is the worst buy.
It doesn't sell for any more because its real value comes from the value of its neighbors.

When we moved into our first house the sellers took the mailbox with them.
I threw any mail that came for them, well... I couldn't find their mailbox.

Old 04-30-2020, 10:13 AM

37,655 posts, read 46,092,359 times
Quote:
I know I have asked whether or not fancy showerheads and sensor faucets help with resale value, and the consensus was no. However, on the opposite end of the spectrum, I would like to know, do off-brand plumbing fixtures hurt resale value?

While you can get a nice-looking off-brand faucet or showerhead for the fraction of the price of a typical Moen, Delta, or Kohler, I wonder, do they hurt resale value vs. going with a trusted brand name? Perhaps in addition to the untested quality of some of these off-brand fixtures, there is also the potential liability issue if something goes wrong.
Honestly no looks at the brand of fixtures in a house. Not sure why you are even thinking that this would be an issue. If the fixtures look dated or in poor shape, then THAT would be an issue.

Old 04-30-2020, 10:15 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,072,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Exactly correct. Unless you happen to have one of the 100 or so people on earth who care about the brand names of bathroom and kitchen fixtures, as a potential buyer.

Look, you keep asking variants of the same question over and over here. The truth is, that if the kitchen and bathroom fixtures work and don't look weird, NO ONE CARES. If you want to spend a crapton of time and money obsessing about your showerhead and faucets and buying "the very best", that's your prerogative. Just stop trying to rationalize it as something that will somehow add "value" to anyone but you.
hahaha, when we looked at one house the owner was annoying me going on about the new carpet as if that gave it extra value.
I said I don't like the carpet, I'll be ripping it out. That shut him up.

Old 04-30-2020, 11:34 AM

7,328 posts, read 12,364,611 times
Note my previous threads weren't really about brands (even though I did mention them), but more about features/style. My showerhead thread was about whether or not fancy showerheads (such as rainshowers or handheld showerheads) would increase resale value; I only mentioned brand names since I shared what models I have. My motion sensor faucet thread speaks itself, motion sensor faucets. This thread is more about whether or not going with off-brands would hurt the resale value vs. going with well known name brands.

Old 04-30-2020, 12:09 PM

14,551 posts, read 12,192,089 times
The difference between a high quality faucet and a cheap one is what, $100 max? Not sure why you think these things matter in the purchase of even a modestly priced home. I dare say you are far more interested in faucets than most people.

Old 04-30-2020, 02:14 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,426,926 times
99.99% do not even know the difference, lol.

Of those who do know, they do not care.

This is such a trivial thing regarding home purchasing.

Old 04-30-2020, 05:29 PM

3,609 posts, read 7,937,876 times
Can we talk about doorknobs now?

Old 04-30-2020, 05:31 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,605,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruebas View Post
Not for major brands. For example, most buyers won’t know the difference between high-end Delta vs. low-end Delta.

BUT when I’m looking to buy, if I see box store house brands (i.e. Glacier Bay), I usually run. It generally means the sellers cheaped out in other areas as well. Areas that I can’t see and that matter.
Funny, my Glacier Bay kitchen faucet at my snowbird condo has given me much better service than my Moen back north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate