Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 06:04 PM

2,281 posts, read 1,581,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toast987 View Post
So the other day, a buyer came to our house for a showing. Then his agent left us a perfect feedback saying that the buyer really liked the house and may put an offer. The next day I asked my selling agent and she says that the buyer is not a serious buyer. He has his own home in the same city, so she isn’t sure if he even wants to buy.

I am confused. Why do people want to waste their and our time if they have no intention of buying? Something doesn’t add up
1. It's good to see how to decorate, upgrade or furnish your own home or see what not to do.
2. Sometimes they do it to make doubly sue the room size is too small for them or their kids.
3. Sometimes seeing it in person can change their mind to it isn't so bad even if it has a 1-car garage or the master is upstairs, etc..

Last edited by frankrj; 05-06-2020 at 06:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2020, 07:24 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,681,636 times
As an investor that frequents open houses for a multitude of reasons, but primarily to gauge value in a current market, I would never make an appointment to do this. Unless I personally knew the seller, I would never waste someone's time, especially in these pandemic times.
Poor judgement by the realtor and if the buyer is not really ready, terrible buyer judgement with all that is going on out there now.
Save your browsing for open houses please.

Old 05-06-2020, 07:40 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Sometimes people just want to get a feel for the market, such as the features that a house may be expected to have within a certain price range. Maybe they're just trying to gauge the value of their own house.

I go to open houses sometimes for that reason, but I would never take up somebody's time with an appointment for that purpose.
My parents used to go to new construction/model homes when we were kids on the weekends as a weekend activity. I think we went to open houses too if the area was interesting. My parents liked to get ideas about decorating or design or just to see what a new neighborhood (or fancy neighborhood) was like.

That said, they never went so far as to get a buyer’s agent. I think if you get a buyer’s agent, you are pretty serious about buying. Yes, a lot of people might have to make a contingent offer, but that is not uncommon. Some people don’t want to put their house up for sale until they find something they want to buy in their price range.

Old 05-06-2020, 08:39 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
your actual feedback is "not interested". Don't waste any more time thinking about it.

Old 05-06-2020, 09:25 PM

7,705 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Nearly all houses come up as Open Houses in this area, so in pre-COVID-19 times, one or both of us would attend nicer-looking houses, based on photos, especially those houses that are my same model, for the same reasons as BostonMike7 said. I also like to speak with the agents showing the property, as sort of a pre-interview of their professionalism and personality, and also to learn more about their views on the market.

I, too, would never set up a viewing to waste a seller's time, not then, and especially not now. I just can't even imagine someone being so thoughtless as to do that. It will be quite awhile before we go out to "kick the tires" again, and I will be doing my lookie-loo'ing online for the foreseeable future.

I was very unsatisfied with my little house and the neighborhood before the pandemic, but I have come to appreciate the area I live in much, much more recently.

Old 05-06-2020, 09:53 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
So the other day, a buyer came to our house for a showing. Then his agent left us a perfect feedback saying that the buyer really liked the house and may put an offer. The next day I asked my selling agent and she says that the buyer is not a serious buyer. He has his own home in the same city, so she isn’t sure if he even wants to buy.

I am confused. Why do people want to waste their and our time if they have no intention of buying? Something doesn’t add up
I toured a lot of houses I didn’t end up buying. I’m not gonna know if I want to buy it until I see it. A pic can only show so much. It’s not a waste of time.

Ps. Your agent.....has exactly z e r o information about another agents buyer and their reasons. She’s just trying to make you feel better. When I was house shopping I had my own house. It meant nothing and it was not even in the equation as to why I was looking for another house. I wasn’t selling. I didn’t tell my agent anything more than I was looking to buy another house and these are my must haves. That’s pretty much all they need to know. I had my own financing.
No sellers agent had anything more than the info needed for the offer

Old 05-06-2020, 10:25 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Quote:
She says she spoke to the buyers agent and he said the buyer has a house to sell before buying another one

That's not the same as "not being a serious buyer."

Old 05-06-2020, 11:30 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,203,545 times
2nding the "free entertainment" especially now when many things are locked down and people are bored. There seem to be a ton of people going to home improvement stores right now and wandering around. . . because they are one of few things open.

Old 05-07-2020, 06:07 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
She says she spoke to the buyers agent and he said the buyer has a house to sell before buying another one

This is what people do.
They look at market offerings while finalizing the decision to sell their current house. They are in a decision-making phase of the process, and need to feel good about their next landing point.

It IS inconvenient to live in a house you have on the market.
You have to keep the house presentable for showings, leave for showings, tolerate tire kicking people who may actually turn into your buyers, etc. Etc. Etc.

If this bit of inconvenience is this stressful for you, you truly should considering moving out.
Clean one time.
You or your agent pop in between showings to make sure all is in order, and lights are on or off, etc.
COVID-19 precautions just reinforce the value of moving out.
Your next viewing might well be with sincere, qualified buyers who drag infection into your house and touch everything they see.

Old 05-07-2020, 06:23 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,497,447 times
When I wanted to upgrade from my starter condo to a larger property, I was in no real hurry - and took 18 months (not every weekend) looking at homes, either during Open Houses of existing homes or models at new construction. Nothing ever motivated me until I saw the house I did end up buying (and from where I now am typing): I took 15 minutes to tour the place and then signed the purchase contract, with deposit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate