Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 06:47 AM

9,881 posts, read 4,650,430 times

Advertisements

I think as soon as the financial realities of a move out of NYC kick in many will drop those plans. As tempting as it is things like residential property taxes, a car & insurance can be just as daunting as some high rent or housing areas in NY. NY transplants also like a lot of stuff they got in the city but not might be able to get in the burbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2020, 07:14 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,955,534 times
A large majority of people who live in NYC are in love with the IDEA of living in the city, not the actual city, and they pretty much lie to themselves. TV shows and movies like to romanticize it but the reality is it's ridiculously over priced, dirty and inconvenient. If you're banking $400k+ a year and can actually afford an okay sized apartment and afford to take advantage of the amenities the city has to offer than fine, but for people making average pay who can hardly afford a studio apartment I'm sure they're looking at buying a nice 3 bedroom house outside of the city right now.

3/2 house - $2,500 a month
car and insurance - $500 month

Vs $4,000 a month for a small 2 bedroom apartment and no vehicle and $12 beers at the local pub.

Old 05-21-2020, 08:11 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,277,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
We are experiencing so much growth here in Colorado with tons of highway expansion, vast tracts of beige and gray housing, strip malls, parking lots, etc. I find it all so depressing. We are escaping soon to Vermont, where much of that sort of development is discouraged.
I live in Vermont and the locals are worried about the influx of "flatlanders" moving to "their" State. They say it is going to be like another post 911. I don't think so, but I could be wrong.

Old 05-21-2020, 08:48 AM

9,881 posts, read 4,650,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
I live in Vermont and the locals are worried about the influx of "flatlanders" moving to "their" State. They say it is going to be like another post 911. I don't think so, but I could be wrong.

Heard stories like that. Some get tired of residential living and/or bought the first thing they could find just to get out and realized years later it wasn't for them. One of the biggest complaints if anything is the responsibility of home ownership including landscaping, home maintenance and the cost of utilities. Can't heat or cool a multi story or free standing home the same way one can a single floor apartment. Also those who got used to readily available public transportation get frustrated at car costs although they like the freedom of driving they don't like the cost.

Old 05-21-2020, 10:11 AM

3,771 posts, read 1,524,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
There are over eight million people in New York City; even the most generous attribution of those moving because of the coronavirus would be a few thousand. If ten thousand people moved out of New York tomorrow no one would know.
are we talking manhattan or all the boroughs? manhattan actually doesn't have than many residents, barely beating out the bronx, but well behind queens and bk.

there are many parts of eastern qns, southern bk, and basically all of SI that are fairly suburban.

Old 05-21-2020, 11:23 AM

30,372 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Will this make it an opportune time to invest in NYC?
It may if it falls to 50%-65% of its max value.

SALT was already having an impact and now covid is going to accelerate leaving expensive cities.

Old 05-21-2020, 11:35 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,383,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
Well, we flatlanders are heading that way. I love that state and that development isn't the main priority. Colorado had been ruined by growth and that saddens me so much. I'm not willing to tolerate it anymore.

Old 05-21-2020, 12:16 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,649,334 times
One of my best friends lives in NYC and tells me she's moving out as soon as she can. The whole point of NYC is to not worry about living in a fancy place because you're always out and about. Take that away with a thing like a pandemic, and you're stuck in a tiny shoebox for months. This is going to probably happen again in a few years, according to the experts, so I see the demand going down.

Old 05-21-2020, 12:33 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
People are underestimating the amount of cultural and intellectual capital a place like NYC has.

You can't replicate that atmosphere just anywhere. The "captains of the world" might relocate some of their business to a place like Raleigh or Nashville. They're not going to move to middle of nowhere Kentucky.

The movers and shakers want the amenities and elite opportunities that a place like NYC provides. I think there will definitely be an exodus of some jobs or maybe industries, but I don't think NYC's place as the American economic and cultural capital is going anywhere.

Old 05-21-2020, 02:18 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,626,412 times
Another place people from NYC are flocking to is Florida especially the Miami / S. Florida area since the SaLT legislation.
Many wealthy New Yorkers are keeping the real estate market there afloat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate