Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2020, 08:23 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I actually don't mind mowing the lawn that much. The work that really bothers me is the weeding and constant clean up of leaves and catkins during the February-April period. But I don't think leaf cleaning services exist. Who knows.
Landscapers do what you hire them to do. If you only want then to maintain the flower beds and clean out leaves, etc, they will. But they could cut your grass so quickly you should just include that as well.

Look, there really isn't anything major going on here, certainly nothing worth selling the house and uprooting your whole life.

You're just reacting to new routines that you don't like. Now that you know there are options, pursue those options to make your life easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2020, 10:35 AM

126 posts, read 81,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Landscapers do what you hire them to do. If you only want then to maintain the flower beds and clean out leaves, etc, they will. But they could cut your grass so quickly you should just include that as well.

Look, there really isn't anything major going on here, certainly nothing worth selling the house and uprooting your whole life.

You're just reacting to new routines that you don't like. Now that you know there are options, pursue those options to make your life easier.
Nothing major?

Reread the post.

He is stressed out more than ever. Finances are not where they should be because of cost of owning. That is major.

Time to sell. Easy decision. Never get attached to material things in this life. Its a waste of thought.

Old 05-31-2020, 11:14 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unicus View Post
Nothing major?

Reread the post.

He is stressed out more than ever. Finances are not where they should be because of cost of owning. That is major.
Um, no. He's fine:

Quote:

Yes, I will be able to afford both a pool service and lawn service. My 9% pay raise is effective July 1.
Quote:

I am a single 36 yo gay guy with no kids and will always be single with no kids.
He's stressed out because he is learning the hard way about home maintenance. But it's something he can easily change, and he's learning.

He invested in a house he can afford, and he's getting free renovation from his parents. He just doesn't have as much discretionary income, but he's not giving away rent every month.

He's far from broke.

Old 05-31-2020, 12:52 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,070,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Can't you just empty and close the pool for the duration of your stay there?
It is very damaging to a pool to leave it empty long term. The structure of the pool and the decking rely on the weight of the water.

https://www.clarkrubber.com.au/blogs...e-a-pool-empty

Old 05-31-2020, 01:10 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
It is very damaging to a pool to leave it empty long term. The structure of the pool and the decking rely on the weight of the water.

https://www.clarkrubber.com.au/blogs...e-a-pool-empty
Then keep it filled, but leave it covered? OP does seem to be in "glass half full" mode; most of us have to pay big bucks to sketchy handymen or exploitative contractors to get home improvements done...if we can get them done at all.

And it IS a GOOD investment.

But I also realize that every lifestyle is not for everyone. OP, did someone talk you into homeownership?

Old 05-31-2020, 01:25 PM

6,360 posts, read 4,184,849 times
Many people who have a pool have it serviced by a pool company on a regular basis and the older homeowners who are not comfortable cutting their own lawn have a service do that as well. These items, along with yard maintenance are things that are usually considered prior to buying a single family home. For those who are gainfully employed and rather not do these chores, often pay for those services while others, even those with children, might prefer to do as much as possible on their own and enjoy doing it.

You choose and or decide what you are most comfortable with that works best for you and perhaps owning your own home might not be a financially viable option.

Last edited by Rickcin; 05-31-2020 at 02:04 PM..

Old 05-31-2020, 01:39 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Rent goes up and up and up. Your mortgage remains the same.

If you go to contd tr townhouse, they will pay someone to take care of the outside of your house and then bill you for it. You could just hire a gardener and a maintenance guy now.

renting you can be forced to move out. You have to live by someone else's rules. Can you have a pet? A fish? Can you put up blinds instead of curtains? Add an outlet? Have a back yard bonfire with friends? What if you tire of white walls? Decide you want hardwood instead of grody carpeting? Either not an option or you have to pay for improvements to someone else's property. What if you have a SO who loves magnolia trees or Paw Paws. Can you plant one at your apartments or condo? (generally no).

There is a lot to consider, but paying someone else to handle maintenance and yard care at an apartment or condo certainly does have its appeal. Of course, as mentioned, you can just hire out that work at your house. It will cost a little more at first, but in the long run, it will be cheaper than renting.

Old 05-31-2020, 01:43 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Disenchanted with home ownership so far-front-yard.jpg
Quote:
I hope one or both of those services will provide substantial relief for me at a reasonable cost. Maybe that's the key to happiness. I don't mind doing some yard/pool work but doing EVERYTHING on my own is a little too much.
I certainly understand. We ahve an acre of land, a large swimming pool and a huge all wood house with wooden porches all over. The kids all moved away, so it is pretty much just me doing all the mowing, trimming, fixing, painting, burning (brush), etc etc. We hardly use most of it anymore.

However we really do not want to move. I look at what we can get for what we pay in mortgage and taxes and it is pretty lame by comparison. Our kid love to visit. We might use that pool year. We know the sensible thing is to sell ti and move to a smaller place or even a condo, but then what would we do? Where would we put the chickens?

The attached picture is our front yard yesterday. Where can you find an apartment or condo like that?Click image for larger version

Name:	front yard.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	220877

Old 05-31-2020, 01:47 PM

126 posts, read 81,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Rent goes up and up and up. Your mortgage remains the same.

If you go to contd tr townhouse, they will pay someone to take care of the outside of your house and then bill you for it. You could just hire a gardener and a maintenance guy now.

renting you can be forced to move out. You have to live by someone else's rules. Can you have a pet? A fish? Can you put up blinds instead of curtains? Add an outlet? Have a back yard bonfire with friends? What if you tire of white walls? Decide you want hardwood instead of grody carpeting? Either not an option or you have to pay for improvements to someone else's property. What if you have a SO who loves magnolia trees or Paw Paws. Can you plant one at your apartments or condo? (generally no).

There is a lot to consider, but paying someone else to handle maintenance and yard care at an apartment or condo certainly does have its appeal. Of course, as mentioned, you can just hire out that work at your house. It will cost a little more at first, but in the long run, it will be cheaper than renting.
1. You can always rent a place that is less expensive. You are NEVER tied down to a rental, ever. If they raise it too high, you move.

2. HOA fees are deadly and way to high. Nothing is free with these people.

3. Good point about the "rules" of renting.

The bottom line is that the guy does not seem to be happy with home ownership, and should strongly consider selling and enjoy life.

Last time I checked, this life only happens one time...although reincarnation is likely for many that don't evolve out of this place.

Last edited by unicus; 05-31-2020 at 03:10 PM..

Old 05-31-2020, 01:49 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Then keep it filled, but leave it covered? OP does seem to be in "glass half full" mode; most of us have to pay big bucks to sketchy handymen or exploitative contractors to get home improvements done...if we can get them done at all.

And it IS a GOOD investment.

But I also realize that every lifestyle is not for everyone. OP, did someone talk you into homeownership?
Well, he certainly thought about it long enough. There was his long thread about whether or not a 1200 sq. ft. house is too small for one person. It doesn't seem like he was coerced into buying IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate