Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 11:15 AM

739 posts, read 2,949,334 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone. I too, like color and the neutralizing trend just kills me! Jenne03, it would pain me to paint the bath and daughter's room as I think most people with a daughter would love it. But we will if we have too, I'd be apt to paint the bath before the room

Agent and feedback that we've gotten says shows great, people aren't ready to buy, or they have listed their home, or they love it, they will list soon. I honestly wonder how many of our showings are people who actually CAN buy now. Average DOM is 63 now in our neighborhood, nothing has moved since we listed but one that was a bargain basement price and had been listed for 1 year. Things are starting to move now, but not that much in our range yet. She just says we are stressing for no reason, it hasn't been on that long. I just want someone to love it enough to make an offer... even if it was lower, then we can talk. I've never been in a market like this before, this is our 4th home and the rest sold quickly.

Our competition appears to be new developer "scrape off" homes in the same neighborhood. However, they are priced higher by, on average, 100K. Our negatives have been smaller kitchen but we have the largest yard (don't people still care about yards????) of any I've seen. Also, there have to be people who want landscaping, window coverings, built-ins, things we have added that these new homes don't have. I know that I don't want a new home again- too many kinks to work out and money spent on window treatments!!!

Here is the outside. It is prettier now, the landscaping is blooming and the front isn't so stark but this pic was taken in early March.
Attached Thumbnails
Feedback on my home- yikes!-1111svinestfrontforinternetuse.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 11:19 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Empty nesters have grandkids over often, so I wouldn't neutralize. I thought it looked great. I wasn't too keen on the kids bathroom, but I don't think it detracts enough to put any effort into it.

The only thing I noticed was that the pictures looked like they were taken with a wide angle lens and you appear to have some distortion that wasn't corrected. It's not a huge deal, but just something I noticed.

Honestly, it looks great. Unless there is something wrong with the exterior of your home, unusual lot, or neighborhood you just need to be priced well, and it will sell.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:29 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,333,333 times
For me the home looks great - it is not cluttered at all.
The 'only' thing I noticed after reading the description and seeing the outside pic, was that I did not expect the 'contemporary' flair on the inside. I expected more of a bungalow type home - just like the outside suggests.

This is not a negative, it is just all about taste. Many buyers have a very hard time seeing past the decor (wall colors, existing furniture etc). How many times have you seen those home shows on tv and the first comments from the potential buyers make negative comments about furniture, carpet etc. It is all so silly, but definitely reality.

I definitely think you will find a buyer soon though.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:31 AM

523 posts, read 1,680,523 times
Beautiful home! Love the tile in the bathrooms. You've given me some ideas.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:28 PM

649 posts, read 3,444,731 times
I LOVE it!! The only thing I thought was, I might not buy it if I had small kids - I'd be afraid they'd wreck such a beautiful house. It looks huge (maybe that's the wide-angle lens), and I would guess that most people with kids probably (maybe?) can't afford that much house. They might want more bedrooms and less living space (LR/Kitchen). The yard would be a plus, though. The decorating (except for the girl's room - which might be a bit difficult to imagine as a boy's room, the way it is currently decorated) seems more in line with upscale, childless professionals, or empty-nesters. At least to me. Those people would be able to afford it and seem to live in spaces like this. (I'm sure I'm generalizing, but isn't that the name of the game here?)

When my son was smaller, I, and most of my friends with little to medium aged kids, were afraid to take them into gorgeous places like this, for fear that they'd destroy something. (I mean, solid, light-colored carpet in a PLAY room? I can just see that with a big Kool-Aid stain on it in about 5 minutes!)So it might be hard for a family with small kids to imagine LIVING here.

Just my two cents. I'm sure there are people who don't allow kool-aid in the play room.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:51 PM

739 posts, read 2,949,334 times
wow sweetbeat, I guess that is a compliment. It is an expensive home, but in an area with lots of families. The carpet is a tanish color with flecks, a berber type. It seems lighter in the pics I guess.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:29 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,853,374 times
It's beautiful and beautifully decorated. Best of luck!

Old 04-28-2008, 02:30 PM

110 posts, read 502,446 times
This looks like a model home. As a buyer I'd love to see more homes like this. The most appealing thing to me is that I wouldn't have to decorate. Dont change a thing.

D.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:21 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
I'm in agreement with everyone else. You have done everything right.

1. Your window coverings are OPEN! LOVE to see that.
2. Minimuim furniture. There is NOTHING to take out. The ONLY thing I would even remotely consider moving IF the scale in the pic is correct would be one of the two chairs that back to the dining room. If they are not as wide as they look in the picture then they are fine.
3. NO CLUTTER! Can you come over You really have kids? Living there?
4. No family photos all over the walls. Good there.
5. Kitchen counters clear of clutter same for bathroom vanities.
6. Even the "kid stuff" in the basement is just their personal belongings and no crayon art on the walls. Pretty gender/age neutral there.

Maybe add some outdoor color now if it has gotten warm enough. I'd add LOTS to really make them think "WOW" even before they get inside. That way they are completely blown away from the moment they pull up all the way thru. Same for backyard if possible. Put out LOTS of color even in pots if you can on the porch and patio. Not too many though. One or two should do it depending on the size of the space. Maybe if you feel like doing something would be to add some molding around the mirrors in the bathrooms to give them more of a standout but otherwise they look great. Don't even have to do that really. I'd say your house is ready to go and no worries at all.

Now, can you come over. I'm not moving but the kids rooms need to be cleaned out

Old 04-28-2008, 03:34 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
If you've had that many showings w/o it's either price or condition. The condition looks good but what about price? Clearly people think it's good if they are coming in #s like that. What does your agent say?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate