Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many years?
1-5 years 40 33.06%
6-10 years 29 23.97%
11-15 17 14.05%
16-20 13 10.74%
21-30 14 11.57%
31+ 8 6.61%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 05:32 PM

4,541 posts, read 12,407,757 times

Advertisements

I've lived here 27 years.

When I was house shopping, I wanted the oldest house I could afford that was still in an intact single family home neighborhood. In San Diego, that's difficult because most of San Diego's growth occurred post WWII, and the bulk of its older neighborhoods have been redeveloped, and not in a good way.

I found a house built in the early 1940s, but I quickly realized that too much of the interior had been remodeled and updated, and that I wasn't much of a yard person. A back patio is all I really needed. Also, I noticed that while the neighborhood was walkable, you could only walk around the neighborhood, not to anyplace in particular.

Therefore, within 5 years, I began window shopping. Fortunately, my house value has nearly quadrupled, so I'll have some equity to take with me, but it also means I can't afford to relocate within San Diego. If I move it will be to another area.

I could probably move now, but I'm kept here by the general hassle of packing, moving, and prepping the house for sale, and deciding where to move to. Also, if I time my sale better, I could have a more equity to take with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2020, 05:34 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,932,406 times
I've lived in my home for 31 years and still love the place. It has everything I need and nothing that I don't. I'll most likely move out someday feet first.

Old 06-21-2020, 10:51 PM

327 posts, read 456,863 times
I've been here in our suburban Long Island house for just over a decade now.

We moved here to be closer to my wife's work and her family once our daughter started crawling and our NYC apartment got too small.

I'm not a big fan of the house or neighborhood, but we'll likely make it work at least until the kids graduate from the local public schools and she retires. It's a Cape which is a house style I'm not fond of (2nd floor is the attic, can't have traditional duct AC, 2nd floor is too hot in summer and too cold in winter, as a tall person I bump my head near the corners in the attic or coming down the stairs to basement if I forget to duck). Ideally I'd live somewhere that's more modern one day, someplace that's warmer and cheaper.

The focus this summer is get some home improvements done and see if we can refinance the mortgage, so we can pay off the house closer to when we retire as opposed to deep into retirement. If we can't refinance then I'd be inclined to leave here sooner, in another 10-12 years.

Old 06-22-2020, 06:47 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,322,026 times
It will be 3 years in October. It's a smaller house, perfect for me and I pay much less for my mortgage than rent would cost me anywhere in this area. I will probably stay until I die or can't take care of the house, yard and myself any longer. It's a nice neighborhood with friendly neighbors who watch out for each other.

Old 06-22-2020, 06:53 AM

829 posts, read 629,902 times
We retired and relocated to the new house we'd built for retirement 10.5 months (that had been completed just 6 months prior). The house is almost exactly the same size as the one we'd left, but is all on one floor - and it's on the outskirts of a few beach resort communities. We can avoid the tourist areas during the peak season, but are close enough to go the beaches or the downtown resort towns when we want to. We moved from a busy metropolitan area to a quasi-rural area and love the small town feel but with a lot of restaurants due to the tourism. We're very happy with the one story house (with a basement) and are glad we window shopped for so many years in anticipation of building, as it seems "just right".

Old 06-22-2020, 07:56 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,689,543 times
My home was built in 1885. I am the third owner and have been here 37 years. I will never leave. Average ownership since this house was built is 45 years. If our town keeps growing at the present rate, by the year 2050 we will be back up to the population we had in 1885.

There are large numbers of people moving to Maine because it is a four season paradise. Where would you rather be; on the 38th floor of a condo in New York or on a hundred acres with an awesome view and a large house for less money in the safest state in the nation?

Old 06-22-2020, 08:22 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,433,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
My home was built in 1885. I am the third owner and have been here 37 years. I will never leave. Average ownership since this house was built is 45 years. If our town keeps growing at the present rate, by the year 2050 we will be back up to the population we had in 1885.

There are large numbers of people moving to Maine because it is a four season paradise. Where would you rather be; on the 38th floor of a condo in New York or on a hundred acres with an awesome view and a large house for less money in the safest state in the nation?
I love that. The house I grew up in was 200 years old. It was also part of the underground railroad. I loved the history. It was very modest, but just a beautiful home. Unfortunately, we weren't able to keep it after my parents divorced. The house my dad grew up in was in his family for over 100 years. 5 generations lived there.

My current house is certainly not historic (built in 1997). But we have been here for 15 years with no plans to move. It's our forever home. My oldest daughter was 6 months old when we bought it. I think there is a lot to be said for having the security of the house you grew up in. I want that for my kids.

Old 06-22-2020, 09:01 AM

14,496 posts, read 12,128,212 times
We're going on 11 years here in this house... and this place is perfect for us Good house, better barn, beautiful property surrounded by wildlife and nature. Happy animals with plenty of room, an eagle nest in our pasture, deer and bear and all kinds of other critters we watch and enjoy. Far enough from any *city* that I'm not bothered by much that goes on there, unless we *want* to visit it. Friendly local town and community, plenty of people who want to move to this area, pretty much everything we need within about 15 miles.

When we move from here, it will be after all our animals have passed, and we're ready to retire. From here, I hope to move into an RV and drive, finally travel a bit when we no longer have to be home every night.

Old 06-22-2020, 09:43 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,800,865 times
We are still in our fist house. It's a 1911 Foursquare that needed everything restored from top to bottom. It took decades because the rental properties always took priority over our house. It's been restored and now it's time to start over. Most of it has been done a second time, but, the tenants are moving out of the last rental at the end of the month. So our house will be once again put on the back burner if the rental doesn't sell quick. We've been here for 32 years. I love the house, and it will be pristine in a year or two. It will be exactly the way I want it. Why move and start over?

Old 06-22-2020, 09:47 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,052,712 times
6 years, with no plans to move for the next 15 or so years.

Any future move will be linked to a major life change such as retirement, and even then I am not sure we will move, just that it would be an appropriate time to think about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate