Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 12:31 AM

7,709 posts, read 5,460,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
Would you buy a house in a subdivision that borders a community park?
No, I avoid parks, schools, mixed housing/poor zoning (e.g. apartments or triplexes, etc. and houses near each other).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2020, 08:07 AM

45,420 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
No, I avoid parks, schools, mixed housing/poor zoning (e.g. apartments or triplexes, etc. and houses near each other).
Good luck with that where you live.

Old 07-09-2020, 08:37 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,032,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I would not. I wouldn't like being within earshot of noisy events that might occur there. Games, big family gatherings, screaming and yelling, etc. I prefer more separation from other humans. Yes, I might use the park, but when I'm not I want to get away from those who are.

Funny, people often regard a house next to a cemetery as being less desirable. IMHO it would be quieter, more peaceful and with more established trees and green than many other places. Plus, very unlikely to be bulldozed for even more housing. Ghosts haunting graves? I'd love to see one!

My cousins bought a house next to a cemetery about a year ago. They have a nice spread...several acres, 2 or 3 outbuildings, close to a lake.

A few months ago, someone told my cousin's wife that they would have difficulty selling the house because of the cemetery. And she was complaining that they might have difficulty selling it down the road.

I was genuinely confused. I asked her "Are you all planning on selling? "No". "But you bought this place knowing there was a cemetery next door...right? "Yes". "Well...it didn't stop you, right?"

Me personally, a cemetery wouldn't bother me at all. Cemeteries are like peaceful parks to me.

Old 07-09-2020, 08:57 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,713,034 times
My house is across the park and i love morning view of the park & being able to go for quick walk. It is a small local public park. Doesn't get too crowded. I prefer being near park

Old 07-09-2020, 09:04 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,057,141 times
DON"T DO IT !
We got caught in a reverse situation, we lived in our house for 30 years on a 1/2 acre, farm fields all around us in an unincorporated area and then 10 years ago the town annexed the land around us and built a 120 acre park right behind our houses. It has 10 soccer fields plus walking paths and lighted baseball fields and in the warm months from 7:00 am until dark all you hear is sports noise. The Winter is OK as the park is pretty much closed. I confronted the elected officials of the town and reminded them that not one of them live anywhere near the park. It has ruined our quiet, country life. We are planning on moving as soon as we find another quiet location.

Old 07-09-2020, 10:09 AM

4,210 posts, read 4,460,552 times
It really depends on the types of activity and hours that will be permitted at the park property. Baseball / Soccer play fields and basketball/tennis courts probably not, but green space with playground walking trails more likely. Part of the issue also is how much of a lot you have and can you create via landscaping some sort of personal residential privacy (green hedge / fence / privacy walls etc). So that if you are type who likes to be outside enjoying your own yard that you don't feel like everyone in the general public can peer right into your yard. There are some neighborhood residential parks near where I live and most of the residential houses immediately adjacent have varying degrees of vegetative buffer for this purpose.

Best location I lived at had major metropark behind it with fairly steep valley. No trails immediately accessible but always had the beautiful green ravine / valley landscape in view. I only saw houses when winter came and trees were bare.

Old 07-09-2020, 11:01 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,198,861 times
Nope wouldnt do it. When i am at home i like it quiet.

Old 07-09-2020, 12:58 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,256,579 times
Any concerns about homeless population? Also, if family picnics generating food garbage, think about rats. Overflow parking.
Depends on the neighborhood really.

Old 07-09-2020, 02:49 PM

162 posts, read 209,609 times
I would love to live within walking distance of a park/playground. It’s one of the things I miss most about my old house. I probably wouldn’t want it directly next door, but as long as I had privacy in my backyard, I’d be all for having a park like you describe in the neighborhood.

Old 07-09-2020, 02:54 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
It’s totally public.
Why is there a gate code for residents, though?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate