Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 07:51 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post

For example, the house is very "woody", which I speculate is not main-stream taste.
It's rural Georgia, not the Bay Area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2020, 07:58 AM

4,610 posts, read 3,304,325 times
In many areas of the US it is standard to have professional pictures taken, but I happen to own a small flat in a touristy place which has a lot of turnover and you get some really awful pictures taken with the realtor's phone, blurry and usually with half of the realtor in them. This is because of high demand, I guess. They know the place will eventually get sold no matter how terrible the presentation is.

In the UK places for sale inevitably have professionally taken pictures and the difference is amazing. Accurate room measurements taken with a laser measure, good lighting, room pictures in order of walkthrough, all are standard over there.

There is an art to taking these pictures, and I for one am not in love with the zoom camera that accentuates the size or length of a room, but realtors seem to love it because it makes everything seem larger than it actually is. I guess this is just normal development of the art of presentation.

Old 07-11-2020, 07:59 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,305,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I have used a professional photographer for years for all listings. Having said that, there is a lot of difference in results between pros. I have encountered a few who think their equipment makes them good. It doesn't. If you can't conceive the best angle and composition your expensive camera isn't going to capture it.
I agree. Camera equipment helps, but today even the entry level SLR or mirrorless can already do 99% of what's needed for this purpose.

It is knowing what to shoot and how to shoot that makes the biggest difference.

If I am to hire a serious amateur in the community for this assignment, which I think will suffice for this purpose, I bet there will be plenty of takers at $50.

Old 07-11-2020, 08:00 AM

1,108 posts, read 1,384,385 times
One thing I don't quite understand is not done more often, is a video that walks through the house in the best flow. Start at the front door, walk the viewer throughout the house, to get a better feel of how the layout is set up.

I can look at a ton of nice photos, but have no idea how each room relate to the next. It would be much nicer to have a video that actually walks you through the house from entrance to office to the bedrooms to the kitchen.

Layout is so important to buyers, a video would help a ton.

Old 07-11-2020, 08:16 AM

1,066 posts, read 767,269 times
As a retired architectural photographer (did it for a few decades) who has done too many real estate shoots to count, insist on a pro. Some selling agents don't want to give up any cash if they don't think they have to. In a really hot market it might not matter but if you can show your house as a showpiece with good light, color, angle and detail it can make a difference on days on the market.

You want to attract people with (at least) the perception of quality, cleanliness and detail. Invite them to want to come in and see more, since the place looks bright and spiffy.

You say are an enthusiast. You can do it if you understand correct exposure techniques (go easy on too much HDR), lighting and perspective, and have the right equipment. Don't go overly wide in FL to avoid distortion. Shooting across the room into corners works well. If the floors are beautiful, get more floor than ceiling by a third. Light dark alcoves if the ambient and interior lighting don't show back spaces well. OH so much more I can tell you, you may PM me if you'd like. I can give you some advice. This used to be my gig, got to travel to some beautiful spaces and I really enjoyed it.

I always shot houses in logical sequence from seeing the outside as a buyer would when arriving, then entering the front or main entrance and moving about the house. Public areas first, then bedrooms and baths. Basement/attic next, followed by garage, back and side portions of the outside of the house. Special details like a notable view, pretty pond or big veggie garden, maybe a fire pit... include that as well.

Old 07-11-2020, 08:28 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidAZ View Post
One thing I don't quite understand is not done more often, is a video that walks through the house in the best flow. Start at the front door, walk the viewer throughout the house, to get a better feel of how the layout is set up.

I can look at a ton of nice photos, but have no idea how each room relate to the next. It would be much nicer to have a video that actually walks you through the house from entrance to office to the bedrooms to the kitchen.

Layout is so important to buyers, a video would help a ton.
I agree. That's one of my biggest pet peeves.

I don't want to see a couch against a wall with no other context for the room. At least show a doorway in the frame so I can tell how it's oriented.

There are already dozens of threads here about crappy photos, though.

Old 07-11-2020, 08:35 AM

1,066 posts, read 767,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I agree. That's one of my biggest pet peeves.

I don't want to see a couch against a wall with no other context for the room. At least show a doorway in the frame so I can tell how it's oriented.

There are already dozens of threads here about crappy photos, though.
Absolutely this ^^^

Video is a great asset. Especially the 360 systems where the viewer can pick places in the room and move about to see the continuity. Like the Google street man. But 4K (or even 1280) resolution doesn't load well on many mobile devices and many home computer systems even, so still photos still have their place for real detail.

Old 07-11-2020, 08:40 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,305,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowilldo View Post
As a retired architectural photographer (did it for a few decades) who has done too many real estate shoots to count, insist on a pro. Some selling agents don't want to give up any cash if they don't think they have to. In a really hot market it might not matter but if you can show your house as a showpiece with good light, color, angle and detail it can make a difference on days on the market.

You want to attract people with (at least) the perception of quality, cleanliness and detail. Invite them to want to come in and see more, since the place looks bright and spiffy.

You say are an enthusiast. You can do it if you understand correct exposure techniques (go easy on too much HDR), lighting and perspective, and have the right equipment. Don't go overly wide in FL to avoid distortion. Shooting across the room into corners works well. If the floors are beautiful, get more floor than ceiling by a third. Light dark alcoves if the ambient and interior lighting don't show back spaces well. OH so much more I can tell you, you may PM me if you'd like. I can give you some advice. This used to be my gig, got to travel to some beautiful spaces and I really enjoyed it.

I always shot houses in logical sequence from seeing the outside as a buyer would when arriving, then entering the front or main entrance and moving about the house. Public areas first, then bedrooms and baths. Basement/attic next, followed by garage, back and side portions of the outside of the house. Special details like a notable view, pretty pond or big veggie garden, maybe a fire pit... include that as well.
Yes you talk like a pro. I pursue quality also where possible.

But I understand what others are saying, that for lower value properties agents/companies may not be able to afford hundreds of dollars just for pictures. I just think that certain minimum quality standard is necessary if you want to get interest at all. And getting a serious amateur, or a college kid in photography major or architecture major, can at least accomplish that. If it were in my neighborhood I'd even do it for free because it is a fun project.

I have seen some listings with such terrible pictures, I wondered why even put up the listing... Look at this one. Alright it may not a gem as is every other property, but surely there is something to showcase to make the place more potential or inviting or desirable. I got to this listing because I am looking for "property with pond". Apparently this one fits the bill. But the available pictures do not entice me to take the next step. In fact, the pictures tell me not to bother:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...85898203_zpid/

Old 07-11-2020, 09:09 AM

15,579 posts, read 40,450,935 times
Yes real estate agents hire pros all the time and pay for the service. I'd say 75% of listings are pro photos in my area.

That said, rural properties, unless luxury ones, are often one of the times when agents go in and take their own. At least with that first Zillow link, they hired a drone operator to take photos. The challenge with drone photographers is that they are often hobbyists which isn't the same thing as a photographer who takes photos for marketing purposes. Those are different skills. I know I was thrilled when my photographer got his drone license because he has some of the best composition skills of the local pros.

It might be all that agent could get. Rural areas are limited on services. You can't expect an isolated rural area to be able to pull the same quality of services as a more expensive urban area. Especially at that price point.

Old 07-11-2020, 09:26 AM

43,309 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
As a photography enthusiast, I feel the property pictures in 99.9% of listings are c-r-a-p. Yes snapping pictures with a point-and-shoot camera is free, does the job of letting buyers roughly see the place, and the pictures will never replace a onsite visit anyway, but I really think better photos can make properties more appealing to buyers and will definitely generate more enquiries.

Case and point: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...11251526_zpid/

In this listing, I feel the pictures do not do the beautiful place justice. It's obvious these pictures were taken by an amateur. And there are so many pictures of practically the same shot! For what?! A more serious photographer amateur can easily take pictures that make the place look like the national park.

If I were to take pictures to show case this property, this is what I will do:

--document more fully the place, interior and exterior
--shots with better angles and perspectives
--some close-ups
--bringing more elements into one picture
--since the inside is so woody, include subjects that are not wood to mix things up
--include shots that showcase activities around the pond
--shots at dawn or dusk that gives the place a sense of serenity
--wild life that could be on the property
--vegetation
--maybe even some underwater fish shots
--organize the presentation better

Do you think pictures like these will help generate interest on the house? And are real estate agents/companies willing to pay for such service?

I am really surprised that in an era of over packaging, the real estate business is still not trying to make the best first impression.
Those photos are adequate to sell the property.
Quite adequate.
Viewing them conveys what the buyer will see upon visiting.
The multiple repetitive shots are the listing agent's doing, not the photographer's fault.
It appears that the entire photo file was uploaded to MLS rather than selected shots.

We sell property. We're not in the business of selling artwork. It doesn't take Time-Life quality to move most properties.

I pay $350 for photos, matterport, drone, floor plans, for houses under 5000 SF.
Under $200,000, I might shoot it myself, because that market segment is so hot, it hardly requires a complete photo workup by a pro to sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate