Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 02:45 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
It's only been "rare" since the 50's housing boom allowed so many stuffed cheek by jowl since the 20's to get out.
Or people who can really get along together
in the smaller places they can actually afford..
That means CAN'T leave. I don't see it as being a desired 'choice' anywhere. Do you?
(peculiarities of the Italian mama's boys notwithstanding)
It's a tough question to answer. You frame it in terms of "desired choice" when in fact it might be "best option" or something as inevitable as aging itself. There are cultural components to it as well; not just Italian Mama's boys...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2020, 02:59 PM

65 posts, read 44,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, the OP asked about "conventional wisdom" so I gave answers based on NORMAL housing markets, not insane unicorn places like Berkeley, where people pay insane prices to live in s&*$boxes because IT'S CALIFORNIA.
Would fetch 500k+ in Northern VA. Several hundred thousand in a few dozen other markets besides most of Coastal California/Seattle. 250 per square foot, for prime residential land, would be 10,000,000 per acre..Cheap by Hong Kong or Singapore standards, heard some larger numbers in Vancouver, too.

Old 08-24-2020, 03:26 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamFong View Post
Would fetch 500k+ in Northern VA. Several hundred thousand in a few dozen other markets besides most of Coastal California/Seattle. 250 per square foot, for prime residential land, would be 10,000,000 per acre..Cheap by Hong Kong or Singapore standards, heard some larger numbers in Vancouver, too.
OK, now come out of the clouds and let's talk about the entire rest of the USA.

Topeka, Kan.
Tulsa, Okla.
Indianapolis, Ind.
Manchester, N. H.
Richmond, Ind.
Houston, Tex.
Boise, Ida.
Fresno, Calif.
Spokane, Wash.

This is what I mean by normal markets, not Hong Kong or Singapore or NOVA (basically DC, lots of gummint money) or coastal CA or Seattle. Actual normal places where the majority of the US population actually live.

Old 08-24-2020, 05:36 PM

15,440 posts, read 7,497,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post

There are some newer developments being built not that far away where homes listed as "2 BD, 3 BA" (weird, I know) are going for north of $300k. I would question the numbers but several individual listings are written that way, 2/3. Curious if this is a retirement community.
The former mayor of Houston, Bob Lanier, and his wife, lived in a high end high rise building, and had a 6,000 sq ft place that had 1 bedroom and 6 bathrooms, your basic 1/6. They did a lot of entertaining, but never had overnight guests.

Old 08-24-2020, 06:59 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,437,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The former mayor of Houston, Bob Lanier, and his wife, lived in a high end high rise building, and had a 6,000 sq ft place that had 1 bedroom and 6 bathrooms, your basic 1/6. They did a lot of entertaining, but never had overnight guests.
You know, your basic 1/6

Old 08-25-2020, 07:41 AM

581 posts, read 1,303,756 times
Quote:
I once bought a 2 BD because it was freshly remodeled

In buying mine, the lack of outside interest was ominous. It felt like I was about to make a bad choice. But for a household that would at most be a childless couple, it just made sense. About 30% less than comparable 3 BD properties. It allows us to save more and indulge more in other areas of life. It's on about an acre of land so plenty of privacy.
When did you buy it?
Do you still live there?
In retrospect, are you happy with the decision?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamFong View Post
I would take a 2/2 over a 3/1 any day of the week.
What is the logic behind this?
Why are people placing such a massive premium on a 2nd full bathroom?

So, if you had kids, you would put them in a bunk bed before dealing with 1 bathroom.

I assume people don't want 1 bath since others will need to smell your stunk up poo scent.
Understandable.

But, posters have also said that 1.5 bath is just as bad a 1 bath. So, it's not about hiding your poo smell from others.

Is this due to timing of showers? 4 people need consecutive showers which can lead to morning scheduling conflicts.

Old 08-25-2020, 07:50 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldHaveLeft914 View Post

What is the logic behind this?
Why are people placing such a massive premium on a 2nd full bathroom?

So, if you had kids, you would put them in a bunk bed before dealing with 1 bathroom.

I assume people don't want 1 bath since others will need to smell your stunk up poo scent.
Understandable.

But, posters have also said that 1.5 bath is just as bad a 1 bath. So, it's not about hiding your poo smell from others.

Is this due to timing of showers? 4 people need consecutive showers which can lead to morning scheduling conflicts.
A second bathroom will be used every day. Even if you're a DINK, it's nice not to have to share the bathroom with overnight guests, it's nice if you and your spouse are both getting ready for work or a night out, if you have one kid, it's nice to to have to share the same bathroom with them all the time, etc.

A second bathroom often assumes an en-suite master bathroom; which is nice in and of itself. When we have company, there's no need to scrub our bathroom and hide my wife's 40 bottles of hair products, or my medication, etc.

Old 08-25-2020, 08:25 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
What's a DINK? I assume the last two letters are no kids?

Old 08-25-2020, 09:00 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
homes listed as "2 BD, 3 BA" (weird, I know) ........

Not really weird. Those are very likely to be two en suite bedrooms plus a guest bathroom so your dinner guests don't walk through your bedroom to use your toilet, while helping themselves to a quick inspection of your medicine cabinet.

Old 08-25-2020, 10:15 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,793,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
What's a DINK? I assume the last two letters are no kids?
Double Income, No Kids.

Even as a single person the minimum number of baths I'd consider is 2.5 (one master, one guest, one powder room). Ideally the greater of a 1:1 bedroom/full bath ratio plus one half bath.

The 2BD/3BA homes I've seen are 3 story townhouses where both bedrooms are on the third floor, and there's a living space/den/study/something on the first floor. 2 full baths, each attached to their respective bedrooms, plus one half bath each for the other two floors. Your overnight guests have their own bath, you have your own, and your dinner guests use the half baths.

I personally don't have a problem with them as long as the total number of spaces and the square footage are the same vs. a 3 bedroom but 2-bedroom homes seem to sell at a discount to 3 bedroom houses of similar square footage and take longer to sell. I think it depends on the demographics of the market it's in though....in an area full of singles and DINKs they won't have as much trouble selling as an area where the primary demographic is families with their 2.2 children and 1.5 dogs.

Last edited by albert648; 08-25-2020 at 10:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate