Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 10:51 AM

2,203 posts, read 9,320,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingatwork View Post
if the cabinets are in very good condition and their style is up to date i would not paint them for the same reason drjones mentioned. if the the style is OUT of date then i would go ahead and paint them. my cabinets are orginal to my 1950s home so I painted them. Oh and I would buy a home with painted cabinets but that's because I love to paint and love to change up the look of my home all the time (different wall colors, cabinet colors, etc.) paint is the easiest thing to change.
I agree with surfingatwork, and whether or not the cabinets are dated. Also, in 8 or 9 years, it's anybody's guess at to what might be popular then. (Maybe oak cabinets will be back in style . . . or maybe painted cabinets will be all the rage.)

I will say that I have seen people take really dated cabinets (the ugly 70's/80's dark walnut kind) and paint them and add new hardware, and it's a great improvement to the kitchen. Lighter, brighter, etc. A lot of those older kitchens also have a drop-down ceiling with a fluorescent light grid. I've seen people remove those and open up the ceiling and that really modernizes a kitchen, too.

Somebody mentioned the price point of your house. Agreed, painted oak cabinets will not be a plus if your home is more expensive. Those buyers will expect new cabinetry and appliances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 10:52 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,989,001 times
[quote=frogandtoad;3633579]What price point are you talking about? Higher end market, that would be a very bad call. Lower end market, I don't see why it would hurt. Personally I cannot stand oak so anything which made it look like not oak would be a plus to me...but again only in a lower-end sale.[quote]
We live in a fairly upscale neighborhood.We got a "deal " on the house last year for $515,000 as it really needed updating.Homes in the neighborhood sell for $550,000-$625,000.Ours was the lowest in the past 4 years! I have gone to open houses in the neighborhood in the last few months and no one has painted cabinets,but all are nicer than ours.
My other thought was to try and stain them darker,so they don't look so oakie! Either way,I will have it done professionally so it is done correctly.The kitchen is large,bright, and walls are pale yellow.I chose the floor tile and granite so I could go either way.
Thanks for all your answers!

Old 05-01-2008, 11:51 AM

2,203 posts, read 9,320,635 times
You could also try refacing the cabinets. I know I had one client that did not like oak cabinets, so finally I asked her what she didn't like about them, and she said it was the "grain", plus she thought that oak cabinets were dated and/or "cheap" cabinets.

So . . . maybe doing a darker stain might just look like oak cabinets trying to pretend to be cherry.

One thing that might make your cabinets look richer and more updated is some new hardware. I'm always amazed at how much of an impact that can have.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:43 PM

414 posts, read 1,257,331 times
I also vote for resurface and stain a different color. :-) But they are your cabinets to do what you want to!

Old 05-01-2008, 02:03 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,989,001 times
ok,is the resurfacing called a "glaze" ? That's what I was thinking of.The cabinets are a fairly neutral design,so they don't look bad,I also just think that oak looks cheap.You may be right about the darker stain.It may still look like oak trying to be cherry!
We already did replace the hardware.That was a huge inprovement.I guess just the fact that I hate oak and I'm really liking the look of lighter cabinets.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:19 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,421,118 times
You can't make oak look like alder or maple. Those are the "it" cabinets out here, just like oak was in the 80's.

The only time I think painting cabinets works is in Historic homes with original cabinets, and in 1970's home with those ugly dark brown walnut type cabinets. Anything is better than those.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:57 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,656,709 times
Many of the older colonial homes in my area of Virginia have white painted cabinets. It's fine and better than oak.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:12 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,537,180 times
You're not going to please everyone (and you don't have to, just 1 person). Just like some people prefer carpet and some people prefer hardwood. Make it look nice and you'll find someone who likes it. That has been my experience on my last 2 houses.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:41 AM

1,099 posts, read 3,735,683 times
I painted mine and love them. I say if that is what YOU like, go for it. It was pretty easy and everyone who comes into my homes says they like them. I understand they might just be saying it, but I love them so who cares.

I have had buyers say they ONLY want to look at homes with white cabinets. You just never know.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:06 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,503,683 times
I think if you paint them, you could do something fun with them...like paint them a less expected color than white. something which i suppose stays in the neutral zone if you're thinking in terms of reselling, but maybe something "fun". A lot of the kitchen mags have very fun looking, bright kitchens, with quite a bit of color--not just wood cabinets and granite.

I would replace the cabinets if I bought a home with either oak or painted cabinets, but I could probably bear to live with a fun whimsical painted cabinet look for a little while. I think I'd have to have the oak out of there before I even moved in. I might not be able to even bring myself to buy oak...I'd have a hard time getting past that.

A place to look for really beautiful slightly different yet still neutral colors is Restoration Hardware. They have some very pretty shades which have some personality but are not garish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate