Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 09:39 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,337,807 times

Advertisements

Cute bungalow on 2 acres outside the city.
The owner owns the house out right.
The problem is that the house sets on familial land that owner shares with siblings (equal undivided). There has been fandangling so that the house and small fenced in area, that would equal a more or less normal lot size (5K sf) in a city, is expressly owned by owner.
There is an easement running along one side of the property so access would be guaranteed to house.
I've suggested to the owner to get with her siblings and partition the land. She knows that will bring a hail storm as the siblings are already up in arms as they feel the owner doesn't have the right to sell her house.
For ties that bind, the owner is reluctant to sell her stake in the greater surrounding land.

There's a buyer for every scenario but I can see this as a deterrant for a good majority of them.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2020, 10:34 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
There is no way in hell I would buy such a house.

I seen drama over less than that, I could not imagine getting involved in such a thing, even if legally everything is good to go.

Old 09-22-2020, 10:40 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,908,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post

There's a buyer for every scenario but I can see this as a deterrent for a good majority of them.
There's a word for the minority that would buy the house under those circumstances.

STUPID

Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post

There has been fandangling so that the house and small fenced in area, that would equal a more or less normal lot size (5K sf) in a city, is expressly owned by owner.
No it's not. Not without being officially subdivided and deeded to the occupant of the house.

Anybody who believes otherwise is

STUPID

Old 09-22-2020, 10:41 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
So a postage stamp lot has been carved out of a 2 acre parcel, with a long skinny access strip, in an area where the standard lots and parcels are probably 2 acres or larger? If the house is located the way people normallly build a house on 2 acres, it's more or less in the middle which also means that anyone could build anything in front of it.

If the owner wants to sell it she needs to buy from her siblings enough of the 2 acres to make it a decent size lot. Best approach would be to buy all of it from them and then sell the thing as a house on 2 acres, like all the other houses in the area.

Weird stuff is always a bear to sell.

If you are a real estate agent I wouldn't get involved in this. If you are a buyer I SURE wouldn't get involved. If you are just a friend I would advise her "either sell your house to your siblings, or buy them out, but don't do any more subdividing or wrangling."

Old 09-22-2020, 11:16 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,095,402 times
Where does the house get water and sewage from? If the lot is only 5000 sq ft or so it isn't big enough for well and septic (at least any place I have ever heard of)

As everyone else has mentioned this will turn out to be an ugly situation.

Old 09-22-2020, 12:01 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,914,949 times
Sort of similar situation below. Just right up front...don't do it.

Friend listed a house that the owner misrepresented. It was a property with an airfield. The airfield had just one plane that afternoon and that plane belonged to the owner, the owner said. There were other houses in view but no one was close to each other...land spreading out. Everyone had a big lot, fencing for a few animals/pets. Cool. In further cautionary investigation, friend soon learned there was a HOA which the owner thought was a great thing...those other homes, although quite a bit apart, belonged to owners who were all part of the HOA and, in being so, owned a share of that airfield the owner thought was so attractive. Strangely, no one else had a plane or flew in or out of that airfield. Seems like everyone had a share in something that benefited the owner. This was a couple of years ago. Friend did not need the listing and, while others listed it over time, it was never a sound situation for any prospective buyer.

Old 09-22-2020, 02:06 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,745,966 times
We see a lot of what is called Heirs Property in SC. Basically it is someone with a plot of land that over the years has allowed other family members to build on the property with no transfer of property thus no deeds. When it comes to selling it is legal boondoggle. Often taking years to settle.

Old 09-22-2020, 05:39 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
If the siblings own the land they also own any and all attachments to the land. That's likely why they don't feel that the sister has the right to sell the house. How do you know that she "expressly" owns the portion of the land which includes the house? Is that what she told you? Unless that has been specifically deeded to her it sure doesn't sound like she owns it.

Old 09-23-2020, 09:59 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Best approach?

Run away! Far away!

Old 09-23-2020, 11:54 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,337,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
If the siblings own the land they also own any and all attachments to the land. That's likely why they don't feel that the sister has the right to sell the house. How do you know that she "expressly" owns the portion of the land which includes the house? Is that what she told you? Unless that has been specifically deeded to her it sure doesn't sound like she owns it.
It is stipulated in the deed and there are separate tax accounts as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate