Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 09:28 AM

649 posts, read 3,444,731 times

Advertisements

Well, we were here, and the inspection is over. It was very cool that he brought his own hand-held and printer and printed out his report right here! So now the buyer and inspector are going over the report and checking out some things in the outbuilding (we knew, and previously disclosed, problems there with the roof and foundation).

We answered a couple of questions from the inspector. The biggest difficulty was keeping my husband from running his mouth - he gets very talkative when he's nervous, and he gets nervous whenever anyone unknown is in "his" space.

I'm dying to see that report, am I entitled to see it? I don't know if it's a faux pas to ask (after all, it's the buyer's inspection, she paid for the report). I guess I'll just wait to see if she has any concerns about the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 09:34 AM

OMG!! My buyer just came back - that fast - and said, "everything's fine"!!! I know, I will be happier when the contingency period is over, and she CAN'T ask for any concessions (5 business days, so that's next Friday), but she has clearly indicated that there was nothing on the report that troubled her! And she is taking measurements, so I guess she hasn't decided to back out yet.

PHEW!!!!

I hope it goes as well for you, Carolina Chick! GOOD LUCK!!

Old 05-09-2008, 09:44 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,775,766 times
My inspection is today, I won't be there as the seller. I've been to 2 inspections as the buyer, with no seller present. I just assumed that's how it works, just like not being around when there are showings. Just give them ready access to normally inaccessible areas. I remember we had to cut a padlock to the crawlspace for one of the inspections.

Last edited by Moonwalkr; 05-09-2008 at 10:26 AM..

Old 05-09-2008, 10:06 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,853,374 times
Great news Sweetbeet-you're on your way!

Old 05-09-2008, 10:15 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
If the seller is there, and/or gets a copy of the report, they now know everything the inspector found (however minor) and must disclose all of that in future if this particular deal should fall through.

Now, me, I'm all about disclose, disclose, disclose, and even recommend strongly that my sellers get a pre-listing inspection done so that they can show that they are fixing things that turn up that need fixing (always a confidence-builder) and so that there are no nasty surprises that turn up during a buyer's inspection. But others don't always feel the same way, so frequently neither the seller nor the seller's agent (who would also have to disclose) would be at the inspection.

Here, the inspector is either let in by the buyer's agent or they have their own version of the lockbox key and are given, by the seller's agent, a code to use to get in. There's a record of who accessed the property when, just like when your property is shown. They're licensed professionals, just like the real estate agents who preview or show your property.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:02 PM

414 posts, read 1,257,613 times
Well lookie at you, Sweetbeat!!! That is AWESOME!!! I know you are relieved and thrilled. Gosh I hope mine goes just as well! I'm still a ball of nerves. Will someone please take this bag of peanut M&M's away from me????????? haha........

Last edited by carolina chick; 05-09-2008 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-09-2008, 02:05 PM

oooh, I'd take 'em if I could... some chocolate would go very well right now!

Old 05-09-2008, 03:01 PM

*passing them over* Good! Take 'em! Otherwise I'll make myself sick.

Old 05-10-2008, 03:05 PM

So I'm still drumming my fingers waiting for some word on the inspection. The only thing I know concretely is the house isn't going to blow up from any electrical/plumbing problems. I'm not a good wait'er. I hope I get some feedback soon. Those that are in the same boat, how's things?

Old 05-11-2008, 06:28 AM

What does your contract say - when do the buyers have to let you know about anything that arises from the inspection? There is probably a deadline, after which they will be deemed to have "waived" the contingency (i.e., they are stuck with the contract terms).

If you haven't heard anything by then you are free and clear. In the mean time, they get to digest the report and decide whether they want to ask for any concessions or repairs, or walk away from the contract.

Talk to your agent, if you have one - s/he can talk to the buyers' agent and maybe get a feel for what they're thinking about the report.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate