Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2021, 07:00 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,460,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocytoma View Post
10% may seem to be a lot but on a MULTI MILLION DOLLAR home with a limited population of buyers who can even afford it... it is nothing in my opinion

your thoughts?
I think your lowball offer of less than 50% off list price was insulting. You may now personally be blackballed for doing that.

A house priced at $1.5 million dollars is not a multimillion dollar house.

I agree with rialiese's statement, which was "What it looks like to me is that you are clearly trying to nab a home that is above your affordability for less...."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2021, 09:33 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I think your lowball offer of less than 50% off list price was insulting. You may now personally be blackballed for doing that.

I agree with rialiese's statement, which was "What it looks like to me is that you are clearly trying to nab a home that is above your affordability for less...."
from what's been described, I do believe the OP when she says the "real numbers" are a multiple of $1MM (3-5MM IIRC). Not that the reality of reaction differs.

Old 03-28-2021, 09:35 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
I mean, if there's one thing that's true in real estate -

unless you're headed to jail, you don't NEED to sell a house you have $2MM+ in.

Old 03-29-2021, 07:59 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,708,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I live in NYS and our homes DO appreciate.
I am in Ohio and our homes appreciate here, too. Not sure what part of Ohio OP is in... not like people actually use the LOCATION field in the profile... but most of Ohio works... just like everywhere else. Homes have appreciated, and in many areas, significantly.

Old 03-29-2021, 08:45 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,629,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I am in Ohio and our homes appreciate here, too. Not sure what part of Ohio OP is in... not like people actually use the LOCATION field in the profile... but most of Ohio works... just like everywhere else. Homes have appreciated, and in many areas, significantly.
I figured homes increased in value in Ohio as well. I don’t know what the OP is reading. Or maybe they’re just making up facts and figures again.

Old 03-29-2021, 10:47 AM

497 posts, read 370,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post

im sorry that you have reading comprehension problems. I said the numbers were fake but being used for % comparisons

Old 03-29-2021, 11:01 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,577,118 times
My guess is that you made the low ball offer the phone and mentioned that he had the home on the market for a year. Then he blew you off. You have to remember people are used to seeing postcards and letters with those same kinds of pleas. You even get sob stories about how she's a single mother who can't find a home. Now you're here to complain because he won't answer the phone.

Since frustrated buyers often neg the properties on here, whether the rest of the story is factual is up in the air.

Old 03-29-2021, 12:07 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,487,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocytoma View Post
im sorry that you have reading comprehension problems. I said the numbers were fake but being used for % comparisons
What was posted still applies whether the numbers are fake or not...

By all means stalk that house and think you'll get lucky. You fail to realize that a seller doesn't have to abide by your whims and he can be "delusional" all he wants. It's his house. You thought that you could seize upon a "desperate seller" situation, only to discover that he's not that desperate yet and he may never be. He played the game in good faith but I don't think you did because you knew you really couldn't afford the house. If you can get up to the hypothetical 900k then you can go up even more but since you really can't afford the home either way, you're just a time waster/tire kicker/bargain hunter. Thank goodness I've never had to deal with those types of people when I sold homes...

btw, million dollar homes often sit for a year or more. a seller is 'motivated' but that doesn't mean he intends to give it away to someone who makes an offer that far below asking. that applies to fixers.

Old 03-29-2021, 12:43 PM

5,746 posts, read 4,704,331 times
What do the comps say the home is worth?

I'm dealing with a similar situation currently.

A home we are interested in sold 6 months ago for $2M. The owner did some cosmetic upgrades, and just listed the home for $4M. Comps put the home at $2.2M

Crazy thing is they just might get it due to this insane market.

Old 03-29-2021, 01:31 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,357,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
What do the comps say the home is worth?

I'm dealing with a similar situation currently.

A home we are interested in sold 6 months ago for $2M. The owner did some cosmetic upgrades, and just listed the home for $4M. Comps put the home at $2.2M

Crazy thing is they just might get it due to this insane market.
The thing is that “comps” often don’t do a good job folding in the true value of upgrades. I spent a good amount of my professional career refining comparatios and then used my skills to apply them to developing this art to real estate comps. I was very apt at deriving pretty darn accurate market “comps” and when I looked at what appraisers did it was sometimes (not always, some are very sound) laughable how far off some appraisals fall short of reflecting value between two “comparable” properties. Anytime I am involved in a real estate transaction, I prepare my own comps and (if I am selling) I submit it to the buyer’s appraiser with good success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate