Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 07:01 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalys View Post
I also found the OP's listing and my first impression is this is a 6 bdrm 2400 sq ft house and to me, all the rooms are on the small side and decluttering would help give the impression of larger rooms. I would personally need to knock down some walls and agree with other posters that some updating needs to be done. Also as others have pointed out....with 4 acres, maybe needs to be marketed as farm property....really don't see why someone would want that much land without having a use for it.

I found this listing and IMO for the price point would choose this house hands down over the OP's. It is larger and is almost new so doesn't need any updating. The lot is small compared to the OP's but it would be adequate.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...47382095_zpid/
I don't think that really a comparable house, though. People who are interested in the OP's house are going to be looking for acreage and possible having horses etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2021, 07:12 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
Ask a realtor or two to come over and give you a valuation on your property without telling them that your hubby's an appraiser. I think fresh eyes with a knowledge of what is selling in the area and what it's selling for may surprise you.

Definitely consider hiring a realtor, or at least offer a buyer's agent commission. The money you spend on the commission may get your house sold quickly. Standing on your theory that you don't need a realtor may find you in a situation where you can't close on the new house and without a contingency, you're scr@wed.

Old 03-26-2021, 09:05 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,940,666 times
All I had to do was look at this fairly recent comp and see that you are way overpriced.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...72368082_zpid/

I am going to be brutally honest and just say my opinion if I was a Buyer in your area....your home is outdated, doesn't appear to be very well maintained (the curb appeal alone would make me just want to drive past) and the floor plan, (especially with such small rooms) is not something most people desire nowadays.

Old 03-26-2021, 09:39 AM

3,375 posts, read 1,970,783 times
^^^Wow! That house is a stunning and proves your point. I think the OP needs to enlist the help of professionals who aren't emotionally attached to their house. Hopefully this thread is helpful to them.

Old 03-26-2021, 09:54 AM

347 posts, read 427,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
All I had to do was look at this fairly recent comp and see that you are way overpriced.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...72368082_zpid/

I am going to be brutally honest and just say my opinion if I was a Buyer in your area....your home is outdated, doesn't appear to be very well maintained (the curb appeal alone would make me just want to drive past) and the floor plan, (especially with such small rooms) is not something most people desire nowadays.

There is no arguments from me that the listing you have posted is gorgeous. However, it’s also an acre smaller, and doesn’t have outbuildings and/or fencing. I think this is why the OP really needs the help of a realtor. Because the listing price for her home may be appropriate or close to appropriate and with better photos, marketing, and exposure it would sell. I don’t know if the house you have listed is a true comp. I think only an experienced realtor in that area would know.

I mean I’m not usually so adamant about using a realtor, I think you can sell your house FSBO. I’ve had friends do it successfully. But, in this case I think a good realtor is absolutely critical.

Old 03-26-2021, 01:27 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,163,725 times
We just had our house appraised and the appraiser didn't use two recent sales from our neighborhood. They were standard MLS, recorded, easy to find transactions. He completely missed them and used year old sales from a less desirable nearby neighborhood. The market has changed dramatically in the last year. Needless to say, we have contested our appraisal. This is two weeks ago and we're still waiting. Oh, and he was a no show for our original appointment. All that to say, if someone told me they were an appraiser I wouldn't automatically assume they know their stuff. No insult to the OP. It's just an observation from my experience.

I am very familiar with Idaho, and things are nuts there at the moment. Homes in any haphazard condition are selling at crazy prices (maybe your market is like this too right now!) just for people to get their feet within the state. I am sure the seller assumed their listing would be the same. This is part of their confusion. Why didn't theirs go in hours like everyone else's property?

In a normal market there is a lot wrong with this listing and it has been well covered here. For this market, I think it's exposure. Buyers aren't seeing their listing. The specific nature of the property would slow down the sale a bit, but not much if it was easy to find. Not that I think the advice here should go unheeded. We were going to sell recently. Our realtor said it would take a matter of hours to have an accepted offer. We still had professional pictures done. Always good to put your best food forward...

Last edited by Cdarocks; 03-26-2021 at 02:33 PM..

Old 03-26-2021, 01:28 PM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
I can't figure out how you all are seeing the OP's listing. I couldn't find it on zillow, and they didn't say where in Idaho it is. I'd love to see it if anyone cares to DM the link to me.

Old 03-26-2021, 02:13 PM

6,811 posts, read 9,357,536 times
I haven’t seen the listing, but three things come to mind:

1. FSBO generally turns me off, even though I know it’s a way to save money. Makes me think the transaction would be more difficult as a buyer, or that maybe the sellers are hiding some type of detail. Maybe irrational, but the thought would cross my mind.

2. The detail about one of the sellers being an appraiser would turn me off for similar reasons. Makes me think it would be difficult to negotiate a price. I don’t want the process to be any more of an emotional roller coaster than it is.

3. I don’t think anyone has asked this yet - but I will - does the house smell bad? Examples: cat pee, curry, or pot/cigarette smoke would turn me off. Even though this is fixable, it can be tough and would deter me.

Old 03-26-2021, 02:26 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,524,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I can't figure out how you all are seeing the OP's listing. I couldn't find it on zillow, and they didn't say where in Idaho it is. I'd love to see it if anyone cares to DM the link to me.
Look at link in post 3 up from you by nraleighmom, and notice zipcode. Put that zipcode in zillow seach, and click on other listings (it defaults to agent listings) op house was 1st one at 695k

Old 03-26-2021, 09:47 PM

6,559 posts, read 7,139,634 times
It went from $380k to $725k in 4 years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate