Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2021, 09:19 AM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times

Advertisements

I have an opportunity to get a good deal on a lot in a small town which has a older double wide on it. The trailer has not been lived in for some time. I have seen photos but going to look at it in person Sunday. Property is in Arizona.

The double wide is affixed to the property but the owner does not have a title to it nor is it on the property deed. Its been on the property for many years before the current owner bought the property. The owner is a friend of a friend and its not listed for sale.

The parcel is a good deal without the trailer. But better with it. It appears it could be fixed up and used as a rental. But I will know more when I go out there Sunday. I am going to look for the VIN number when I go out there Sunday and research who last owned it. Its in a somewhat remote area. And I was told previously when I was checking properties out there that its quite expensive to move a trailer even even a few miles away. Assuming this could even be moved in its condition.

My only concern is if I fix up the trailer could the trailer owner try to claim it? Would they have any right to go on the property? Or should I assume that the trailer is so old that the cost of someone wanting to move it off the property and take it away would be more than its worth and highly unlikely for this to happen.

Also is there any mechanism of filing for a abandoned vehicle and get it titled myself? If I do find the owner can I demand they move it or give it up since it would be sitting on my property. Any advice would be appreciated. I would pay them a couple hundred bucks just to sign it over to me. Or a little more if necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2021, 10:05 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,905,591 times
Quote:
I am going to look for the VIN number
It's VIN - Vehicle Identification Number. Saying or writing "number" a second time is redundant.

Quote:
My only concern is if I fix up the trailer could the trailer owner try to claim it?
Of course. It's still owned by whoever has title to it.

Quote:
Would they have any right to go on the property?
Sure. As long as there is no criminal intent they have the right to access their mobile home.

Quote:
Or should I assume that the trailer is so old that the cost of someone wanting to move it off the property and take it away would be more than its worth and highly unlikely for this to happen.
Sure, you can "assume" that, at your peril. Just remember Murphy's Law. Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong.

Quote:
Also is there any mechanism of filing for a abandoned vehicle and get it titled myself?
I think so. Check with the DMV for the process. Do that before you buy the property.
Quote:

If I do find the owner can I demand they move it or give it up since it would be sitting on my property.
You can "demand" anything you want to "demand." If they don't comply you'll probably have to spend lots of money on some sort of legal process.
Quote:

I would pay them a couple hundred bucks just to sign it over to me. Or a little more if necessary.
I suspect that they already know it would take many thousands to dispose of it so count on spending big bucks to resolve the situation. Or put the onus on the seller to remove it or obtain title as a purchase contingency.

Check out the following search results on how to find the VIN on a mobile home.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=where+is+t...=v252-1&ia=web

Old 05-07-2021, 10:07 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Certainly for cars there is a process for titling a car without a title.

I would think it's similar for mobiles. Call your local DMV.

Old 05-07-2021, 10:15 AM

14,485 posts, read 12,114,400 times
We've seen and done transactions with many older and newer mobiles on it, sometimes missing the data on them... and I've never heard of anyone worrying about someone coming to claim the house. Most often when manufactured homes are placed on property, the title is eliminated. Look for that language in the county records.

That said, even when the title has been eliminated, the HUD data plates are asked for as part of the process of financing. If this is something you're going to worry about, or a bank is wanting the data plates and serial numbers in order to secure financing, there are a couple places to look.

On the county side, see if there is anything in the county paperwork that indicates dates or permits on anything. There may be more information than you think, including original permitting that may have serial numbers, or even septic or power hookup permitting that may have dates and numbers.

On the house, look on each end of the house for data plates on the outside. If it hasn't been removed or re-sided you should be able to find data plates for each side... and they should be sequential for a double wide. If they are there, then great. Also look on the inside or kitchen cabinets, if original, or near the electrical panel, for a data sheet. If it's there, then great. If they are not, you can order new data Certificates from IBTS linked below, if you can sleuth the information needed for them. Read here:

https://www.ibts.org/what-we-do/veri...r-certificate/

also

https://www.nadaguides.com/Manufactu...mes/HUD-Labels

Here are examples of what these certificates and data plates will look like, if you can find them:

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffnt&q=man...ages&ia=images

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 05-07-2021 at 10:23 AM..

Old 05-07-2021, 10:23 AM

Note - you don't say how old but it does tend to make a big difference if the mfh is pre or post 1976.

Old 05-07-2021, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post

That said, even when the title has been eliminated, the HUD data plates are asked for as part of the process of financing. If this is something you're going to worry about, or a bank is wanting the data plates and serial numbers in order to secure financing, there are a couple places to look.
Its a cash transaction. No financing. I have no intent on every selling the property but that is a consideration if I ever do sell and a bank is involved.

Quote:
On the county side, see if there is anything in the county paperwork that indicates dates or permits on anything. There may be more information than you think, including original permitting that may have serial numbers, or even septic or power hookup permitting that may have dates and numbers.
I am thinking there was a regular house there at one point. And that is how it would have power. It has sewers in that area. The county seat is far from there and there are lots of unpermitted work is done. However the power company inspects before power is turned on. Thats for the info in finding the VIN. See what happens Sunday.

Old 05-07-2021, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
It's VIN - Vehicle Identification Number. Saying or writing "number" a second time is redundant.
Perhaps you should contact all the VIN check websites many of whom say VIN number:

Research a Vehicle By VIN Number

https://www.bumper.com/?&utm_source=...kaAsp3EALw_wcB

What a VIN Number Can Tell You

https://www.idrivesafely.com/defensi...r-can-tell-you

I could go and on but you get the point.

Old 05-07-2021, 12:06 PM

What is it that makes you think it’s not deeded to the property?

What flagged this as a concern for you?

Old 05-07-2021, 12:10 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Certainly for cars there is a process for titling a car without a title.

I would think it's similar for mobiles. Call your local DMV.
It is, we just did this for a house I sold that did not have a title. It was a pain because it delayed the sale, but apparently not too difficult.

Old 05-07-2021, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Note - you don't say how old but it does tend to make a big difference if the mfh is pre or post 1976.

Not sure on how old it is. Might be close to that date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate