Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2021, 06:25 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,927,812 times

Advertisements

We viewed a very nice home that was at a higher elevation than a house that's across from the backyard. The house we're interested in also has a terraced backyard. The wall in the terrace has pipes from it for what I assume is water of course, which will flow to the lower terrace. There aren't any water issues with the house. I was just curious if during a large rainfall that water would flow into the lower terrace and then into the neighbor's yard behind the house. Could you be liable for water flow into their yard that might cause damage? Or is that just tough luck on their part for simply living at a lower elevation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2021, 06:31 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Probably state specific, I'd certainly do my homework on the issue before making an offer.
https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...age-29724.html

Old 06-13-2021, 11:16 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Maybe. It would depend upon whether the water was just flowing downhill, or if you deliberately changed the grade and directed the water into their yard when it would not have done so otherwise.

You haven't purchased yet. Go next door, knock on the door, and ask them what happens to the water flow with a heavy rain. Possibly, they already have a drain system to deal with it.

If they are ticked off because the homeowner above them deliberately channeled water onto their property and caused floods, then either pass on the house or get an engineer out there to see if the problem can be fixed.

Old 06-13-2021, 11:21 AM

3,607 posts, read 7,915,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Probably state specific, I'd certainly do my homework on the issue before making an offer.
https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...age-29724.html
There ARE laws concerning homeowner responsibility and they definitely depend on location.

https://www.findlaw.com/realestate/n...-disputes.html

So the answer is...OP might be liable, or not, depending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate