Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 08:22 AM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times

Advertisements

And how much you wanna bet that the not-very-nice condo / AirBnB owner told her mortgage company that it's her primary residence (instead of the investment property it actually is.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2021, 03:02 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I'm curious to know how many HOAs are still not meeting. Mine has been meeting via Zoom throughout the pandemic. I'd be livid if the association hadn't met for well over two years, to include before Covid if the March 2019 date wasn't a typo.
Same here. We have been meeting via zoom for 15 months.

State laws and our pbylaws require annual disclosure of proposed and actual budget and financial statement. Furthermore, any owner may see any contract and invoice. Also any own has the right and opportunity to observe any board meeting. Time is set aside before the meeting for owner comments/ questions.

Old 06-19-2021, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralvr View Post
Does the Master Deed override the bylaws?

Daughter has a condo. A new homeowner purchased a unit and is using it as an AB&B. The by laws state you cannot. The master deed doesn’t state anything at all about it. Homeowner states that master deed overrides the bylaws and he is within his rights.

Management company doesn’t give a straight answer and HOA board is none responsive (a completely different issue that’s disturbing in its own right)

Thank you.

BTW, what is the next step to force HOA to meet? There hasn’t been a meeting since March 2019 and no disclosure of financials.
What state is this condo in?

How many units?

Old 06-19-2021, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
And how much you wanna bet that the not-very-nice condo / AirBnB owner told her mortgage company that it's her primary residence (instead of the investment property it actually is.)
And the insurer of the contents.

Old 06-22-2021, 06:16 AM

809 posts, read 1,180,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
What state is this condo in?

How many units?
SC and I’d say 125 units

Supposedly they’re going to have a meeting next month.

They’re trying to get an answer regarding by laws and master deed. In the meantime this air b&b is being rented all through the summer

Old 06-22-2021, 06:49 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,213,314 times
What does the municipality say about short-term rentals? If they're prohibited, might be able to shut them down by reporting an ordinance violation to the City.

Old 06-22-2021, 07:08 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,981,249 times
Previously I lived in a HOA neighborhood of single family houses. I know there is a difference between that kind of HOA and a condo HOA, but the fundamentals are the same. And I know that laws vary between states, but again I believe the fundamentals are the same.

Declarations of Covenants and Restrictions (CCRs), (perhaps termed in condo situations as a Master Deed), and Bylaws work together. The Declaration/Master Deed is the controlling document if, and only if, there are conflicting rules/statements/restrictions between it and Bylaws. For example, if a Declaration/Master Deed specifically states AB&Bs are allowed and the Bylaws say they aren't, it would be the Declaration/Master Deed as the controlling document. But if a Declaration/Master Deed does not address something and the Bylaws do, the Bylaws are the controlling document of clarification.

I am not a lawyer either, just someone experienced with HOAs as a resident and as a board advisor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate