Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 03:23 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,991,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
In Real Estate sales lingo the "Selling Agent" is the agent that brought the buyer's offer. aka the Buyer's Agent. The "Seller's Agent" was hired by the owners to facilitate the sale of the property, aka the "Listing Agent."

It's okay. You don't know what you don't know.

In Colorado, we are all licensed as Brokers. 168 hours of pre-license school. So would we automatically get more hourly pay? What about me? I have been doing this for nearly 32 years. Do I get more as an Employing Broker?
I would think a man with a degree, such as BoleoConstrictor, would have known such things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2021, 01:19 PM

6,015 posts, read 3,739,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Chas - depending on when you sold last year, Zillow changed their display options once they decided to become a real estate brokerage. "MLS Listings" are the prominent tab, and "Other Listings" is the FSBO's.

A well-experienced Seller, who knows how to price, prepare, and present their property will always have success. Sounds like you fit that category.
Bo,

You're right. I looked up a zip code on Zillow today and they did make what I think is a minor change on their listings. Instead of combining all the listings together, they have the "Agent Listings" on one tab and "Other Listings" on the tab right beside it. It's very easy to see both tabs so I don't think that the change will make any difference in people who are willing to consider FSBO listings.

In fact, it might make it easier for people who are particularly looking for FSBO listing to find them without having to wade through the Agent Listings which outnumber the FSBO's by about a 10 to 1 ratio in the zip code I checked.

Old 07-08-2021, 01:20 PM

43,308 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Bo,

You're right. I looked up a zip code on Zillow today and they did make what I think is a minor change on their listings. Instead of combining all the listings together, they have the "Agent Listings" on one tab and "Other Listings" on the tab right beside it. It's very easy to see both tabs so I don't think that the change will make any difference in people who are willing to consider FSBO listings.

In fact, it might make it easier for people who are particularly looking for FSBO listing to find them without having to wade through the Agent Listings which outnumber the FSBO's by about a 10 to 1 ratio in the zip code I checked.
Locally here, the "Preforclosure" listings far outnumber FSBO listings.
It is almost a waste of time to comb through them.

Old 07-08-2021, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Locally here, the "Preforclosure" listings far outnumber FSBO listings.
It is almost a waste of time to comb through them.
Preforeclosure???? Is that what you are calling the "Agent Listings"?

EDIT: Nevermind. I just figured it out. The Preforeclosure are listed in with the "Other Listings". OK, but considering the relatively low number in the zip code I checked, I don't think it would be a major problem to look through them. Things might be different in your zip code.

Old 07-08-2021, 03:36 PM

1,047 posts, read 726,949 times
Default nearly invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Bo,

I disagree. Listings are in bright color and other listing is easy for people to miss as it is in a nearly invisible light grey. Zillow knows exactly what it is doing and who they are loyal to.

Old 07-08-2021, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_me View Post
I disagree. Listings are in bright color and other listing is easy for people to miss as it is in a nearly invisible light grey. Zillow knows exactly what it is doing and who they are loyal to.
Zillow became a licensed brokerage and member of NAR.
Their MLS listings are directly from the MLSs via IDX feeds, and Zillow is now subject to rules and ethics they never felt the need to observe before.

One of the rules of most MLSs is that one cannot add other venues' listings or junk like "preforeclosure" to the MLS data feed.
So... To comply, they MUST offer a separate feed.
The gray color IS subdued, but it is obvious after one catches on the first time.
Z's pocketbook is much more tightly tied to the MLS listing feed.

Old 07-09-2021, 01:20 AM

1,047 posts, read 726,949 times
Default true

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Zillow became a licensed brokerage and member of NAR.
Their MLS listings are directly from the MLSs via IDX feeds, and Zillow is now subject to rules and ethics they never felt the need to observe before.

One of the rules of most MLSs is that one cannot add other venues' listings or junk like "preforeclosure" to the MLS data feed.
So... To comply, they MUST offer a separate feed.
The gray color IS subdued, but it is obvious after one catches on the first time.
Z's pocketbook is much more tightly tied to the MLS listing feed.
I understand that.

Old 07-09-2021, 01:01 PM

65 posts, read 40,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoleaConstrictor View Post
FSBOs Blackballed by Agents?
Absolutely 100% positively YES
A training manual from one of the nation’s largest brokers lays it all out. It advises agents representing sellers to tell their clients to offer 2.5% to 3% to buyer agents. After all, “if an agent has 10 different houses, nine of which come with a 3% commission, one of which comes with a 2.5% commission, which one do you think they’re going to show?” YouTube contains dozens more videos of similar training from other brokers and real-estate coaches. It’s the way the industry operates and the principal reason real-estate commissions remain at pre-internet levels while transaction costs have hit the floor across the rest of the service economy.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/real...e-cartel.html#

Old 07-09-2021, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoleaConstrictor View Post
A training manual from one of the nation’s largest brokers lays it all out. It advises agents representing sellers to tell their clients to offer 2.5% to 3% to buyer agents. After all, “if an agent has 10 different houses, nine of which come with a 3% commission, one of which comes with a 2.5% commission, which one do you think they’re going to show?” YouTube contains dozens more videos of similar training from other brokers and real-estate coaches. It’s the way the industry operates and the principal reason real-estate commissions remain at pre-internet levels while transaction costs have hit the floor across the rest of the service economy.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/real...e-cartel.html#
"The industry..."
LOL
"The industry " does nothing.
Licensed agents perform actions.

Old 07-09-2021, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_me View Post
LOL. Loyalty has nothing to do with it. The NAR, and by extension, the local MLS's considered Zillow too great a threat if left to operate unchecked, so they bought them off in order to have some input into how Zillow operates.

I hope that NAR didn't have to pay too much money to buy this influence because I can't see that minor change confusing any buyer who knows how to log onto a website. Of course, future changes could be in store for Zillow to make it more like Realtor.com, but if that happens, that just leaves the door open to some other company to come in and compete with them.

Savvy buyers will soon learn how to get the information that they want about what's on the market, and these little "tricks" to steer the buying public to certain listings will again prove futile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate