Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 02:03 PM

43,309 posts, read 77,142,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
LOL. Loyalty has nothing to do with it. The NAR, and by extension, the local MLS's considered Zillow too great a threat if left to operate unchecked, so they bought them off in order to have some input into how Zillow operates.

I hope that NAR didn't have to pay too much money to buy this influence because I can't see that minor change confusing any buyer who knows how to log onto a website. Of course, future changes could be in store for Zillow to make it more like Realtor.com, but if that happens, that just leaves the door open to some other company to come in and compete with them.

Savvy buyers will soon learn how to get the information that they want about what's on the market, and these little "tricks" to steer the buying public to certain listings will again prove futile.
There is absolutely no basis in reality in this post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2021, 10:07 PM

1,047 posts, read 726,949 times
Why did a realtor tell me to only use realtor dot com and not zillow? He said zillow has old intel. Do you think that is why he said this? I have been using realtor and find more homes. So, I feel. Not counted.

Old 07-09-2021, 10:24 PM

14,494 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Now that Zillow is acting as a brokerage and belongs to MLS services, Zillow is probably *better* than it used to be, at least for accuracy on listed properties. For years, they got their information from skimming other public facing sites, and because of that, did not always have everything or update old info correctly and clients would frequently email me properties that were no longer on the market.

Old 07-12-2021, 08:48 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,991,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_me View Post
Why did a realtor tell me to only use realtor dot com and not zillow? He said zillow has old intel. Do you think that is why he said this? I have been using realtor and find more homes. So, I feel. Not counted.
No idea. It's not always accurate, but there is nothing wrong with using it for data gathering. Agents enter a listing in MLS and then it syndicates out to the other sites. There is no secret source for listed for sale properties. If it's on MLS, then it will be on all the other sites like Zillow, Trulia, Realtor.com, etc.

For that reason, I think the best source is to have an agent set up an MLS search for you and then when you find something you like cross check on Z or R for additional info like taxes, etc.

Old 07-12-2021, 04:12 PM

7 posts, read 2,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysBeachin View Post
Due to the hot market, combined with the thought of paying at least $15k in realtor fees, I have my house FSBO. I have it on Zillow and about 10 Facebook Marketplace real estate groups. I had a couple agents show it, 1 low offer, but they backed out (long story--wasn't worried about major items on the home inspection but still backed out over the minor ones as their offer was contingent upon it), a 2nd low offer we flat out refused, and I've shown it twice myself. I have a survey, current home inspection, multiple photos, 3D tour on Zillow, etc. I've also done most of the work, even having a lockbox on the house for agents to show it, if they desire. I've fixed some of the items on the inspection, but it's an old house, and we are selling as-is. The location is very desirable. A comparable house sat on the market 2.5 months, but finally is under contract for a respectable amount.

It's been on the market 3 weeks. I dropped the price 2.9% after 2 weeks. I haven't yet purchased a flat-fee MLS. I'm wondering if I'm just going to have to throw in the towel and pay the ungodly commission. I've shopped around realtors, and I'm told my price is right on target by one broker who I might use. If I go with an agent, I'm going to have to accept an offer at or very near asking price to pass along those fees to the buyer.

We just purchased our current house FSBO. (Some relatives knew the people). It was a piece of cake. I know there's been multiple threads with this huge debate on how realtors don't earn their fee with huge backlash from agents on here. I get it. They're defending their livelihood. I personally don't think it's anywhere worth what I'll pay. It wasn't when I sold my last house---it was quite disgusting what I received in turn for what I paid. I just look at it like this: $15k invested in my kid's college account in an aggressive growth fund at 7% is over $50k in 18 years. The thought of spending that for fees is nauseating; especially when I prepare contracts as part of my job. I guess I went into the wrong line of work. Anyway, I suppose I could just sit on it longer. My ad states that I'm willing to work with a buyer's agent--commission negotiable. I'd rather just pay someone a flat fee of $1k-3k to handle it; that's about all it's worth workwise. The house will sell itself when the correct buyer comes along, and I've done all the other due diligence.

Anything else I can do to avoid an agent? We have already moved, so the house is empty, and showing it after work has worked out well for my schedule, as well as prospective buyers so far. Is the flat-fee MLS worth it for the $150-300 and does it drive in that much more traffic?
Low offers + 3 weeks = overpriced. MLS isn't going to help you or drive a lot more traffic.

All that's going to happen is you're going to get calls asking if you work with buyers' agents, and calls asking you if you've changed your mind about listing. In this market, if your house were priced correctly you'd already have an offer from a non-represented buyer or one of those who was working with an agent.

Old 07-12-2021, 04:23 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,084,030 times
You know, when I am ready to sell I will be selling as is - no warrantees expressed or implied. I will have an agent, although I will shop around for a fair-priced one if available.

I can sell that way because that is the way every house on my block has sold. The buyers know they are going to come in, gut the home, and rebuild it either to their specifications, or to flip it. I also know it could take anywhere from a year to a few days to get offers, because the properties command at high price a the onset.

Is that what people do in your neighborhood? If not, you might want to see how cost effective it would be to spruce the place up a bit and fix any violations. An agent can help you with that too, and steer you away from stupid updates - like painting a fireplace.

Old 07-12-2021, 04:29 PM

7 posts, read 2,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
You know, when I am ready to sell...
This depends on the market.

Old 07-12-2021, 04:31 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,084,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryRobertson View Post
This depends on the market.
Yeah, I said that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
...I can sell that way because that is the way every house on my block has sold. The buyers know they are going to come in, gut the home, and rebuild it either to their specifications, or to flip it.
Mines a HOT market. I get solicited all the time, by both brokers and neighbors, to sell.

Old 07-12-2021, 09:25 PM

1,047 posts, read 726,949 times
Default if u sign w him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
No idea. It's not always accurate, but there is nothing wrong with using it for data gathering. Agents enter a listing in MLS and then it syndicates out to the other sites. There is no secret source for listed for sale properties. If it's on MLS, then it will be on all the other sites like Zillow, Trulia, Realtor.com, etc.

For that reason, I think the best source is to have an agent set up an MLS search for you and then when you find something you like cross check on Z or R for additional info like taxes, etc.
Are you saying a realtor will give me the code to mls dot com?

Old 07-12-2021, 10:08 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_me View Post
Are you saying a realtor will give me the code to mls dot com?
We give people a link to a particular search all the time. Like all the 3/2s in a particular area less than $300,000.

Have a couple that have been running for a year or more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate