Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 02:12 PM

3 posts, read 4,609 times

Advertisements

Had an appraisal done in order to refinance my mortgage and the appraiser refused to count the bathroom in my basement. The bathroom is fully enclosed with walls and door, no obstruction to access and has a working toilet, sink and tub all connected to the plumbing. The bathroom was included in the initial appraisal when I purchased the home so Im not understanding why this appraiser refuses to include it. Can anyone help me understand this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2021, 03:40 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyeyz77 View Post
...and the appraiser refused to count the bathroom in my basement.
ANY work in the basement level is NOT a part of the "above grade living space"
Quote:
The bathroom was included in the initial appraisal when I purchased the home...
Can anyone help me understand this?
When people are selling they'll say all sorts of things. Caveat Emptor.

Old 06-29-2021, 04:58 AM

43,274 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyeyz77 View Post
Had an appraisal done in order to refinance my mortgage and the appraiser refused to count the bathroom in my basement. The bathroom is fully enclosed with walls and door, no obstruction to access and has a working toilet, sink and tub all connected to the plumbing. The bathroom was included in the initial appraisal when I purchased the home so Im not understanding why this appraiser refuses to include it. Can anyone help me understand this?

Does one have to pass through unfinished basement to enter this bathroom?

Old 06-29-2021, 07:14 AM

19,613 posts, read 12,212,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Does one have to pass through unfinished basement to enter this bathroom?
What's the difference, if it's a working bathroom. My appraiser counted the 3/4 bath in the basement laundry room.

Old 06-29-2021, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
What's the difference, if it's a working bathroom. My appraiser counted the 3/4 bath in the basement laundry room.
It's a question.

Old 06-29-2021, 08:31 AM

9,851 posts, read 7,718,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
ANY work in the basement level is NOT a part of the "above grade living space"
When people are selling they'll say all sorts of things. Caveat Emptor.
Does that apply if it's a walkout basement?

I honestly don't remember if our appraiser counted the full bath in the basement. I just know he couldn't find any comps and we just wanted to hit high enough to get the mortgage.

Old 06-29-2021, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post

I honestly don't remember if our appraiser counted the full bath in the basement. I just know he couldn't find any comps and we just wanted to hit high enough to get the mortgage.

You will bump into people who think any finished basement area should go to buyers for "free" because it doesn't exist.
Odd, but true.

Old 06-29-2021, 10:25 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Yes. Even in NC.
Any space which has soil against the walls. Even just partially.

Of the ~150LF of exterior wall on my walkout basement home...
only 15 feet of it is fully at the lower grade (used to be a garage entrance).
About half of the 150LF here is at least six feet below grade.
Quote:
...and we just wanted to hit high enough to get the mortgage.
Ding. Ding. Ding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHA
FHA loan rules for including the basement in the appraisal are found in HUD 4000.1, the FHA Single Family Loan handbook.
It says that the appraiser must not, in general, include the basement is what is known as the Gross Living Area:

“Gross Living Area (GLA) refers to the total area of finished, above-grade residential space calculated by
measuring the outside perimeter of the Structure. It includes only finished, habitable, above-grade living space.”

Last edited by MrRational; 06-29-2021 at 10:37 AM..

Old 06-29-2021, 11:29 AM

9,116 posts, read 6,165,173 times
In NYC, how much is above or below grade is critical. The 50% rule determines whether or not the space is included in

"Unbeknownst to many, the difference between a basement and a cellar, often misconstrued as an endearing colloquial difference, is, in fact, a nuanced legal matter.

At least half the story must be above ground to qualify as a “basement” in New York City. Otherwise, it’s considered a cellar and is not legally habitable — no matter how nice it looks. (Covering up the rubble walls and removing the shackles won’t cut it, sorry.)

To put it in legalese, a basement is “a building story that has at least one-half of its floor-to-ceiling height above curb level or the base plane,” in the words of NYC Planning. And this space is included in floor area calculations — aka the square footage of the building.

The cellar is legally defined as “a level of a building that has at least one-half of its floor-to-ceiling height below curb level or the base plane,” says NYC Planning. It is not included in floor area calculations."

https://www.brownstoner.com/real-est...-legal-living/

Very different from FHA definition:

"Fannie Mae considers a level to be below-grade if any portion of it is below-grade, regardless of the quality of its finish or the window area of any room. Therefore, a walk-out basement with finished rooms would not be included in the above-grade room count."

https://selling-guide.fanniemae.com/...sal-report.htm

Old 06-30-2021, 05:12 AM

5,971 posts, read 3,715,754 times
And this squabble over what is and what isn't "living space" is a great example of the absurdity and irrelevance of SOME appraisals. I have owned homes and been in other homes in which the finished "basement" (50% or more below ground) have been as nice and usable as any room above grade. This included bedrooms, bathrooms, recreation rooms, dens, utility rooms, etc.

Yet, some appraisals apparently think these rooms don't exist. I'll give Mike credit for that last line since he occasionally comes up with a valid point.

Last edited by Chas863; 06-30-2021 at 05:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate