Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 06:05 PM

10,311 posts, read 6,852,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
There is no "discount" for no back yard. It's square footage. Compare one home with similar SF to another. Surely this is not difficult to understand.
For this OP, everything is difficult to understand. Just look at their other thread subjects. Unbelievable.

Edit~ (I'm safe here, as I'm on the OP's ignore list!)

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 07-07-2021 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: added stuff, ya know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2021, 06:24 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
depends. in a 'lock and leave' type neighborhood that tends to cater to DINKS and retirees, no yard (maintenance) is actually a plus. Besides, I don't think there is such a thing as 'no yard'...it may be that a VERY tiny lot, which comprises of mostly deck, but I've never heard of 'no backyard' at all.
My in-laws have no backyard. Walk out the back door and you're on the neighbor's driveway (they live on a corner so the neighbor is catty-corner to them). THey have a good sized side yard, but again - they're on a corner. Not terribly uncommon in that town, and it was a no-go for DH when we were buying. We looked at one house that was a really good deal....almost too good to pass up and a park was 2 houses away, but we just couldn't pull the trigger on it.

The OP clearly sees everything as black and white. It's good or bad. Worth a discount or not. RE doesn't work that way....most things don't.

Old 07-07-2021, 10:02 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,460,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoleaConstrictor View Post
No back yard. Just a huge deck, for example. No lawn. Good or bad?
Bad, bad, bad. Very bad. Don't need lawn per se, but some greenery, nice landscaping to view and to clean the air and need separation from neighbors.

Old 07-07-2021, 11:10 PM

72 posts, read 45,037 times
There are two issues. One is the price, or "discount" as it's being called here. The other is ease/difficulty of resale.

A property will tend to be compared to others in its general vicinity. If your yard is small compared to other yards in the neighborhood, then your property will tend to sell for less than those of your neighbors.

In the current seller's market, almost anything and everything will sell immediately. That's not remotely true in a buyer's market. If your property is notably disadvantaged compared to nearby properties, then it might sit for months or years, regardless of price.

In the suburbs, most people want a yard. So if you lack one, your property may be really hard to unload someday.

I once passed on a suburban townhouse in large part because it completely lacked a backyard -- it only had a deck. Most other units in that development had small yards, many of them with privacy fences. I figured that someday when I went to sell, my property would always come in second place compared to neighboring properties that had yards, however tiny they may be. If you have a small dog and it's 6 a.m., it's very convenient to boot your pet out the back door to pee instead of actually having to walk it.

Old 07-08-2021, 04:26 AM

572 posts, read 326,187 times
If no backyard it is ok , if there is area in front of the house. Different families have different needs and requirements but it does not potentially effect the price .

Old 07-08-2021, 06:54 AM

65 posts, read 40,925 times
Thanks for the replies. Seems there is no hard and fast rule, and some may even view it as a plus.

Old 07-08-2021, 07:11 AM

489 posts, read 887,233 times
Depends on the buyer. Some want 0 yard work (that's very nice), and some want a yard for kids to play in, dogs to run around, etc. It's like houses with a pool. Some would want one (me), other view them as a major PITA, liability, and increased insurance costs. House itself and square footage would matter more.

I could see a house being less desirable if it had 0 yard and you stared into your neighbor's window right over the fence. That may end up resulting in the house selling for less if most buyers find it unattractive.

Old 07-08-2021, 07:46 AM

1,299 posts, read 823,847 times
When my spouse and I were house shopping with our realtor, she did not quite understand our desire for a decent amount of greenspace. She was an acquaintance, so we'd been to her house and it was a gorgeous new build with a pool, nice deck, and some planters for flowers. But we had a big dog, and we like greenery. She found us a great house for us with a large yard (for our neighbourhood) plus mature trees.

Different strokes for different folks.

Old 07-08-2021, 10:17 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Some people want no yard to take care of, and some do. It might limit your buyers, but so do any number of other things. You won’t please everybody.

When we were house hunting in the south (carport land), we needed at least a 3 car garage. Low and behold, we found a house with an attached 2 car plus a detached 2 car. We made sure to comment about how the detached garage took up most of the yard, so as not to appear overeager, but secretly we were thrilled.

Old 07-08-2021, 02:21 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,650,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
depends. in a 'lock and leave' type neighborhood that tends to cater to DINKS and retirees, no yard (maintenance) is actually a plus. Besides, I don't think there is such a thing as 'no yard'...it may be that a VERY tiny lot, which comprises of mostly deck, but I've never heard of 'no backyard' at all.
My first house in Mission Viejo, CA was kind of no-backyard, along with almost all of the other houses in the area. All built on terraced hillsides, so the backyard rose straight up in a steep hill. We put in a gazebo and brick stairway, and a tiny patio on what little flat there was. Most homeowners did nothing with the hill, but I planted Korean grass on it instead of sagebrush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate