Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 10:14 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,971,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
They do and they don't.
People all have different needs.

Many folks are emotionally attached to the homestead.
We had no emotional attachment to my husband's house. It was the people next door who asked us to sell the house to "Indians". You can guess what ethnicity our neighbors are.

We didn't tell her about the offers we were considering. I think she was just playing the odds. We never mentioned this to our agent. And it didn't influence which offer my spouse accepted. But now I'm curious: If my spouse had granted the request of the nice Indian lady next door, would that have been "bad"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2021, 10:43 AM

779 posts, read 424,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
We had no emotional attachment to my husband's house. It was the people next door who asked us to sell the house to "Indians". You can guess what ethnicity our neighbors are.

We didn't tell her about the offers we were considering. I think she was just playing the odds. We never mentioned this to our agent. And it didn't influence which offer my spouse accepted. But now I'm curious: If my spouse had granted the request of the nice Indian lady next door, would that have been "bad"?
On it's face it doesn't sound so nefarious. It's not as extreme as "I would never sell my house to such and such race." But at the same time if you're favoring one particular race then anyone of a different race isn't getting a fair shake. Even though there isn't malice or hate in the thought process it's still discrimination.

Old 07-08-2021, 10:52 AM

43,302 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

If your agent knowingly supported and enabled that request, that would have been a misstep for them.
Best for agents to keep in mind we sell houses, not people.

Old 07-08-2021, 11:21 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,971,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplechamp View Post
On it's face it doesn't sound so nefarious. It's not as extreme as "I would never sell my house to such and such race." But at the same time if you're favoring one particular race then anyone of a different race isn't getting a fair shake. Even though there isn't malice or hate in the thought process it's still discrimination.

Yeah, that makes sense.

Old 07-08-2021, 11:27 AM

903 posts, read 583,851 times
Really silly in the end. It doesn't accomplish anything, but waste time to pass it and paper to print the bill. I guess the paper companies are happy.

Old 07-08-2021, 12:01 PM

14,489 posts, read 12,128,212 times
I agree it's an overreach. And I actually have supported and helped write such love letters in the past. Not for banned reasons, but for emotional reasons important to buyer and seller.

We sold a horse farm that the previous owner had built and loved and made careful decisions about the layout and finishes on (the barn, not the house!) She wanted to sell it to another horse person. She didn't want to sell it to someone who wanted to turn it into a welding shop or a marijuana grow. She wanted happy horses to continue living there. That's understandable.

And increasingly in this area, it's an issue that can be in conflict with the highest and best offer. There are cash buyers who will come out and pay high prices, cash, for rural properties with big outbuildings on them, to use for growing and processing operations. I don't think it's wrong if people don't want to see that happen to a place they've loved, even if it means *perhaps* more cash in their pocket.

Our own farm, I will definitely want to sell to someone who will love and maintain what we see as a beautiful sanctuary. We have a bald eagle nest in our pasture and a large natural area below with a creek and wetland and forest where we have abundant wildlife we have protected and nurtured. We want to sell it to someone who will continue to protect that. As agents, we know how careful we need to be to honor fair housing law and we intend to do that. It's not about the money, it's about this place, that is special. And I think that's OK. "Lover of nature" is not a protected class.

It's something we definitely think about, perhaps more often than some, because some of the farms we sell are not just houses, they represent a lot of work and sweat and love, both for buyers, and sellers. Some of our buyers are looking for a dream. And some of our sellers want to see someone appreciate what they've built. And some don't care about that stuff at all, they're leaving, or planning on doing something new with it. People make decisions for all kinds of reasons and I'd like to leave ourselves enough freedom to allow for those reasons to matter sometimes.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 07-08-2021 at 12:14 PM..

Old 07-08-2021, 12:04 PM

4,031 posts, read 3,642,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
And, don't all buyers and sellers search for the other party on FB, Instagram, or other social media?

I thought that was just me.

Old 07-08-2021, 12:27 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,681,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I agree it's an overreach. And I actually have supported and helped write such love letters in the past. Not for banned reasons, but for emotional reasons important to buyer and seller.

We sold a horse farm that the previous owner had built and loved and made careful decisions about the layout and finishes on (the barn, not the house!) She wanted to sell it to another horse person. She didn't want to sell it to someone who wanted to turn it into a welding shop or a marijuana grow. She wanted happy horses to continue living there. That's understandable.

And increasingly in this area, it's an issue that can be in conflict with the highest and best offer. There are cash buyers who will come out and pay high prices, cash, for rural properties with big outbuildings on them, to use for growing and processing operations. I don't think it's wrong if people don't want to see that happen to a place they've loved, even if it means *perhaps* more cash in their pocket.

Our own farm, I will definitely want to sell to someone who will love and maintain what we see as a beautiful sanctuary. We have a bald eagle nest in our pasture and a large natural area below with a creek and wetland and forest where we have abundant wildlife we have protected and nurtured. We want to sell it to someone who will continue to protect that. As agents, we know how careful we need to be to honor fair housing law and we intend to do that. It's not about the money, it's about this place, that is special. And I think that's OK. "Lover of nature" is not a protected class.

It's something we definitely think about, perhaps more often than some, because some of the farms we sell are not just houses, they represent a lot of work and sweat and love, both for buyers, and sellers. Some of our buyers are looking for a dream. And some of our sellers want to see someone appreciate what they've built. And some don't care about that stuff at all, they're leaving, or planning on doing something new with it. People make decisions for all kinds of reasons and I'd like to leave ourselves enough freedom to allow for those reasons to matter sometimes.
I don’t think that it’s unusual even in an more urban area. If you live in an older, more vintage home or building, you might not want it to be torn down to be replaced with a multi-story condo building or several large townhome units. I had a friend who owned a vintage 3-flat in Chicago that was torn down for a condo building and I think she was sad about it. 2- and 3-flats are also part of Chicago history, so it is sad when they are torn down to be replaced by larger high rise condos/apartments.

Old 07-08-2021, 12:31 PM

14,489 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I don’t think that it’s unusual even in an more urban area. If you live in an older, more vintage home or building, you might not want it to be torn down to be replaced with a multi-story condo building or several large townhome units. I had a friend who owned a vintage 3-flat in Chicago that was torn down for a condo building and I think she was sad about it. 2- and 3-flats are also part of Chicago history, so it is sad when they are torn down to be replaced by larger high rise condos/apartments.

Yes, I think that's definitely true, particularly with vintage and historic homes!

Old 07-08-2021, 12:38 PM

9,136 posts, read 6,196,866 times
If you are the buyer, why not just write directly to the seller? The "love letters" are not illegal.

"a seller’s agent shall reject any communication other than customary documents in a real estate transaction, including photographs,
provided by a buyer."

Nothing prohibits a buyer from sending the letter directly to the seller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate