Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 07:32 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times

Advertisements

Another thing in case it has not been mentioned yet.....does this infringe on Freedom of Speech?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2021, 07:45 AM

43,296 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Another thing in case it has not been mentioned yet.....does this infringe on Freedom of Speech?

No.

Old 07-09-2021, 08:00 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I don't think so. This regulates business conduct, not speech.

Old 07-09-2021, 09:46 AM

14,487 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
In a situation like yours, I would definitely consider putting at least part of your property in a conservation easement. Unfortunately this can really reduce the pool of potential buyers, but they would be folks who had the same interests in the land and nature that you do.

I don't think that much restriction is necessary and would probably be onerous, but we have put some of the property in open space tax status.... it's wetland and flood plain down there and unbuildable, so good to not be taxed on it, but we're not limited from mowing and keeping trails open on it, or from using it as pasture for livestock in summer, so it's a good balance.

Old 07-09-2021, 09:53 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
No.
Agreed. It restricts the listing agent's behavior as part of licensing law. The buyer can write one, we just can't pass it along.

Old 07-09-2021, 11:25 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Such a law will not really stop such discrimination. Let's face it, Google is your friend, and whether selling a house or hiring an employee, people use it to help make decisions. If one wants to discriminate they will, and unless they are stupid about it, cannot be caught. When we bought our second house, our offer was a bit less than another, but the sellers were very religious and chose us because we were married with 2 kids and the other offer was an unmarried couple. There was nothing in writing on this, however, just something that the selling agent mentioned to our agent.
It won't prevent active and intentional discrimination but it certainly can prevent biases, etc...If a seller has in their mind that they won't sell to Elbonians, then they can make that happen without involving their realtor. If a seller has an emotional connection to the house there's a high chance that they have a picture in their mind of who they want the buyer to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I agree it's an overreach. And I actually have supported and helped write such love letters in the past. Not for banned reasons, but for emotional reasons important to buyer and seller.

We sold a horse farm that the previous owner had built and loved and made careful decisions about the layout and finishes on (the barn, not the house!) She wanted to sell it to another horse person. She didn't want to sell it to someone who wanted to turn it into a welding shop or a marijuana grow. She wanted happy horses to continue living there. That's understandable.

And increasingly in this area, it's an issue that can be in conflict with the highest and best offer. There are cash buyers who will come out and pay high prices, cash, for rural properties with big outbuildings on them, to use for growing and processing operations. I don't think it's wrong if people don't want to see that happen to a place they've loved, even if it means *perhaps* more cash in their pocket.

Our own farm, I will definitely want to sell to someone who will love and maintain what we see as a beautiful sanctuary. We have a bald eagle nest in our pasture and a large natural area below with a creek and wetland and forest where we have abundant wildlife we have protected and nurtured. We want to sell it to someone who will continue to protect that. As agents, we know how careful we need to be to honor fair housing law and we intend to do that. It's not about the money, it's about this place, that is special. And I think that's OK. "Lover of nature" is not a protected class.

It's something we definitely think about, perhaps more often than some, because some of the farms we sell are not just houses, they represent a lot of work and sweat and love, both for buyers, and sellers. Some of our buyers are looking for a dream. And some of our sellers want to see someone appreciate what they've built. And some don't care about that stuff at all, they're leaving, or planning on doing something new with it. People make decisions for all kinds of reasons and I'd like to leave ourselves enough freedom to allow for those reasons to matter sometimes.
There are often other avenues to insure that in many cases. Conservation easements, etc...I know in an area of South Georgia/North Florida there are huge plantations that get put into easements that protect them from development while still allowing timber to be harvested, etc...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
My parents used to get them directly in their mailbox frequently. They weren't even selling. I know they would say "If we WERE selling---that would convince us". It had an effect on them.

I think it's overreach. A seller should be able to sell to whoever they choose.
That's entirely different...that's someone looking for a house to buy, a solicitation, not an offer.

Old 07-09-2021, 01:27 PM

5,995 posts, read 3,736,069 times
This situation about "Love Letters" from a potential buyer is another one of those situations where the ruling by some state Real Estate Association applies to all the licensed agents in the state, but does nothing whatsoever to prevent a potential buyer from going around the agent and contacting the seller directly. If a buyer wants to send a letter to a seller, there is absolutely no law stopping that.

And that buyer's actions are not in any way hampered or restricted by what the state R.E.A. has to say, and they can do absolutely ZERO about it as long as the agent doesn't participate in the encouragement or facilitating of said letter.

Old 07-09-2021, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
This situation about "Love Letters" from a potential buyer is another one of those situations where the ruling by some state Real Estate Association applies to all the licensed agents in the state, but does nothing whatsoever to prevent a potential buyer from going around the agent and contacting the seller directly. If a buyer wants to send a letter to a seller, there is absolutely no law stopping that.

And that buyer's actions are not in any way hampered or restricted by what the state R.E.A. has to say, and they can do absolutely ZERO about it as long as the agent doesn't participate in the encouragement or facilitating of said letter.
You DO recognize the difference between a "legislature" and "law" vs. your "R.E.A.," and a "ruling," don't you?

Old 07-09-2021, 02:18 PM

5,995 posts, read 3,736,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
You DO recognize the difference between a "legislature" and "law" vs. your "R.E.A.," and a "ruling," don't you?
Makes no difference. The effect is the same. The law applies only to the R/E agents, not to their clients. As long as the agent is not involved in it, the client can do as he pleases.

Old 07-09-2021, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Makes no difference. The effect is the same. The law applies only to the R/E agents, not to their clients. As long as the agent is not involved in it, the client can do as he pleases.
OK. So you don't recognize the difference. Got it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate