Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 11:04 AM

14,489 posts, read 12,128,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer81 View Post
I really think I'll just have to hope it all works out and that we make it to closing and they actually have the money.
And that's what I'll hope for too. And it's probably as safe bet. I don't think the buyer has necessarily done anything wrong.

No question a mistake was made, the best course now is to not make any more mistakes.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 07-13-2021 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: clarity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2021, 11:09 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,991,425 times
First of all, I suspect the contract has a condition requiring of PQ or POF by a certain time frame or you have the opportunity to void it. Check the contract and see, and if that's the case just request a copy with a name. It shouldn't offend anyone to do so. If it turns out they don't have it, there's your out w/o having to ride it out.

It is reasonable to expect a POF with a name on it, but it's necessarily an anomoly for it to happen on screenshots, etc for the name to be missing. The POF only needs to show they have the funds needed to purchase the house, not a surplus of funds above and beyond. Most likely they only showed you what they needed. I've done this myself by simply transferring over just enough for closing and showing a copy of the bank statement.

The agent should have shared the POF with you when she got it, but at the same time it could be argued she followed your instructions that once she received the POF she sent the contract over. Most likely there is no funny business going on here, just a need for clear communication on what you want to your agent and from there down the line to the buyer.

My advice is to not make a mountain out of mole hill, and remember this a business transaction. Check your emotion and just tell the agents what you expect moving forward and that you'd still like to see a POF with a name on it.

Old 07-13-2021, 11:19 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,577,118 times
We had to get the bank and Fidelity to provide a notarized letter verifying the account snapshots and that they had produced the documents. This was about two years ago. You had 1-2 days time till the inspection to validate that all the information is correct.

Old 07-13-2021, 11:25 AM

84 posts, read 94,553 times
Reading the responses here has made me feel a little more comfortable with the proof of funds. Seems like even though what the buyer provided was not what I expected to see, it is in fact within the realm of 'normal.' The way people in this thread have explained things makes sense to me (no reason for a buyer to tip their hand and reveal how wealthy they are, maybe even no need to connect the funds with a name / none of my business who the money belongs to.) If my realtor would have kept me informed and been able to share this type of info and knowledge with me we could have avoided a lot of uneasiness.

So the bigger issue is the way my realtor handled all of this. If I had been shown the documentation, been given a little time to think and research, maybe expressed my concerns to the buyer's agent, and ultimately been allowed to make the decision for myself I'd be feeling better right now. It is a fabulous offer if it's for real, $60,000 over my asking price and all cash. In a way I guess it feels too good to be true which is why I wanted to verify everything.

Along with the offer, the buyer's agent included a note. Stuff about who the buyers are, that they have dogs, etc. but one detail that stood out to me was that the buyer originally intended to go with a conventional mortgage, then they fell in love with my house, had to have it, and knowing there would be lots of competition for it "fortunately have the funds to make a cash offer." That was a little bit of a red flag to me, like since they weren't initially intending to pay cash for a house are they later going to try to switch back to financing.

Old 07-13-2021, 11:27 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,114,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer81 View Post
Thank you so much for these answers. So it seems like it is totally normal to only show the bare minimum of funds to cover the offer price, but not normal that there are no names on the portfolio balances they provided as proof of funds.
Yes, that is completely normal for proof of funds to only cover the purchase price.

No, their names don't have to be on the documents but the other information marked out.

Old 07-13-2021, 11:36 AM

779 posts, read 424,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryDay View Post
Proof of Funds Is just that. The statement needs to have a current date and cover the price.
The statement does not have to have a name. Perhaps parents or other parties are providing the funds. That is not the seller's business.
I disagree, I think who has the funds is very much the seller's business. It makes a difference to me in deciding if I'm to accept the offer. Whether you have the money or your great aunt Tilly does impacts how much faith I have in the offer. Either get it transferred ahead of time or have the person with the funds be on the contract.

Are you saying you'd accept a cash offer with the buyer not actually having the cash themselves, only showing you a statement with names redacted saying "Look this anonymous person has the money and they totally promised they'll give it to me"?

Old 07-13-2021, 11:41 AM

6,484 posts, read 10,357,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplechamp View Post
Are you saying you'd accept a cash offer with the buyer not actually having the cash themselves, only showing you a statement with names redacted saying "Look this anonymous person has the money and they totally promised they'll give it to me"?
I agree with this completely.

Old 07-13-2021, 11:48 AM

557 posts, read 297,679 times
Quote:
I disagree, I think who has the funds is very much the seller's business. It makes a difference to me in deciding if I'm to accept the offer. Whether you have the money or your great aunt Tilly does impacts how much faith I have in the offer. Either get it transferred ahead of time or have the person with the funds be on the contract.

A seller can stipulate anything he wants. BUT HE DIDN'T. Proof of Funds is Proof of Funds. It was received. It met the Seller's stipulation. Yes, the realtor can then accept it.

He didn't state: he wanted to see the proof of funds and then based on a set of unstated nebulous 'feelings', he may or may not accept it.

Old 07-13-2021, 11:55 AM

14,489 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Proof of funds IS subjective and subject to approval.

It can mean anything, but it's fair to ask for an explanation or further proof.

If Great Aunt Tilly is giving the funds and writes a letter saying so, that can be submitted too! And judged on its merits.

The sticking point here is who has the authority to decide whether it's enough. No question the decision should have been with the seller, not the agent... And I'm pretty sure even the OP's agent would agree.

Old 07-13-2021, 12:09 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,991,425 times
Quote:
I disagree, I think who has the funds is very much the seller's business. I...
I've had instances where a parent is buying the house and wants it to be in their child's name. The POF has the parents name but we received the explanation in advance. There are exceptions, but some random name would raise questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate