Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2021, 05:28 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,066,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTBriGuy View Post
After a painstaking 3 months of looking for a house and countless rejections, my broker has informed me that I've been denied a loan because of poor credit history, low score and unable to provide 12 months of rent payments from my landlord. Why would he continue the process of telling me to look for a house if these factors were considered from the start? He strung me along, asking me to remove an item from CAIVRS in less than 30 days or we can't close. So I did! I also was given an extension to come up closing costs and even borrowed money to do it. And his denial letter stated that I didn't clear CAIVRS when I did! And I paid for the inspection which passed and also sent $2000 in earnest money. If my credit history, score and rent payments were the issue, why would he continue this whole process of me getting a loan? And the reason I couldn't give him 12 months of rent payments is because my landlord has refused to accept rent anymore because he wants us out so he can move back into the house. I have no control over this! I'm so frustrated! Now I have no house and now I have to fight with the rest of the public trying to get an apartment from a landlord that accepts pets. And I keep getting screwed by landlord because they ask for fees and never respond back! Has anyone else ever dealt with these issues?
Why didn’t you check your credit score before ever applying. Look at your credit report for negatives, or do you have write offs. You need to fix your credit report before applying for a mortgage. Do you have evictions on your credit report?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2021, 05:30 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,235,771 times
Quote:
After a painstaking 3 months of looking for a house and countless rejections, my broker has informed me that I've been denied a loan
This is why you get preapproval before house hunting.

Quote:
because of poor credit history, low score and unable to provide 12 months of rent payments from my landlord.
You obviously knew your credit history, credit score, and rental history, so I don't see how this was surprising.
Quote:
And the reason I couldn't give him 12 months of rent payments is because my landlord has refused to accept rent anymore because he wants us out so he can move back into the house.
Really? Your landlord is refusing your monthly rent payments. Sure, that sounds legit.
Quote:
And I keep getting screwed by landlord because they ask for fees and never respond back! Has anyone else ever dealt with these issues?
Refusing rent but asking for fees? Ok, dude.

Old 08-01-2021, 06:31 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
This is why you get preapproval before house hunting.

You obviously knew your credit history, credit score, and rental history, so I don't see how this was surprising.
Really? Your landlord is refusing your monthly rent payments. Sure, that sounds legit. Refusing rent but asking for fees? Ok, dude.
Apparently there is much more to this story

Old 08-01-2021, 07:22 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,233,524 times
The first line in the first post says it all. You get pre approved for a mortgage BEFORE you start shopping for a house; otherwise, how do you even know how much you are approved for? Obviously you know you have bad credit and a history of evictions. What would make you think you could get approved for a loan?

Old 08-01-2021, 10:19 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly1017 View Post
I don’t disagree with you at all but let’s not assume someone’s situation.

In 2009 I was paying $1250 for a 2 bedroom apartment in northern CT. Had student loan debt, just got married, little savings. Bought a 2 bedroom townhouse also in Northern CT for $150K, low HOA fees and my all in mortgage payment with taxes, principle, interest, insurance was $1090. Lived in that for 7 years and when sold got $30K check at closing..

At the time, I too struggled with closing costs, down payment (3.5%) but did have excellent credit (almost perfect.

Just because someone can’t save money well doesn’t mean they are “lucky to not get the mortgage”. The reality is in this case buying saved me money, made it easier to save and in the end, 7 years later, I instantly had $30K more in savings which was the down payment for my single family house. If I had never purchased I would have continued renting at higher numbers and never been creating equity.
If someone doesn't have $2000, how are they going to pay when an HVAC goes out? Or a roof needs to be replaced? Or any other number of things that cost far more than that to repair and just come with the territory of owning a house.

Old 08-01-2021, 11:24 AM

6,815 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
If someone doesn't have $2000, how are they going to pay when an HVAC goes out? Or a roof needs to be replaced? Or any other number of things that cost far more than that to repair and just come with the territory of owning a house.
To quote that guy in “The Graduate”: “plastic(s)”. Seriously, OP is not in any position to buy right now.

Old 08-01-2021, 01:11 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,502,052 times
Your mortgage officer did you a favor.

Did you get preapproved?

Borrowing funds to pay for closing? You probably don't have enough capital to afford a house.

How much were you putting down? My assumption is 5%. Was that borrowed money as well?

You need to continue renting. You obviously cannot afford a home, especially in this market.

Old 08-01-2021, 01:41 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,573,123 times
Ah for the good old days of "liar loans", also known as "no doc" loans. OP could be moving in as we speak....

Old 08-01-2021, 04:12 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Ah for the good old days of "liar loans", also known as "no doc" loans. OP could be moving in as we speak....
Those were the good old days! I bought 3 properties with no money down and cash out at closing and never got in trouble. Rented them all out to tenants then sold them couple yrs later.

Old 08-01-2021, 10:02 PM

557 posts, read 296,900 times
Learning experiences suck big time. Sorry for what you are going through. It is important that you don't go blaming others. Chalk it up to you didn't know what you didn't know.

Now you know that you need to get pre-approved so you know upfront whether you have mortgage-approval and for how much.

When my husband died, I felt like I was being kicked in the teeth daily with all the stuff that I just didn't know that I was supposed to be doing. It is hard.

It is a horrible feeling when we put all our mental, emotional, and fiscal energies into making a dream come true only to have it fall apart.

Unfortunately, the world continues turning even while ours is falling apart. Pull up your big boy/girl pants. Make a list of what you have to do. You need to rebuild your credit score, google how and build yourself a rental history. Make sure to pay on time every month, no more evictions no matter what. It feels tough right now but when you make a plan and stick to it, you will see the progress toward your goals.

Persevere. That is what I tell myself each day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate