Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2021, 10:13 PM

2 posts, read 4,267 times

Advertisements

After a painstaking 3 months of looking for a house and countless rejections, my broker has informed me that I've been denied a loan because of poor credit history, low score and unable to provide 12 months of rent payments from my landlord. Why would he continue the process of telling me to look for a house if these factors were considered from the start? He strung me along, asking me to remove an item from CAIVRS in less than 30 days or we can't close. So I did! I also was given an extension to come up closing costs and even borrowed money to do it. And his denial letter stated that I didn't clear CAIVRS when I did! And I paid for the inspection which passed and also sent $2000 in earnest money. If my credit history, score and rent payments were the issue, why would he continue this whole process of me getting a loan? And the reason I couldn't give him 12 months of rent payments is because my landlord has refused to accept rent anymore because he wants us out so he can move back into the house. I have no control over this! I'm so frustrated! Now I have no house and now I have to fight with the rest of the public trying to get an apartment from a landlord that accepts pets. And I keep getting screwed by landlord because they ask for fees and never respond back! Has anyone else ever dealt with these issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2021, 10:16 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
I would be searching for a new broker ASAP.

That said, based on your posting history, it seems you may have a history of difficulty, including evictions, etc. That comes into play when trying to get a mortgage.

Old 07-31-2021, 08:39 AM

9,119 posts, read 6,165,173 times
Since you have a history of evictions and blaming your landlord for not evicting you sooner, you have a low credit score, and a myriad of other financial problems, what makes you think anyone will give you a mortgage? It's not your broker's fault; it's you.

See if you can get a pre-approval. Then go look at a house.

Old 07-31-2021, 10:19 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,835,776 times
Just the fact that you needed borrow money for closing costs means that you were no where near ready to buy a home. Count your blessings that the mortgage was denied because you likely would of been in foreclosure in a couple of months.

Old 07-31-2021, 10:24 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,835,776 times
BTW....your sense of entitlement is overwhelming.

Old 07-31-2021, 10:47 AM

331 posts, read 207,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTBriGuy View Post
After a painstaking 3 months of looking for a house and countless rejections, my broker has informed me that I've been denied a loan because of poor credit history, low score and unable to provide 12 months of rent payments from my landlord. Why would he continue the process of telling me to look for a house if these factors were considered from the start? He strung me along, asking me to remove an item from CAIVRS in less than 30 days or we can't close. So I did! I also was given an extension to come up closing costs and even borrowed money to do it. And his denial letter stated that I didn't clear CAIVRS when I did! And I paid for the inspection which passed and also sent $2000 in earnest money. If my credit history, score and rent payments were the issue, why would he continue this whole process of me getting a loan? And the reason I couldn't give him 12 months of rent payments is because my landlord has refused to accept rent anymore because he wants us out so he can move back into the house. I have no control over this! I'm so frustrated! Now I have no house and now I have to fight with the rest of the public trying to get an apartment from a landlord that accepts pets. And I keep getting screwed by landlord because they ask for fees and never respond back! Has anyone else ever dealt with these issues?
Dh and I were preapproved before we bought a home. I haven’t heard of rent payments being needed. Our credit union wanted W-2, investment and saving account balances, as well as any other income.

Get your debts in order and save. Take it as a learning experience. It’s normal for renters to pay an application fee, firsts months rent and security deposit.

Old 07-31-2021, 02:25 PM

464 posts, read 312,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
Just the fact that you needed borrow money for closing costs means that you were no where near ready to buy a home. Count your blessings that the mortgage was denied because you likely would of been in foreclosure in a couple of months.
I don’t disagree with you at all but let’s not assume someone’s situation.

In 2009 I was paying $1250 for a 2 bedroom apartment in northern CT. Had student loan debt, just got married, little savings. Bought a 2 bedroom townhouse also in Northern CT for $150K, low HOA fees and my all in mortgage payment with taxes, principle, interest, insurance was $1090. Lived in that for 7 years and when sold got $30K check at closing..

At the time, I too struggled with closing costs, down payment (3.5%) but did have excellent credit (almost perfect.

Just because someone can’t save money well doesn’t mean they are “lucky to not get the mortgage”. The reality is in this case buying saved me money, made it easier to save and in the end, 7 years later, I instantly had $30K more in savings which was the down payment for my single family house. If I had never purchased I would have continued renting at higher numbers and never been creating equity.

Old 08-01-2021, 05:06 AM

10,346 posts, read 8,561,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly1017 View Post
I don’t disagree with you at all but let’s not assume someone’s situation.

In 2009 I was paying $1250 for a 2 bedroom apartment in northern CT. Had student loan debt, just got married, little savings. Bought a 2 bedroom townhouse also in Northern CT for $150K, low HOA fees and my all in mortgage payment with taxes, principle, interest, insurance was $1090. Lived in that for 7 years and when sold got $30K check at closing..

At the time, I too struggled with closing costs, down payment (3.5%) but did have excellent credit (almost perfect.

Just because someone can’t save money well doesn’t mean they are “lucky to not get the mortgage”. The reality is in this case buying saved me money, made it easier to save and in the end, 7 years later, I instantly had $30K more in savings which was the down payment for my single family house. If I had never purchased I would have continued renting at higher numbers and never been creating equity.
That worked out for you, but let’s look at what happens most of the time. Not just your case. You didn’t say what you had for income. What was your dti? Did you have history of not paying rent and being evicted?

Old 08-01-2021, 05:06 AM

6,700 posts, read 5,926,302 times
Pay off loans, build up some savings, and let 24 months go by with no financial hiccups like late rent or late credit card payment. This will help your credit score.

Also, consider getting a second job to build up your savings faster. There are lots of jobs out there.

Get a roommate to split the rent and utilities.

Lastly, are your parents still alive? See if they're willing to assist with a down-payment.

Old 08-01-2021, 05:23 AM

9,359 posts, read 14,093,349 times
I feel bad for you not knowing your history. Hope you can find another rental nearby. The landlord not giving receipts can be bypassed by you showing cancelled checks or bank statements that have those dollars taken out regularly. And if your landlord wants his house back maybe he will pay you a little something to help you move out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate