Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 01:19 AM

23,869 posts, read 33,581,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaRa1015 View Post
Buyer's agent took it too far and I will be filing a complaint against them. There was a mix up in communication about the final walk through and they came 2 days before close. We were scheduled for the day before close. Buyer's agent greeted me but was very surprised we were home in the middle of moving our last minute items. She tells me it's today I show her the email showing it's scheduled for tomorrow. She still insists the that the buyers should get to do their walk through. I told her no. Our kid's were eating dinner and we had sensitive paperwork laid out in the room. She keeps pushing me and I firmly said "it is not happening today I have the email stating the day before close at 6 pm, you can come back tomorrow."

Then here comes the buyers walking up confused and she stays in our driveway right in front of us complaining that I won't let them in the home. So after a few awkward minutes of them standing and talking they leave. Or so I thought. Turns out they all got into the agent's car and parked further down the street and watched us pack the rest of our stuff for close to an hour and disappeared. Finally my husband took off with the last load and I needed to pull my car back into the driveway. I turned around at the top of the street and when I was coming back down they were parked back in front of my home getting out. I pulled into my drive and they quickly jumped back into the agent's car and she drives them to their car two houses down and they leave.

I informed my agent she apologized profusely and has never dealt with this. Then the next day I got a call from my agent. Apparently the buyer's say they saw us loading all the appliances listed in the contract and taking them away. I am so grossed out. I am filing a complaint against the agent for her behavior. This is just so out of line. I regret not getting out this and selling to someone else so bad.

Talk about balsy people, but we already know from your 2 other threads that the buyers and agent are jack a$$es that like to push the limits.

Mike gave you good advice that you should have called your agent to lock them out of your lock box because now you don't know when they're going to pop into the house for whatever reason. I would not put it past them.

Will you be there today at 6 when they walk through? I suggest you have your agent go to it. When is the closing if it does happen? I hope you didn't move out for nothing. Worst case scenario is you have to relist the house.

Can you please update this thread if you do close instead of making a new thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSusana View Post
I'm sure you'll be offended, OP, but I think your actions that day were colored by the fact that you don't like the buyers or their agent. Most sellers try to be accommodating even if it's not their first choice. You could have said, "Give me 15 minutes, please" and cleaned up the meal, hustling the kids out of the house. There will be many other meals, which you know. In that 15 minutes, you could have grabbed up the "sensitive" paperwork.

Or you could have said, "I'm busy packing, but if you want to come on in, I will continue doing what I am doing." The ball would be in their court, then--do the walk through with you there, or come back when they were actually scheduled.

You went with the "letter of the law." And that's fine--that's your right. Hopefully, you will find new buyers fairly quickly since you will be living out of boxes and/or unpacking. But I've always heard that the first offer, assuming it isn't a lowball, is usually the best offer and to work hard to make that offer work.

The OP is firmly justified for expecting the agent and buyers to act like adults, and for the agent to take the lead and keep the buyers under control.
A formal complaint is reasonable, taking the OP's post at face value.

Apparently SouthernSusana deleted her reply while you were replying to her or soon after. I guess she realized she was wrong about these buyers and their agent. Maybe she read one of the OP's other 2 threads about this nightmare sale.

To SouthernSusana if you're still following this thread, I don't doubt these buyers would still do their walk through right before closing if it even happens because they're that type of buyer.

Buyer wants all our personal items

Quote:
We listed our home and had several offers within 24 hours. The one we selected is now coming back to bite us in the rear. The home inspection was completed and several issues came up. One is a big issue that insurance will take care of and we will fix. However, the buyer's realtor won't send over the list of repairs yet. They are wanting us to agree to conditions before we see the report. They are asking for $4000 off asking price and they want almost all of our personal furniture/belongings. The furniture they are asking for is worth over several thousand dollars and about everything is almost brand new. They stayed at the showing for over 3 hours. During this time they went through each room and photographed every personal item they wanted to use as leverage for repairs. I am actually disgusted by what they asked for. I was more than willing to compromise on repairs but they want all our personal belongings. Some things cross a boundary into just plain creepy. We are ready to walk and relist just to get away from this buyer. What is everyone's opinions?

Sketchy buyers agent

Quote:
We are a few days out from closing and the one major repair that we agreed to turned out to be completely made up. Inspector said the roof needed to be completely replaced and had over 10k in damages. After a lengthy process of playing phone tag with the insurance company we finally got a field inspector to come out. Field inspector finds maybe $200 (at the very most) worth of damage to the roof. The inspection report listed false damages and claims. The field inspector was very thorough and said the inspection report for the roof appears fraudulent.

I feel as though the buyers agent has been very sketchy during this whole process. For starters she let the buyers stay over 3 hours and photograph our personal belongings throughout the house. She tried to get us to give the buyer all the belongings they photographed along with several thousand off the house. She has been pushing our agent to try to get us to replace the roof on our dime before the field inspector could come out. Our agent advised us not to so we waited. Now the entire inspection report is coming under question. My agent is trying to get to the bottom of it right now. Is this normal?
Quote:
We have the actual report from the home inspector. The buyer's agent wanted us to knock several thousand dollars off the list price due to findings listed in the inspection report. We refused to move forward without it to justify the price adjustment. She finally emailed our agent the official inspection report. There were many photos taken and included on each page of the report except when it came to the roof. There was just a single photo of the spot with the two missing shingles. Yet, there was a list a mile long about what was wrong with the roof. The report said the roof is hazardous, past life expectancy, and not up to code. In red colored, italicized font read "roof condition extremely poor. Hazardous deficiencies noted throughout. Roof replacement needed to bring to good working condition". The buyer's agent gave her own estimate of 10k as from what she was told by the inspector.

Our insurance adjuster hired a field inspector who is an actual licensed contractor. Field inspector took tons of photos to contradict everything in the report. Both the field inspector's and the buyer's inspector report were sent in to the insurance agency to review and compare.
Quote:
We only agreed to repairs if insurance covered the cost and deemed it necessary to bring roof up to code. Insurance will not pay for it because in their eyes nothing is wrong other than the two missing shingles and just normal wear with age. It's not hazardous or inhabitable like their inspector noted in the official report. Our agent let the buyer's agent know to back off. We haven't heard anything else from them other than scheduling the walk through. We are down to our last 24 hours in the home so hopefully we can just get through the end and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2021, 03:32 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Quote:
The OP is firmly justified for expecting the agent and buyers to act like adults, and for the agent to take the lead and keep the buyers under control.
A formal complaint is reasonable, taking the OP's post at face value.
I would have expected the Listing agent to take a more active role in laying out the rules to the Buyers agents. A good azz chewing sounds deserved.

And probably should have been done early on.

Old 08-06-2021, 06:15 AM

43,309 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I would have expected the Listing agent to take a more active role in laying out the rules to the Buyers agents. A good azz chewing sounds deserved.

And probably should have been done early on.
Some agents just don't listen.
The walk-through experience the OP relates only reflects on the listing agent if they told the buyers agent it would be OK to access the property at that time.

Old 08-06-2021, 07:46 AM

6,484 posts, read 10,357,154 times
Quote:
That reminds me of an old Will Smith song.

Old 08-06-2021, 09:24 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,993,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Welcome to the world of Real Estate sales where we decent agents have to put up with these loser agents on a regular basis.

It's one thing I tell my Sellers it's my job to protect them from Agents and People like this as much as possible. When they first showed up you should have given your agent a call so they could have called Loser Agent and told them to get lost. I've gone over and taken the key or changed the lockbox so no one can get in the house without my approval.
We need to get people like her out of the business. Good luck with the complaint. Their behavior is not acceptable.

Old 08-06-2021, 09:25 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,993,410 times
Quote:
The walk-through experience the OP relates only reflects on the listing agent if they told the buyers agent it would be OK to access the property at that time.
Right. Chances are it wouldn't have mattered except to tick them off. The agents job is to close the deal and sometimes ripping the other side a new one is counter-productive. That call belongs to the seller on how they want the agent to handle it.

Old 08-06-2021, 09:34 AM

6,484 posts, read 10,357,154 times
I would attempt to contact the other agent's broker in charge first before filing a complaint with the state or local Real Estate commission. Depending on local/state regulations, that may have to be attempted first. Your agent can assist you in getting that information along with how and who to file a claim with. Best wishes.

I am not an attorney and I don't play one on television. I am a former practicing Realtor.

Old 08-06-2021, 09:36 AM

30,641 posts, read 18,242,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Apparently SouthernSusana deleted her reply while you were replying to her or soon after. I guess she realized she was wrong about these buyers and their agent. Maybe she read one of the OP's other 2 threads about this nightmare sale.

To SouthernSusana if you're still following this thread, I don't doubt these buyers would still do their walk through right before closing if it even happens because they're that type of buyer.

Buyer wants all our personal items

Sketchy buyers agent
I agree with you. I see SouthernSusana's point, though, and like to think that I would have made accommodations in order to decrease the chances of a buyer walking (in the grand scheme of things, I'd view this as a minor--if rude--inconvenience, especially as I'm trying to unload my property), but I never think it is unreasonable to expect people to follow through with what has been agreed to.

As much as the buyer's agent seems to have been at fault here, if I'm the buyers, I'd also want some reasonable accommodation--though I understand that none is owed--if I showed up at the time through no fault of my own. I could see how the refusal of a seller to allow a walk through could leave a bad taste in someone's mouth.

I'd definitely report this buyer's agent, though.

Old 08-06-2021, 10:10 AM

12,845 posts, read 9,578,282 times
Horrifying. Wow.

Old 08-06-2021, 10:41 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,226,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Right. Chances are it wouldn't have mattered except to tick them off. The agents job is to close the deal and sometimes ripping the other side a new one is counter-productive. That call belongs to the seller on how they want the agent to handle it.
I have callouses on my tongue from all the times I've not spoken my mind in the interest of getting the deal closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate