Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2021, 02:40 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingLiberty1919D View Post
Thank you all again. I think what I will do is plan to just do the needed repairs (replacing broken shut off valves and fixing that toilet--or getting someone to fix it since I've been unsuccessful so far) and paint and then do a nice, deep, cleaning. I will get quotes on redoing the floors, but just for my information at that point. Then put it up for sale.

I will try to sell it without redoing the floors and see how it goes. I will have the quotes to offer for an allowance if needed (so any buyer can redo the floors in a color they want). And worst case, I can always choose to refinish later if I think it's holding things back.
you have worked through the problem

if floors are damaged/worn, I'd generally suggest refinishing. What you're talking about completely becomes the Buyer's personal opinion (or desire in stain color), so just talk to 2 or 3 good hardwood floor refinishers, ask them what needs to be done, and get their quotes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2021, 09:25 AM

18,473 posts, read 31,643,914 times
I would not refinish them, because the new people might either want then stained a different color, or keep them natural.

To me, I'd rather buy the house with the floors the way you have them because, I like dark chocolate brown stained floors, and if you had them sanded and polyed, id have to re-do them again.
JMO.

No one can predict what the next buyer would want.
Don't make an allowance either. That to me is nonsense. This is the house I'm selling, and this is the way the floors are.

JMO

Old 08-10-2021, 10:03 AM

685 posts, read 720,327 times
Sounds like you have already made up your mind on what to do.
This site might help if you want to clean it up some to make it look better for your own peace of mind.

https://www.thespruce.com/before-ref...floors-4065469

Old 08-10-2021, 12:19 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,928 times
Quote:
Thank you all again. I think what I will do is plan to just do the needed repairs (replacing broken shut off valves and fixing that toilet--or getting someone to fix it since I've been unsuccessful so far) and paint and then do a nice, deep, cleaning. I will get quotes on redoing the floors, but just for my information at that point. Then put it up for sale.

I will try to sell it without redoing the floors and see how it goes. I will have the quotes to offer for an allowance if needed (so any buyer can redo the floors in a color they want). And worst case, I can always choose to refinish later if I think it's holding things back.
That’s one way to do it, but buyers will see scratched up floors and wonder what else you’ve let go. I have hardwood floors and am going to try a product called Restor A Finish, it’s supposed to make scratches and stains disappear with a minimum of fuss. The reviews are good and I’m planning to try the entryway this weekend.

Old 08-10-2021, 02:59 PM

1,579 posts, read 950,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
That’s one way to do it, but buyers will see scratched up floors and wonder what else you’ve let go. I have hardwood floors and am going to try a product called Restor A Finish, it’s supposed to make scratches and stains disappear with a minimum of fuss. The reviews are good and I’m planning to try the entryway this weekend.

Thanks I've used Restor A Finish on my kitchen cabinets, so I am familiar with it. The problem with my floors isn't that they are scratched up (they aren't). It's that the floor that isn't under rugs is faded from the sunlight. When I move the oriental rugs, the floor is a few shades darker than the rest. When I do a deep clean after I move all the stuff out of the house, I will look into something I can easily apply (like Restor A Finish). I've tried cleaning parts of it with Murphy's Oil soap and while it looks better, it's still lighter than the wood that's been under rugs. But if I can find something that blends them a little better so the fading doesn't stand out so much, I am open to trying it.

Old 08-10-2021, 04:06 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,928 times
Quote:
Thanks I've used Restor A Finish on my kitchen cabinets, so I am familiar with it. The problem with my floors isn't that they are scratched up (they aren't). It's that the floor that isn't under rugs is faded from the sunlight. When I move the oriental rugs, the floor is a few shades darker than the rest. When I do a deep clean after I move all the stuff out of the house, I will look into something I can easily apply (like Restor A Finish). I've tried cleaning parts of it with Murphy's Oil soap and while it looks better, it's still lighter than the wood that's been under rugs. But if I can find something that blends them a little better so the fading doesn't stand out so much, I am open to trying it.
That’s what Restor A Finish is supposed to do, blend the colors. You might try a color just a little darker than your floor and see if that doesn’t help. Murphy”s makes the floor look nice after you’ve mopped it, but it’s soap, so it won’t change the color.

Old 08-12-2021, 08:21 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,149,219 times
I would only do the refinishing if I wanted to enjoy them for myself for at least several months before listing...but that isn't the situation you describe.

Unless your most likely buyers are young first-timers who *need* everything updated, shiny and new with "no projects", my advice is NOT do it. (In fact, I would even discourage you from the painting you describe.)

As a current house-hunter (mature, move-up buyer), I hate it when someone does too much to get their house ready to market. Makes me assume they want top dollar for things that are usually not to my taste...and it triggers arguments with DH who hates the idea of re-doing something that's been recently re-done, even if he'd hate it.

Old 08-12-2021, 10:38 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Hard floor is almost..a deal breaker for me because I know they cost a lot to buy. If I see a house with refinished floors that would mean a lot.

Old 08-13-2021, 06:05 AM

4,853 posts, read 3,279,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
I think that's a reach. 'Life happens' to floors.

Old 08-13-2021, 03:30 PM

1,579 posts, read 950,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
I would only do the refinishing if I wanted to enjoy them for myself for at least several months before listing...but that isn't the situation you describe.

Unless your most likely buyers are young first-timers who *need* everything updated, shiny and new with "no projects", my advice is NOT do it. (In fact, I would even discourage you from the painting you describe.)

As a current house-hunter (mature, move-up buyer), I hate it when someone does too much to get their house ready to market. Makes me assume they want top dollar for things that are usually not to my taste...and it triggers arguments with DH who hates the idea of re-doing something that's been recently re-done, even if he'd hate it.
That's an interesting take on things. I didn't consider that doing the cleanup and prep to put a house on the market would make people think I was going to increase the price. I figured it was just something one does to make the house look good... to attract buyers.

I live in a townhouse... in a good neighborhood with great schools and close to public transportation/an easy commute (it's why I moved here with my daughter years ago). Most people buying townhouses in my neighborhood are young couples with kids going into the local school. So I assumed my house would be something a first time home buyer would be interested in.

I wonder, if instead of painting and doing all the projects, I should do what you suggest and, instead offer cash to the buyer at closing so people could paint and do whatever they want. Do people like that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate