Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2021, 05:12 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times

Advertisements

Well, going against the grain here, but I think you should refinish. You said it's only 650 sq ft. and refinished floors make the place look SO GOOD! Probably increase your bottom line, even though as you say they sell quickly and over asking.

I would just finish in the most natural way possible, nothing too crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2021, 06:43 AM

3 posts, read 1,954 times
What`s the condition of your floor? Is it damaged or is it just a spontaneous idea? If there's nothing wrong with the floor, I wouldn't redo it. Simply because the new owners might not like something and your work`d be a waste. If there`s visible damage that could significantly affect the sale, get it repaired.

Old 08-17-2021, 08:37 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,129,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
I would only do the refinishing if I wanted to enjoy them for myself for at least several months before listing...but that isn't the situation you describe.

Unless your most likely buyers are young first-timers who *need* everything updated, shiny and new with "no projects", my advice is NOT do it. (In fact, I would even discourage you from the painting you describe.)

As a current house-hunter (mature, move-up buyer), I hate it when someone does too much to get their house ready to market. Makes me assume they want top dollar for things that are usually not to my taste...and it triggers arguments with DH who hates the idea of re-doing something that's been recently re-done, even if he'd hate it.
Your post is very true, lol. As a seller, I want things spiffed up, looking good and turnkey. As a buyer, houses that have been ‘done’ get a hard pass. I have specific plans for the next house, like installing no slip tile, so the dogs have an easy time getting off the floor. White kitchen cabinets are popular, but not appealing.

Hardwood floors are a selling point and they are one thing I wouldn’t want to redo. It really depends on the overall condition of the house, if everything has been redone, leaving scruffy floors doesn’t make sense. It’s been my experience that buyers zero in on every little thing and use it as an excuse to knock off the price. There are lots of products to make scratches disappear and leave a shine. Unless the wood is heavily damaged, sanding is a lot of extra work, maybe give one of the newer products a try and go from there.

Old 08-18-2021, 02:49 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,335 times
I recently faced this issue; sold a house with pretty bad floors. I got a quote and it was only $1700 so I did it. The house was disgusting before I sold it (former rental property), so I spent about $15k all-in to bring it up to reasonable. My estimate was that I could have only got ~$475k in it's disgusting state, but after the repairs I was able to get $525k. Who knows, maybe there was someone crazy enough to pay $525k in its gross state, we'll never know.

Ironically, the previous tenants offered to buy the house but were only willing to pay $460k. After seeing how gross it was when they left, I don't blame them!

Old 08-19-2021, 07:44 AM

3 posts, read 1,954 times
What`s the condition of your floor? Is it damaged or is it just a spontaneous idea? If there's nothing wrong with the floor, I wouldn't redo it. Simply because the new owners might not like something and your work`d be a waste. If there`s visible damage that could significantly affect the sale, get it repaired. I`d advise you a real estate law firm https://swpdxlaw.com/services/condominium-hoa-law[/url], contact them, perhaps they can consult you on some other issues as well. Get advice from an experienced attorney about repairs and possible remodeling. If the coating fades from sunlight, the new owners can replace or repaint it themselves, I don't think it's a big deal.

Old 08-20-2021, 10:01 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,195 times
I'll be in the buyer position again in a few years, and hardwoods are a must have for me (currently own an apartment where 90% carpet is required and I hate it). It would make zero impact to me if floors needed to be refinished. I would also not care about paint. I'd care that the place was clean, and everything was in good working order. I would factor in what work I needed to do to get the place up to my standards in an offer price, but honestly, refinishing the floor in 650 sq ft is not terribly expensive, especially if the place is vacant.

So, it looks like you have your decision, but I agree with it - I wouldn't refinish them just for sale, and I wouldn't bother painting. Nor would I offer an allowance.

Old 08-20-2021, 11:25 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,264,317 times
9 months can change things a great deal. I would not make a decision until you are much closer to putting it on the market. Move in ready can make an offer happen quicker and for full price if there is a lot of competition.

Old 08-20-2021, 11:33 AM

8,149 posts, read 8,348,424 times
We had our flooring refinished and scraped. Did it in a medium/dark stain. It looked fabulous and we sold the house easily in a buyers’ market many years ago. Again, that was in a buyers’ market. In most areas these days, its a sellers market and probably not necessary.

Old 08-22-2021, 01:25 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
Walking

I say do nothing. Wait for a potential buyer asking for it to be done then negotiate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate