Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2021, 11:51 AM

131 posts, read 197,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger84Ag View Post
I am glad I am not your neighbor. Life is too short too start fighting day one. I actually feel sorry for your neighbor, what if it was done in error. Forcing him to destroy an addition seems pretty cruel. Just my opinion, but glad you don’t live near me. Your starting out the wrong way …going to make your neighbors watch you and don’t be surprised if every violation gets turned in.
Who’s started fighting? I haven’t, I’m merely exploring my private property rights in regard to this persons error. As someone stated earlier, the battle is between him and the HOA and the county. I don’t have any power to make him tear down anything. I do have a right to the same covenants and restrictions that everyone else in the neighborhood benefits from, which have been grossly violated, so I don’t see any harm in asking questions about that can be done.

To be clear, when we figured out how close they were, we said nothing. The HOA discovered it when they reviewed our plans which are required to note existing homes and their setbacks. They called us and said ‘hey is this correct?”. We said well yes the surveyor measured it, not us, so we assume it’s correct. Everything else that’s happened has been from them, not us.

Last edited by burbsgrrl; 08-19-2021 at 12:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2021, 01:50 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Or, the addition may have been put on without a building permit. This is not uncommon in many parts of the country. Building permits may be required nearly everywhere, but enforcing that law is often another matter.
And that's one of the reasons I asked if she had gone to the assessors office and accessed the information on that property.

Old 08-19-2021, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
And that's one of the reasons I asked if she had gone to the assessors office and accessed the information on that property.
Yes a permit was issued. No, I have not gone to the assessors office to see the paperwork and its not available online. In my view, this is part of the counties and HOA's job to do at this point, its part of their discovery process and will drive their decision making. And since I'm a six hour drive from there, its not easy for me to do.

Old 08-19-2021, 05:08 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,355,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burbsgrrl View Post
It was there when I bought the lot.
The time to investigate this was BEFORE you completed the purchase. You saw what it looked like, even saw a survey. You made the purchase.

Thinking you can make the neighbor tear down part of their house now is ridiculous. It's like me buying a red t-shirt and then complaining that it's red.

Old 08-19-2021, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
The time to investigate this was BEFORE you completed the purchase. You saw what it looked like, even saw a survey. You made the purchase.

Thinking you can make the neighbor tear down part of their house now is ridiculous. It's like me buying a red t-shirt and then complaining that it's red.
As I stated above, I’m merely exploring my private property rights in regard to this persons error. As someone stated earlier, the battle is between him and the HOA and the county. I don’t have any power to make him tear down anything. I do have a right to the same covenants and restrictions that everyone else in the neighborhood benefits from, which have been grossly violated, so I don’t see any harm in asking questions about that can be done.

Old 08-19-2021, 07:19 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,355,682 times
Quote:
As I stated above, I’m merely exploring my private property rights in regard to this persons error. As someone stated earlier, the battle is between him and the HOA and the county. I don’t have any power to make him tear down anything. I do have a right to the same covenants and restrictions that everyone else in the neighborhood benefits from, which have been grossly violated, so I don’t see any harm in asking questions about that can be done.
The point is that you KNEW what existed prior to the purchase. Nothing can be done.

Old 08-19-2021, 09:13 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
Quote:
Nothing wrong with exploring, but you also made an error. You didn’t do your due diligence before buying the property.

Old 08-19-2021, 11:52 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
I don't think you have any rights off paper that will manifest in real life. Assume everyone will say "oops! sorry!" and move on.

Old 08-20-2021, 07:23 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,387,456 times
The cost to litigate something like this for the HOA is usually prohibitive, based on my experience of being on HOA boards for nearly two decades. Maybe there's a way to get something recorded against the deed but I'm not sure what that would accomplish - it wouldn't change anything as far as the structure is concerned.

This stuff gets by HOAs on a regular basis unless a neighbor reports it. Even then, by the time the HOA reacts it can be "game over".

RM

Old 08-20-2021, 07:29 AM

1,066 posts, read 767,560 times
In Salt Lake City, Utah, this happened:
Irritated Utah Neighbor Flips the Bird in a major way . . . | at the Funny Farm

also, Snopes confirmed it:
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/glove-thy-neighbor/

++++++++++

I'd sell and look for another better lot. Things like this happen for a reason. Consider this situation from two perspectives, 1. the HOA doesn't enforce its own rules and; 2. if the future neighbor is already giving you crap during the approval process, what else can happen?

Third case scenario, plant some trees on that side and hope for the best going forward if you are set on that view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate