Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2021, 04:53 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,546,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
My son and his wife are getting a divorce and he is buying out her share in the house. The house is mortgage free. The house needs a lot of maintenance items and cosmetic issues, too…. Worn carpeting, other stuff. It has an in-ground swimming pool that is sinking into the soil and the retaining wall needs support. The home is built on a hillside. And, unusual to homes in the area, his house has a port a cache in the front of the house but no garage. Homes in the area sell for +/- $400K. Their house is kind of a California Tahoe style house; not typical of the style found in their DFW area neighborhood.

My DIL is resisting splitting the cost of getting the house appraised and wants to just have a realtor give them a market price estimate. My son is firm on his stand they need a professional appraisal. Since its such a unique property for the area, do you think a single appraisal is enough?
They should each have an appraisal done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2021, 07:03 AM

781 posts, read 744,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
LOL. Yeah, and sometimes a person spends a dollar on a lottery ticket and it pays off several million dollars... but this doesn't happen often and is certainly not the norm.
But, I had family selling their home last fall (in another state), when the market was super hot. They met with a couple of realtors before listing.. One gave a listing price that was far too low, so they went with a different realtor. House went to contract the day after going on MLS and sold for over list. My two cents, not all realtors are knowledgeable.

Old 08-20-2021, 08:11 AM

4,029 posts, read 3,640,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
I’d get one appraisal and if either of them doesn’t like the results, the unhappy party can pay for a second and then they’ll use the average of the two as the price.

Imagine finding the appraisal too low and then paying for another and it comes in lower....

Old 08-20-2021, 09:03 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,908,150 times
Son pays for his own appraisal.

DIL gets a market evaluation from a realtor.

If they can't reach a compromise it gets argued before a judge while the lawyers happily fatten their bank accounts.

People get awfully stupid during a divorce.

Old 08-20-2021, 09:56 AM

8,151 posts, read 8,354,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Son pays for his own appraisal.

DIL gets a market evaluation from a realtor.

If they can't reach a compromise it gets argued before a judge while the lawyers happily fatten their bank accounts.

People get awfully stupid during a divorce.
They are using a mediator. Their agreement is to bring the house value and his amount of payment to her to the mediator who will draw up the final divorce documents. They have been separated quite some time and have settled all other property and child custody (he has custody; she has taken all negotiated possessions and furnishings) issues. This is just the last detail as far as coming up with a value on their house so she can be paid her part and buy another house for herself (and her SO.). My son is eager to wrap things up and is not asking for child support. Its a long marriage with a long history of trying to rehab his wife; she’s an alcoholic and is a serious potential liability as far as driving and health issues.

Last edited by WorldKlas; 08-20-2021 at 10:06 AM..

Old 08-20-2021, 12:17 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,908,150 times
Quote:
is not asking for child support.
That was foolish. He could have used that as a bargaining chip for how much he pays her on the house.

Maybe he still can.

Or if they want to avoid more grief they can take an average value from the real estate sites and adjust for the repairs.

One more thing. He should have, by now, had a contractor write up what all the repairs would cost.

Or, he can just roll over and do it her way.

Old 08-20-2021, 05:33 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,062,291 times
Quote:
That was foolish. He could have used that as a bargaining chip for how much he pays her on the house.

Maybe he still can.

Or if they want to avoid more grief they can take an average value from the real estate sites and adjust for the repairs.

One more thing. He should have, by now, had a contractor write up what all the repairs would cost.

It seems it was a pretty toxic relationship and often, the best way to get out is not worry about certain issues such as child support that will continue to drive contact between the two parties. Often, the best way is to take what you can get and be done with it. Not everything in life is worth maximizing a return. I gave up a lot during my divorce years ago and you know what? It was worth every.single.penny.

OP: good luck to your son. It sounds like it’s been as bad as it can get for your family.

Old 08-21-2021, 04:18 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
My son and his wife are getting a divorce and he is buying out her share in the house.
Yes. A pro appraisal (split the cost) is absolutely warranted.
Even in perfect shape.

Quote:
My DIL is resisting splitting the cost ...
Insist. No compromise.

Old 08-21-2021, 07:34 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,467 times
An appraisal will give market value, but appraisers are not trained construction or engineers. They will be comparing your house to other recent sales with similar styles and square footage. They will not look carefully at any potential structural issues like retaining walls. I would recommend you get the pool and retaining wall issues settled separately, progr to determining value.

Old 08-21-2021, 09:29 AM

8,151 posts, read 8,354,049 times
Quote:

Maybe he still can.

Thanks much for the idea to go ahead and get an estimate on the costs for the pool and retaining wall structural issues. I have texted him with your thoughts. Really appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate