Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2022, 12:19 PM

1,559 posts, read 2,400,832 times

Advertisements

I know it's a very subjective thing but just curious what physical features or details in a house you instantly don't like? My dislikes are probably not common but they are vinyl plank flooring, totally open kitchens, stockade privacy fencing, low ceilings in living area, no entryway or entry hall into main living area, two story houses next door. Yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2022, 12:29 PM

14,497 posts, read 12,141,672 times
I love trying to find homes for buyers like this Especially in a market where we're lucky to have 3 homes total on the market in their price range.

Seriously - I love it when I find them just the right place after a year and a half.

Course I love it even better when six months into it, they fall in love with a house that has ALL these things in it, and wonder why I didn't send it.

Why do I love it? Because people are nothing if not funny. Always a challenge.

Old 02-06-2022, 12:48 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,169,462 times
White kitchen cabinets - I don't like them! I prefer wood. And i hate homes with toilets NOT behind a door in the master bath.

Last edited by beezle1; 02-06-2022 at 12:57 PM..

Old 02-06-2022, 12:49 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I love trying to find homes for buyers like this Especially in a market where we're lucky to have 3 homes total on the market in their price range.

Seriously - I love it when I find them just the right place after a year and a half.

Course I love it even better when six months into it, they fall in love with a house that has ALL these things in it, and wonder why I didn't send it.

Why do I love it? Because people are nothing if not funny. Always a challenge.
You forgot to add "I love it when their budget is $200K too low"

Old 02-06-2022, 12:56 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,358,184 times
Not selling or buying anytime soon, but features I dislike include: tile floors in any room except a bathroom, white or painted cabinets, anything gray, barn doors, ship lap walls or ceilings, no bathtub in a secondary bath, and no closet near the main entrance. I'm sure there are more.

I'll also add my dislike of tile floors is definitely influenced by my location in the Midwest. Tile "might" be okay in Florida or the Southwest as long as it's not the wood look tile.

Old 02-06-2022, 01:30 PM

23,320 posts, read 18,890,074 times
There may be features I don't immediately like in a house but I'm also pretty good at separating the easily-changed cosmetic things from the true dealbreakers that can't be...like location, what's adjacent to it, maybe how the house sits on its property. Almost everything else can be changed including square footage and maybe architectural style of the building, internal features, layout, etc.

Vinyl floors? White cabinets? Grey walls? PFFFT! Money and a few hours work! OK, I don't like tiny windows or low ceilings...I'm tall

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-06-2022 at 01:41 PM..

Old 02-06-2022, 01:37 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,758,164 times
What I do not like could be a long list but I will list some things I must have:

1. Master bath off master bedroom.
Separate shower and garden tub.
Private toilet room.
Two vanity sinks.

2. Large walk in closet off master bedroom.

3. Two car or larger garage.

4. On story. No stairs.

5. 3 bedrooms with one used as an office.

6. Wide open design.

7. Plenty of windows. I like bright and airy.

Old 02-06-2022, 04:52 PM

3,975 posts, read 4,264,938 times
In-ground swimming pool is a deal-killer for us. We want nothing to do with pools. Too much maintenance and they can only be used a few months a year in NJ. I suppose with a heater they could be used a little longer.

Open floor plans also are a turn-off. We need to be able to keep the kitties out of the kitchen, especially when we are cooking.

Old 02-06-2022, 05:08 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,948,637 times
- lack of a foyer;
- stairs facing front door (although I opt for one level house);
- wall facing front door (prob an easy fix);
- any step down/up anywhere inside the living areas;
- 1 bath;
- cul de sac;
- corner house;
- east/west orientation;
- lack of garage;
- small windows;

Old 02-06-2022, 05:22 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,463,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
...And i hate homes with toilets NOT behind a door in the master bath.
I am your opposite. I despise the cramped little closets that have nothing in them except a toilet or even those with a toilet and a tiny wall-hung sink. I want a full vanity with self-closing drawers and shelves right near me. After all, it is a throne, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate