Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2022, 02:08 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times

Advertisements

My tenants are lagging behind fair marker rent because rents have skyrocketed and I don't want to lose my good tenants. But they are getting their rents raised by the rate of inflation every year.

One thing to keep in mind is that both federal and local governments have been giving tenants a lot of free rent since covid started and there is a very real possibility of rent control being out into effect, either locally or nationally. It would be a sad thing to be stuck forever at half the market rate because you were too nice to raise rent on your tenants and then the government decided that whatever your rent is, it can't be raised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2022, 02:37 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,418,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
My tenants are lagging behind fair marker rent because rents have skyrocketed and I don't want to lose my good tenants. But they are getting their rents raised by the rate of inflation every year.

One thing to keep in mind is that both federal and local governments have been giving tenants a lot of free rent since covid started and there is a very real possibility of rent control being out into effect, either locally or nationally. It would be a sad thing to be stuck forever at half the market rate because you were too nice to raise rent on your tenants and then the government decided that whatever your rent is, it can't be raised.
Valid points...and I might add, there is obviously a downside to having 10 or 20 year tenants, in case you haven't figured it out. You could also be holding down the local values..the investors and buyers want to see yields, and not stories about your personal relationship with lifelong charity cases.

Old 03-18-2022, 08:41 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,980,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Interesting honesty you have there.

Bleed them poor.

Wait til you get bled upon.

Then you'll understand that the greatest asset besides the real estate is the responsible tenent.

I was a landlord and had some business ethics of not screwing people over. This included raising prices. My mortgage payment was consistent . It wasn't raised . Why fleece a good tenent. Simply because you can?
I'm in it 100% for the MONEY! We don't have to worry about responsible tenants as our vetting process ensures we have them from the start. Maybe in the world of traditional rentals turnover and responsible tenants are a concern, but when you're operating in the luxury high rise arena in the hottest markets, it's nothing personal against the tenants, it's just business.

Old 03-19-2022, 09:45 AM

30,628 posts, read 18,209,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
I'm in it 100% for the MONEY! We don't have to worry about responsible tenants as our vetting process ensures we have them from the start. Maybe in the world of traditional rentals turnover and responsible tenants are a concern, but when you're operating in the luxury high rise arena in the hottest markets, it's nothing personal against the tenants, it's just business.
I do agree that the kind of rental (e.g. geared towards people of different income levels) can and does play a role, but even that's not foolproof and even wealthier tenants can cause headaches, trouble, and financial loss. This includes tenants who screened favorably. Still, I'd be more willing to have your attitude in such a luxury market than if I was renting to lower-income tenants, as the risk of you getting such a hellish tenant probably goes down by a lot in my experience.

And even in the hottest markets, certain increases can cause a tenant to pack up and leave for elsewhere, which would likely mean some period without getting rent as you get the apartment ready in between moves. That said, I'll reiterate that this may be a risk worth taking for many in such markets.

Old 03-19-2022, 10:42 AM

It's the federal government who has brought us this high inflation and some local governments have contributed to the housing shortage. It is not the responsibility of the landlord to rectify the government mishandling of the economy by taking money out of his own pocket in order to provide for lower income people.

The landlord is already paying some expenses for lower income people with his various income taxes and his local property taxes.

How many of those lower income workers are turning down pay raises because they don't want to be perceived as greedy? When everyone else is getting $15 an hour, you stay at $10 an hour? No? That rent is the landlord's paycheck, or at least what is left of it after all the expenses are paid.

My property taxes went up this year and the insurance went up about 30%, The repair costs have doubled. My handyman is not charging $80 an hour to do repairs. Sorry, tenants, you don't get to have all of that for free. Rent goes up to cover it.

Old 03-19-2022, 11:58 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,956,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I am in California so there's already a state wide rent control in place. It limits an annual increase to 5% + CPI, so technically I could increase it by 12% this year. But the PM recommended a 5% increase and I agreed for several reasons that was brought up previously.

The most obvious one is if I have a tenant turnover I'd loss a month rent, that's enough to wipe out the additional increase plus more.

Old 03-20-2022, 07:06 AM

2 posts, read 550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I am in California so there's already a state wide rent control in place. It limits an annual increase to 5% + CPI, so technically I could increase it by 12% this year. But the PM recommended a 5% increase and I agreed for several reasons that was brought up previously.

The most obvious one is if I have a tenant turnover I'd loss a month rent, that's enough to wipe out the additional increase plus more.
The rent control law that you refer to has 10% overall limit https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...01920200AB1482

Not that it matters to your situation but I think it is important for everyone to understand the limits.

Also, there are several exceptions intended to not have the mom and pop landlords caught up in this.

Old 03-20-2022, 11:22 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,956,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YagoFulano View Post
The rent control law that you refer to has 10% overall limit
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...01920200AB1482

Not that it matters to your situation but I think it is important for everyone to understand the limits.

Also, there are several exceptions intended to not have the mom and pop landlords caught up in this.
Thank you for the update and congratulation on your first post!

Old 03-20-2022, 12:20 PM

Quote:

And a landlord there could rise rent 5% every year or they could leave the rent the same for 15 years in a row for a good tenant and then when he moves out, they could raise rent 5% and be 60% under fair market rent for the next tenant.

Many landlords leave rent at pretty much the rate rented for but then between tenants they raise rent to fair market rent and the new tenant starts from there. You can't do that in California and other states with rent control.

It is better in the long run to keep up with market rates as a yearly and gradual process when living in a rent control state. The worry here is that the entire country might be turned into a rent control state and that has to be watched out for.

(and yes, I am taking my chances and not raising my own good tenants to full market rate, but they are getting an increase at the official rate of inflation)

Old 03-21-2022, 01:57 PM

249 posts, read 165,614 times
Quote:
Thank you for the update and congratulation on your first post!

Properties that are exempt from rent control
In general, California rent increase law is aimed at multi-family apartment complexes and provides a number of exemptions, including the following:

SFRs (single family residences)
Condominiums
Owner-occupied duplexes
Mobile homes
School, college, and university dormitories
Hotels
Rental properties built within 15 years prior to the Act, including ADUs (accessory dwelling units)
Properties that are not owned by a corporation, REIT (real estate investment trust) or LLC where one member is a corporation
Property provided by non-profit organizations
Property that is subject to pre-existing local ordinances
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate