Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2022, 09:59 PM

1,579 posts, read 961,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Updated in grey. Add in the expense of tearing that all out and making it tasteful again!

I just don't get the gray phenomena. I never did. It's just so cold and industrial. It might work in a modern house, but the houses in my neighborhood are colonial style. It just... clashes with the exterior. And I am saying this as a woman who really has no sense of style. haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2022, 05:04 AM

22,150 posts, read 13,187,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingLiberty1919D View Post
I just don't get the gray phenomena. I never did. It's just so cold and industrial. It might work in a modern house, but the houses in my neighborhood are colonial style. It just... clashes with the exterior. And I am saying this as a woman who really has no sense of style. haha
How I hate it! Cold steel grey walls, silver stainless appliances, fake plastic "whitewashed" flooring. Fine, as you say, in a modern building with black furniture, but mine happens to be brown wood and doesn't go with it. Bleh! Do flippers get a discount on materials for this color scheme or something?

Old 05-26-2022, 03:39 PM

42,885 posts, read 26,470,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
How I hate it! Cold steel grey walls, silver stainless appliances, fake plastic "whitewashed" flooring. Fine, as you say, in a modern building with black furniture, but mine happens to be brown wood and doesn't go with it. Bleh! Do flippers get a discount on materials for this color scheme or something?
My guess is that it's the cheapest crap they can find, but they really neuter lovely period homes. There are a lot of mid century modern homes here and the flippers plaster over the open beam ceilings, put grey fake wood over beautiful hardwood, or in some cases cover up polished concrete floors. Even worse is what they do to Craftsman homes, they rip out all the beautiful wood built-ins and cupboards & tear out the hardwood floors and replace the beautiful wood frame windows with plastic trimmed sliders. It should be against the law.

Old 05-27-2022, 08:28 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,296,786 times
Regardless, "there's never been a better time to buy a home".

Old 05-27-2022, 08:42 AM

514 posts, read 441,787 times
Not sure if that's a tongue-in-cheek remark or a suggestion in good faith. Seriously asking! Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
Regardless, "there's never been a better time to buy a home".

Old 05-27-2022, 08:45 AM

10,132 posts, read 6,503,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
My guess is that it's the cheapest crap they can find, but they really neuter lovely period homes. There are a lot of mid century modern homes here and the flippers plaster over the open beam ceilings, put grey fake wood over beautiful hardwood, or in some cases cover up polished concrete floors. Even worse is what they do to Craftsman homes, they rip out all the beautiful wood built-ins and cupboards & tear out the hardwood floors and replace the beautiful wood frame windows with plastic trimmed sliders. It should be against the law.
I agree. I'm a real estate junkie and look at the home listings daily, even though I'm (hopefully) never moving again. As soon as I see a solid older home that has gray walls and gray LVP or laminate floors, I'm immediately turned off by the listing. It's deplorable to see the charm of real wood floors and trim replaced to appeal to FTHB who are impressed by HGTV "influencers".

Old 06-01-2022, 03:02 PM

9,370 posts, read 14,210,329 times
I don’t mind seeing houses of any age with gray interiors, even if it doesn’t suit the era. At least I can move my own furniture in and not have everything clash severely. Then, over time, I can select the exact new color to paint each room.

Of course, there are so many shades of gray that the one in the new to you house might clash a little anyway. Bluish gray. Greenish gray. Taupish gray. Grey with a drop of red. But at least you aren’t mixing purple and green fabric with apricot walls while you get settled.

But please don’t paint over good condition natural wood. Or put down hard to remove flooring on top of something that is okay but you think is outdated.

Old 06-01-2022, 03:11 PM

22,150 posts, read 13,187,791 times
I would never move my furniture in to a house where I'll HAVE to replace the flooring because it's that hideous plastic "whitewashed" crap. But then, I'd have to be desperate to even buy such a house in the first place.

Old 06-02-2022, 02:52 AM

24,575 posts, read 18,407,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingLiberty1919D View Post
Just to follow up, the other house in my neighborhood that was up for sale the same time as mine is not closed. It sold for $22K over asking ($16K more than mine). It is also 400 sq feet bigger than mine, has a deck, backs to trees, and is updated (all in gray, but still).

But these two houses (and mine) went under contract a month ago.

I’m now watching houses that went up for sale two weeks ago. Still listed.
This is a ridiculous statement. Before COVID-19, the average time on market was between 60 and 90 days. If something is priced at current market rate and doesn’t have something wrong with it, there’s no point in pressing the panic button if it isn’t under contract in 14 days. Anything less than 60 days is still a very hot market.

Old 06-02-2022, 03:45 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,969,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
This is a ridiculous statement. Before COVID-19, the average time on market was between 60 and 90 days. If something is priced at current market rate and doesn’t have something wrong with it, there’s no point in pressing the panic button if it isn’t under contract in 14 days. Anything less than 60 days is still a very hot market.

Point is it’s cooling. Lots of negative economic factors on the horizon that could quickly lead to a big bubble burst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate