Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2022, 10:02 PM

5,985 posts, read 7,464,821 times

Advertisements

A couple of things:

As raw (undeveloped) land, the assessed/appraised value is likely minimal. As others have stated, most jurisdictions don't re-assess until a CoO is issued.

If, by some bizarre chance, your taxing authority decided to appraise or re-assess in the midst of your construction, they can hardly increase the value based on the presence of unfinished construction, as it in and of itself has no value. At least I can't see how they could, as it would be their responsibility to show that the property has (higher) value even though it is still "unimproved".

As for fighting this, since your tax bill won't be due for a while, I would look into the deadline for challenging an assessment and see if you have time to do it for this year's tax bill after you get a CoO. If so, the assessment may be moot.

Second, if you do decide to challenge the assessment, do your due diligence and find as many comps as you can, especially focusing things like square footage and lot size, as these are some of the primary benchmarks they'll use. There are others, but things like number of rooms, bathrooms, basement, total living space, etc., and the places to start.

Can a challenge fail and end up costing you more? Not that I'm aware of. The appraiser or assessor has already established value at this point, they can't turn around and suddenly jack up the assessment because you ended up showing your house is worth more. They work off of very clearly defined criteria, but they do make mistakes - especially if they're using a third party to do the data collection.

This happened to me once when a appraisal company the city hired to appraised homes totally botched the job. The only way you could challenge was if you allowed them into your home for the appraisal. We checked the box saying they could inspect the house, but they chose not to and just did a drive-by.

We ended up with an additional 400 square feet and a couple more rooms according to their appraisal. Of course our assessment was way over what it should have been, but when we challenged there was no dispute by the taxing authority.

I would add that we were #3 in the line of over 150 challenges, and by the time the assessor got to number 10 or 12 they shut the proceedings down and moved to fire the appraisal company and redo the assessment...

RM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2022, 12:14 PM

9,205 posts, read 6,388,026 times
Properties are reassessed when title changes in many locations. Especially in FL where the seller probably had a very low assessment due to the SOH limitations.

Property is reassessed to market upon title change.

Also, the property may have been classified as empty lot with no improvements. When building stated, the classification may have changed to building lot with improvements.

Old 04-07-2022, 08:18 AM

1,516 posts, read 830,842 times
About 20 years I complained to our city appraiser about my appraisal, he said to me "would you sell it for that"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate