Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2022, 10:09 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,353,588 times

Advertisements

We are building and construction commenced around the first of the year. According to our letter, our "lot" was appraised for almost 100x it's previous value at the first of January.

So my questoin is this: could a protest potentially make the appraisal more (could they recalc and say ah you're right the appraisal is actually more)... as construction has progressed a lot... or would that continue with how it was at the start of the year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2022, 11:04 AM

6,546 posts, read 10,500,620 times
Was the lot appraised before or after construction was started? Are you attempting to sell the lot? Is construction currently ongoing? If construction is ongoing, it is not likely to get a re-appraisal until it is finished. Need more information to offer advice.

Old 03-30-2022, 02:21 PM

2,068 posts, read 4,353,588 times
Construction is ongoing.
At the time of the appraisal we may have had the foundation set.

Old 03-30-2022, 02:34 PM

34,253 posts, read 83,508,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
We are building and construction commenced around the first of the year. According to our letter, our "lot" was appraised for almost 100x it's previous value at the first of January.
check the math again

Old 03-30-2022, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
check the math again
I agree. I suggest that the OP contact their local taxing authority (city or county) if they think they were unfairly assessed. Nobody on this site can say with any certainty.

Old 03-30-2022, 03:30 PM

6,868 posts, read 11,671,687 times
Every jurisdiction does it differently, but around here, the property doesn’t get reassessed until a certificate of occupancy is issued. Until then, it’s just a vacant lot.

Old 03-30-2022, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Every jurisdiction does it differently, but around here, the property doesn’t get reassessed until a certificate of occupancy is issued. Until then, it’s just a vacant lot.
Same in my area of Florida. Obviously, it is not uniform nationwide.

Although, if a vacant lot is purchased at let's say $20,000 and the prior owner paid $5,000 originally but was still paying tax on the originally value, the new owner pays the new value determined by the taxing authority. The local property appraiser's office can clarify for the OP. I am certain there is more information that the OP hasn't factored and/or was not properly informed by someone who should have done so. We can only speculate, the OP will have to do more homework on this.

OP, please keep the community updated about any changes in the assessed value or information you received.

Old 03-30-2022, 05:44 PM

3,161 posts, read 2,127,074 times
I questioned our taxes/appraisal in SW Florida and got our taxes lowered about 10 years ago.
All I did was go online and find homes like ours in size, year built, amenities and what they were paying in taxes. When the appraiser showed up I gave him my list of properties. Done. Saved $500 a year going forward.

The number of people who do this is very low so it's not like they're afraid all hell will break loose because of one person.

Several years later the county announced a potential tax increase and held public hearings in August when only local people were in town (beastly hot weather) in hopes that no one would show up. They had to move to a larger hall because hundreds and hundreds showed up even though they broke up each area of the county into smaller groups. Sheriffs got called in by county admins to keep peace but there was no need for them, no disturbances at all, just talk.

It was democracy in action and exciting to listen to people speak against increasing taxes. Taxes were raised only minimally and the projects they wanted were scaled back quite a bit.

Old 04-04-2022, 10:31 AM

22,182 posts, read 9,752,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post

So my questoin is this: could a protest potentially make the appraisal more (could they recalc and say ah you're right the appraisal is actually more)... as construction has progressed a lot... or would that continue with how it was at the start of the year?
It think what you are asking is, if you appeal it, can it go up as a result. Based on what you said, which was not much, I don't think so. I would appeal it. There is no way a foundation would cause a land value to increase by 100x.

Old 04-04-2022, 03:05 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,024,071 times
Gotta go in and fight it... I did it last year for a duplex that they said went up 75k in 2 months..... they wouldnt budge for the first protest....second time around they lowered it to my purchase price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate