Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2022, 09:53 AM

6,500 posts, read 10,411,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I was born in Florida, a hurricane state. LOL Yet, I've never seen a tornado with my own eyes
Just about 2 weeks ago we had a tornado come through my town and caused a lot of destruction, fortunately no serious injuries. No hurricane, just unfortunate weather conditions. The tornado touched down about 1/2 mile from my house, but my neighborhood missed the damage. I didn't see the tornado, but the damage was very evident and several folks had to find temporary housing following the event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2022, 11:04 AM

6,840 posts, read 11,600,381 times
I’m a former Oklahoman. No way would I voluntarily live in Moore. There are other areas around Oklahoma City that tend to attract funnel clouds, even if they don’t touch down as tornadoes. So there’s some truth that they tend to seek the same path time after time.

Old 04-01-2022, 11:15 AM

13,724 posts, read 12,502,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
You live in NC but are thinking of buying in OK or MO? Will you be moving there?

Personally, you wouldn't catch me living in any of those tornado states. No thank you.
Eh, the thing about them is that they're highly localized. I'd sooner deal with that risk than that of a Hurricane, and hurricanes wouldn't really scare me away either.

Old 04-01-2022, 04:34 PM

2,874 posts, read 2,072,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I live in a tornado state. (Missouri) I have LOTS of relatives all over Oklahoma, another tornado state. I was born in Florida, a hurricane state. LOL Yet, I've never seen a tornado with my own eyes, and no one I know has ever been hurt by a tornado.

My parents, however, DID have to have a roof replaced, due to tornado damage. A lot of people did that year. lol
My little hometown was destroyed by a tornado in 1973. Our little home, that my father built wasn’t damaged since it went just to the northwest of us.

Last year, another tornado went over it. They, the people who purchased it from us after my parents passed, lost every tall pine tree on the property. Most were snapped off about 10 ft off the ground. Again, the house survived mainly intact only suffering damage where a tree glanced off of it and to a portion that was added to the house.

We moved back to the same state last year, 120 miles from the old hometown. There is a tornado map that shows every tornado since 1952 or so. The land where we built has never had a tornado since records began. The optimist says the land is protected by some geographical quirk. The pessimist says we’re about due.

We just had about 200 tall pines removed from our land including those closest to the house and, by removing every other tree. That’ll reduce the risk of a tree falling o the house significantly. Our master closet is fully blocked as a safe room. The house is full brick too. It won’t survive a direct hit by an F2 plus but, we should be good with one that’s hand granade close. Do I worry about it? Not really. We’re taken the right steps to reduce our risk.

You see that long, thick red line through the middle of Alabama? That was the path of the 1973 tornado.

Old 04-01-2022, 11:15 PM

4,233 posts, read 4,487,888 times
As long as you can get the utility infrastructure to hook up to and the rest of town is rebuilding and the municipal code allows this type of construction.

https://www.monolithic.org/homes

Obviously there would have be other considerations that would draw me to such an area rather than looking solely to "buy distressed" due to natural disaster. Regional culture / climate / growing season / basic healthcare / overall quality of life issues of importance etc...

Old 04-02-2022, 12:21 AM

19,031 posts, read 14,263,629 times
Precast Concrete walls should do nicely - - - as this video shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm-dFyh2C98

Old 04-03-2022, 11:39 AM

8,742 posts, read 13,003,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Does lightning strike twice in the same spot?
Tornado has a history of repeating the same path.

When I lived in N. Alabama, EF-5 tornados hit a same neighborhood twice in the course of 5 years.

Tornado has a concentrated path so you may see one street homes destroyed but the next block the homes were virtually untouched.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate