Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2022, 02:48 PM

2 posts, read 1,185 times

Advertisements

This is assuming you have proper time to rebuild.
ik you would have brand new infrastructure in that specific area, but would there be any more drawbacks/benefits? like would houses be cheaper? im very curious and would like to know! (please lmk if this is inconsiderate)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2022, 03:45 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,795,746 times
What is a tornado scar?

Old 03-31-2022, 04:17 PM

2 posts, read 1,185 times
an area that has had a powerful tornado run over it, if you open up google maps on satellite and look at places like Moore Oklahoma or Joplin, MO, you can see an area that has like, less vegetation? idrk how to describe it but you can tell when you look.

Old 03-31-2022, 04:45 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,353,101 times
Does lightning strike twice in the same spot?

Old 03-31-2022, 05:24 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,417,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Does lightning strike twice in the same spot?
Yes, it very certainly can. The same would hold true for tornadoes.

Old 03-31-2022, 09:40 PM

23,869 posts, read 33,575,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeludedMadMan View Post
This is assuming you have proper time to rebuild.
ik you would have brand new infrastructure in that specific area, but would there be any more drawbacks/benefits? like would houses be cheaper? im very curious and would like to know! (please lmk if this is inconsiderate)

You live in NC but are thinking of buying in OK or MO? Will you be moving there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeludedMadMan View Post
an area that has had a powerful tornado run over it, if you open up google maps on satellite and look at places like Moore Oklahoma or Joplin, MO, you can see an area that has like, less vegetation? idrk how to describe it but you can tell when you look.

Personally, you wouldn't catch me living in any of those tornado states. No thank you.

Old 04-01-2022, 07:37 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
You live in NC but are thinking of buying in OK or MO? Will you be moving there?

Personally, you wouldn't catch me living in any of those tornado states. No thank you.
I agree, same with hurricanes. Even with great insurance, your deductible is typically 5%. On a $500k home that's $25,000 out-of-pocket. That's in addition to the inconvenience, having to replace all of your belongings, and possible injury or death. No place is 100% safe from mother nature, but at least here our earthquakes are rare and where I live is on solid bedrock. Our earthquake insurance has a 10% deductible, but in 29 years here we have only felt one, with damage only in Seattle 23 miles away.

Old 04-01-2022, 08:30 AM

6,811 posts, read 4,250,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I agree, same with hurricanes. Even with great insurance, your deductible is typically 5%. On a $500k home that's $25,000 out-of-pocket. That's in addition to the inconvenience, having to replace all of your belongings, and possible injury or death. No place is 100% safe from mother nature, but at least here our earthquakes are rare and where I live is on solid bedrock. Our earthquake insurance has a 10% deductible, but in 29 years here we have only felt one, with damage only in Seattle 23 miles away.
Pretty much all states get tornadoes. The only thing that differs is the rate at which they get them. In fact weren't there tornado warnings in the Seattle area just this past fall?

But the chance of your property getting destroyed by a tornado is exceedingly slim even in 'tornado states'. There's IMO really only two areas where it should enter your line of thinking at all - central OK and central/north-central MS/AL ("Dixie Alley") and even there there's many thousands of homes that have never been in the path of tornadoes.

Old 04-01-2022, 08:34 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,158,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post

I live in a tornado state. (Missouri) I have LOTS of relatives all over Oklahoma, another tornado state. I was born in Florida, a hurricane state. LOL Yet, I've never seen a tornado with my own eyes, and no one I know has ever been hurt by a tornado.

My parents, however, DID have to have a roof replaced, due to tornado damage. A lot of people did that year. lol

Old 04-01-2022, 09:05 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Pretty much all states get tornadoes. The only thing that differs is the rate at which they get them. In fact weren't there tornado warnings in the Seattle area just this past fall?

But the chance of your property getting destroyed by a tornado is exceedingly slim even in 'tornado states'. There's IMO really only two areas where it should enter your line of thinking at all - central OK and central/north-central MS/AL ("Dixie Alley") and even there there's many thousands of homes that have never been in the path of tornadoes.
We get 1-2/year in our state, but very short duration and little damage, if any. The last destructive one that caused injuries was 1972, a category 3 at the Vancouver WA/Portland Oregon border, lasting 6 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate