Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2022, 06:43 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,301,849 times

Advertisements

I would think seller already investigated, in order to maximize asking price, right?

What can be inferred by such a disclosure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2022, 06:48 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,090,641 times
Very typical for vacant land. It means it is up to buyer to investigate to confirm that what THEY want to do is feasible. And even that may only be preliminary.

No, sellers are not necessarily going to go through environmental and permitting studies. They don't know what buyer will want to do.

Old 07-17-2022, 06:51 PM

6,471 posts, read 10,338,139 times
Are you referring to raw land ? Hard to offer an answer without knowing what you are asking.

Old 07-17-2022, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Are you referring to raw land ? Hard to offer an answer without knowing what you are asking.
Looks like undeveloped land but next to a patch of very high end houses. If I remember correctly the town is known for anti-development and wants to keep the place very rural.

Old 07-17-2022, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Very typical for vacant land. It means it is up to buyer to investigate to confirm that what THEY want to do is feasible. And even that may only be preliminary.

No, sellers are not necessarily going to go through environmental and permitting studies. They don't know what buyer will want to do.
But logically, the difference between buildable and not-buildable would be at least 10X, maybe even 20X. If I am a seller, I sure will want to find out to see if I can fetch the higher price. Isn't that how every seller thinks?

Old 07-17-2022, 07:56 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,090,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
But logically, the difference between buildable and not-buildable would be at least 10X, maybe even 20X. If I am a seller, I sure will want to find out to see if I can fetch the higher price. Isn't that how every seller thinks?
They probably have an idea about whether it's buildable, but they're not going to guarantee it. Even if they think they know, they can't predict what the county will decide about any particular design plan. You have made a statement about the attitude of the county, which is hard to predict.

It may have wetlands, it may have zoning considerations, and a seller will have no idea whether the buyer wants to put in house or an apartment building.

Sellers around here, selling semi rural lots can get more for land if they invest in a well, run power and do a septic design. All well and good. That doesn't mean that meets buyer's plan and buyer would still need to do a feasibility review for their own information. If it's a large parcel, a buyer may wish to subdivide it.

The language doesn't mean anything nefarious Robert. If you're surprised by it, you haven't looked at very many vacant lots.

Old 07-17-2022, 08:00 PM

5,971 posts, read 3,715,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I would think seller already investigated, in order to maximize asking price, right?

What can be inferred by such a disclosure?
The seller can ask any price that he wants for his property. It's up to the buyer to determine if the property is worth that price for the buyer's intended use. The seller can't guarantee what some bureaucrat at the City or County office will approve or disapprove.

What I would infer from the warning is that the seller is being considerate in advising potential buyers to check out the zoning for their intended usage before buying the property. In addition to municipal zoning ordinances, there may be deed restrictions that apply. If deed restrictions do apply, the seller should furnish copies to potential buyers.

Old 07-17-2022, 08:01 PM

45,340 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
They probably have an idea about whether it's buildable, but they're not going to guarantee it. Even if they think they know, they can't predict what the county will decide about any particular design plan. You have made a statement about the attitude of the county, which is hard to predict.

It may have wetlands, it may have zoning considerations, and a seller will have no idea whether the buyer wants to put in house or an apartment building.

Sellers around here, selling semi rural lots can get more for land if they invest in a well, run power and do a septic design. All well and good. That doesn't mean that meets buyer's plan and buyer would still need to do a feasibility review for their own information. If it's a large parcel, a buyer may wish to subdivide it.

The language doesn't mean anything nefarious Robert. If you're surprised by it, you haven't looked at very many vacant lots.
You said what I was going to about well/septic. It also might have a strange zoning change from the adjoining property, the line between one house per two acres to one house per five acres has to be drawn somewhere.

Also, as you mentioned, lots with site prep fetch higher prices.

Old 07-17-2022, 09:29 PM

204 posts, read 128,123 times
Quote:

Yes, this has been our experience. It's on the buyer to find out, ideally before buying the land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook;63817343[B
]They probably have an idea about whether it's buildable[/b], but they're not going to guarantee it.
The seller most definitely has an idea, but there are no guarantees that the county will approve the necessary permits now.

We've looked into buying land to build in the mountains, and it has been quite educational. Prime lots (with a view and easier to build on) are rare finds now, so whenever you see land that's affordably priced, expect that you'll be paying $$$ to grade the lot and pour the foundation. Lots with views fetch more, but the buyer may still deal with high costs depending on the topography of the land. We were quoted between 150-200K just to clear one lot, grade it and pour the foundation; then of course, the cost of building the house on top of that. This lot already had an active septic permit, but has massive boulders all over. Btw, this was in an established community with underground power already in place. Before you can build, you have environmental issues that are part of surveying the land- well and soil (perc test), lidar scan to determine how much rock/boulders are underground, etc. In the end, there are no guarantees the county will approve the septic permit.

It's a lengthy and costly process, but as a buyer, you want to know what you're getting into before you purchase the land, that is if building a home is the end goal. Our realtor warned us about lots that had septic permits issued years ago, but were allowed to expire, and when the owner tried to renew, the new septic permit was denied.

Old 07-17-2022, 09:53 PM

I think I should add -- the seller priced it as if it is NOT buildable, because in SF area buildable lots go for 200K and up to over 1 mil. So if the seller prices it so low, can I infer that the property is not buildable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate