Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2023, 06:28 PM

6,072 posts, read 3,791,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Oh yeah, they notice. My garage door was open for about a week and a half because I tried to fix it, my nephew in law tried to fix it, and then it took several days before we could get somebody else to replace it the garage door opener. Not the garage door. Several people in my neighborhood wondered why I was leaving it up, or if it was broken. I told them it was totally broken. Well, technically, the repairman fixed the issue, but what he said was that doing what he did is absolutely going to cause a larger problem. And he said the magic words I can save you a bunch of money if you go to Home Depot pet and buy the one that’s on sale right now and I’ll put that in for 300 bucks. Sold!
Just an FYI: Usually, when there is a problem with the garage door opener not working properly, you can work it manually. All you have to do is pull on that short cord/rope (about 20" long) that is hanging down from near the top of the door and this will disengage the opener from the door.

Then, it's usually relatively easy to raise the door by simply pulling up on it with your hand. Most adults can do this, but if you need some help, just ask a neighbor to give you a hand. I would estimate that due to the spring's opening assistance (provided the spring isn't broken), it takes only about 30 to 40 pounds of lifting effort to raise the garage door once the opener is detached (by pulling the cord) from the door.

This is just an FYI in case you're home sometime and the power goes out. Of course, many newer garage door openers have a battery backup in case of power failure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2023, 09:25 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,301,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Just an FYI: Usually, when there is a problem with the garage door opener not working properly, you can work it manually. All you have to do is pull on that short cord/rope (about 20" long) that is hanging down from near the top of the door and this will disengage the opener from the door.

Then, it's usually relatively easy to raise the door by simply pulling up on it with your hand. Most adults can do this, but if you need some help, just ask a neighbor to give you a hand. I would estimate that due to the spring's opening assistance (provided the spring isn't broken), it takes only about 30 to 40 pounds of lifting effort to raise the garage door once the opener is detached (by pulling the cord) from the door.

This is just an FYI in case you're home sometime and the power goes out. Of course, many newer garage door openers have a battery backup in case of power failure.
I knew this. I’ve used it. April 1 we had a massive power outage in the area that lasted 37 hours. Trees down everywhere. In fact we had lines down. My phone was running out of power and I needed to charge it in my car so I went for a drive around the neighborhood and saw all the damage. I also watched people drive over the lines to get out. After about the seventh person drove over the line I figured it’s dead so I decided to do it too. I was hungry and wanted to go to a restaurant. Oh but you’re right absolutely everybody should know how to open the garage door with the red rope handle, and how to reattach it afterwards. Everybody should also have a flashlight or two, I know exactly where they are placed. I keep mine by my bed in my nightstand. My phone can give me enough light to find the flashlight. I am actually considering getting one of those whole house generators. The state of the trees around here are such that people appear to be just ignoring them when they’re 3/4 dead, and power outages are not uncommon.

In this case, however, the door opened with the opener, I left, pushed the button and the door didn’t close. I didn’t notice that it didn’t close. That was the end of that. It was a screw that was being used as a limiter that had worked its way out. The garage door opener was 24 years old and the repair guy said that we could nurse along a little but within two months it was going to be shot. He said the screw that was being used as a limiter was it a Jerry rig. I figured 24 years is a good go for something that’s supposed to last 10, so I took his advice and replaced it. I let him replace it because I don’t like messing with electricity and it took him two hours it would’ve taken me three days. Plus I don’t like ladders anymore. My nephew in law knows his limits, garage door openers are one of them.

Old 07-30-2023, 10:33 PM

844 posts, read 423,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
I beg to differ with your opinion. About 7 years ago when my wife and I were looking for a second home to escape the Florida heat during the summer, we drove extensively through a suburban neighborhood which had the type and price of homes that we were looking for. However, we were quickly turned off from considering that neighborhood for purchase because of the extensive number of cars, boats, trailers, and RV's parked not only on the driveways in front of the house but also on the grass in the front yard.

It was not at all uncommon to see 3 or 4 vehicles, boats, trailers, or whatever "decorating" the front yard. In some cases, it was obvious that the vehicle hadn't been moved in several weeks because the grass was a foot high around the vehicle.

If this is what you want your house and your neighbors' houses to look like, that's fine with me, but I'll choose something a bit cleaner and neater looking. If it takes some HOA rules and regulations to accomplish this, then so be it.
I can relate. When we were looking for a new home, the street/ neighborhood that full of cars on the street & driveways turned us off.

We ended purchased a house on a quiet street neighborhood with only one or two cars parked on the street on entire block. We had a 3 car garage but was only able to park one car inside because all the tools & gardening equipment. We didn't mind people park on their driveway as long as the street is clear.

Old 07-30-2023, 11:51 PM

740 posts, read 459,678 times
In California, most people do not park their cars in a garage. In fact, most people use it for storage. Cars are parked everywhere. That's why I am converting mine into an ADU to put it to better use.

Old 07-31-2023, 06:48 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,404,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post

So, I’m wondering how people feel about having neighbors who don’t use their garages when the homes are quite close to eachother.
Close living. Can't control your neighbors.

I have a neighbor that can't seem to put their trashcans away in their backyard. It takes them about two days. They often leave their kid's bike in their front lawn. Before their kid rode a bike, it was the stroller

Least they are quiet neighbors.

Old 07-31-2023, 07:58 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,687 posts, read 81,455,155 times
Here in Sammamish, WA where the median home price is $1.6 million, parking in the garage is very rare. We have 3 cars in our driveway plus a travel trailer on the side of the garage. Next door is a shared commute van and a mini-van in the driveway. Across the street, two cars and a boat. Drive down any street and there are additional cars parked along both sides, that don't fit in the driveways. There has been no effect on property values.

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.6216...8192?entry=ttu

Old 07-31-2023, 11:34 AM

2,525 posts, read 2,082,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefong123 View Post
In California, most people do not park their cars in a garage. In fact, most people use it for storage. Cars are parked everywhere. That's why I am converting mine into an ADU to put it to better use.
Ditto. My neighbor across the street has 4 cars, used to be 5 (he finally sold it) that they park in the driveway. One vehicle does sometimes get parked in the street in front of their house.

Or sometimes he parks his truck in front of my house on Saturdays.
I told him that's my watering day and to be gone by 5....he was still there at 7, so my sprinklers came on!

Old 07-31-2023, 11:54 AM

9,887 posts, read 14,166,766 times
We don't have a garage, so the two cars are parked in the driveway; albeit, behind the house. Growing up and as an adult, we've had garages perhaps in 90% of the places I've lived, and I never recall anyone parking a car in there.

I never knew that "being irritated by people parking in their driveways" was even a thing? But I am also someone who couldn't give a dam* about someone parking in front of my house, when it is a public street. Don't care at all, and I do realize that this is something that bothers a lot of people; but really can't wrap my head around why it is bothersome.

I do not like cars parked in grass, ever, whether in the front of back of the house.

Old 07-31-2023, 11:57 AM

5,982 posts, read 7,411,659 times
Three car garage, both cars are in it. What’s the point of having a garage to shelter your cars if you’re not going to park them in it?

RM

Old 07-31-2023, 12:03 PM

45,548 posts, read 60,783,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
We don't have a garage, so the two cars are parked in the driveway; albeit, behind the house. Growing up and as an adult, we've had garages perhaps in 90% of the places I've lived, and I never recall anyone parking a car in there.

I never knew that "being irritated by people parking in their driveways" was even a thing? But I am also someone who couldn't give a dam* about someone parking in front of my house, when it is a public street. Don't care at all, and I do realize that this is something that bothers a lot of people; but really can't wrap my head around why it is bothersome.

I do not like cars parked in grass, ever, whether in the front of back of the house.
When it really gets fun is when the residents live in a house on a 25 ft. wide lot and have three cars they wany to have reserved spaces for. What some do is put out orange cones in front of their neighbors which then becomes another problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate