Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2023, 06:27 AM

9,887 posts, read 14,159,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post

Maybe people should buy houses that fit their needs. I understand that things change but if you already have 3 cars maybe buy a place with a three or four car garage.
I did buy a house that fits my "needs". And it did not include a garage at all. My "needs" are different than what you may ascribe to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2023, 08:50 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,946,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I live in a 55+ community where people take great care of their homes. In general, homes are meticulously landscaped and some homes are on premium lots with great views. My home has a really good view, but DH and I are always looking for homes with even better views. We like buying and updating houses, and then selling after a few years.

There’s a house that is a new listing that has caught our attention. It needs serious updating and landscaping, as well as the house needs painting. While it is quite expensive for the work needed, we are considering it because we could probably sell our house for close to or more than the asking price of this property. It has the drop dead view we are seeking.

One thing, however, is that the nextdoor neighbor has two giant SUVs they park in their driveway, and also often on the street ~ curbsides on both sides of their driveway. These houses are close together. There is an HOA, but no rules about parking in garages, and the streets are public. I’m concerned that we’ll have trouble selling the house in the future if the same neighbors are there….they have lived there about 10 years. I think they are Uber drivers.

So, I’m wondering how people feel about having neighbors who don’t use their garages when the homes are quite close to eachother.
If it's bothering you now before you've gotten serious (defined as engaging Realtor or calling listing agent), it's going to continue to bother you. You'll be picking at this scab, may even move in, but at some point it will send you over the edge.

If you think you can just let it go (humming song now), I believe other posters are correct, time may solve your problem. But then, things can happen anytime, anywhere. Your current neighbors could leave and an even bigger problem move in. We can only control our own space.

Old 08-10-2023, 09:11 AM

43,361 posts, read 77,251,084 times
Quote:
I think I have a neighbor that hates cars parking in the street. One morning 19 people woke up and found all of their car windows smashed.

I have lived where there is no parking on the street. Everyone survived. No one died.

Maybe people should buy houses that fit their needs. I understand that things change but if you already have 3 cars maybe buy a place with a three or four car garage.

One HOA I'm aware of has " the part of the garage designed for parking a 4-wheel motorized shall not be used for storage or a work area." I agree with that.
Quite out of touch with how lifestyles and needs work for folks who aren't so well-heeled...

Old 08-10-2023, 09:44 AM

13,410 posts, read 28,766,162 times
As long as my driveway isn't blocked I could care less where people park and it certainly would not deter me from buying a house I like.
Many people use the garage for storage of crap they can't or won't part with.
Many in better climates turn it into some kind of man cave.

Old 08-10-2023, 10:02 AM

8,542 posts, read 4,779,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
As long as my driveway isn't blocked I could care less where people park and it certainly would not deter me from buying a house I like.
Many people use the garage for storage of crap they can't or won't part with.
Many in better climates turn it into some kind of man cave.
Doesn’t have to even be a “better climate”. There’s rough winters here which hasn’t deterred my BIL from turning his garage into a (his words) “Italian living room”. I don’t think he’s ever had a car in his garage.

Old 08-10-2023, 10:45 AM

6,061 posts, read 3,780,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Doesn’t have to even be a “better climate”. There’s rough winters here which hasn’t deterred my BIL from turning his garage into a (his words) “Italian living room”. I don’t think he’s ever had a car in his garage.
So what does he do with the REAL living room in his house... turn it into storage space?

Old 08-11-2023, 08:14 AM

9,889 posts, read 7,772,507 times
Quote:
I think I have a neighbor that hates cars parking in the street. One morning 19 people woke up and found all of their car windows smashed.

I have lived where there is no parking on the street. Everyone survived. No one died.

One HOA I'm aware of has " the part of the garage designed for parking a 4-wheel motorized shall not be used for storage or a work area." I agree with that.
If one window is smashed in our neighborhood, I'm sure a dozen neighbors would be outside taking video of the criminal and calling 911. Hard to believe someone could do 19 cars without being caught.

As for that HOA you mention, it just shows how important it is to do your research on their rules before you make an offer.

Old 08-11-2023, 10:05 AM

45,518 posts, read 60,746,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
So what does he do with the REAL living room in his house... turn it into storage space?
Indoor she-shed.

Old 08-11-2023, 12:39 PM

8,676 posts, read 22,946,677 times
What do you call a group of Karens?

Drumroll..........

An HOA

Bada-bing!

Old 08-11-2023, 01:03 PM

45,518 posts, read 60,746,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
If one window is smashed in our neighborhood, I'm sure a dozen neighbors would be outside taking video of the criminal and calling 911. Hard to believe someone could do 19 cars without being caught.

As for that HOA you mention, it just shows how important it is to do your research on their rules before you make an offer.
Two o'clock in the morning? With everyone asleep and all the windows closed for air conditioning? It happens in Metro DC fairly often. As well as cars being jacked up and the wheels taken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate