Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2023, 10:43 AM

215 posts, read 212,470 times

Advertisements

Okay so there is an abandoned/dormant commercial property that is apparently owned by AT&T and shut its facilities down on this property about two years ago.

Unfortunately,the property has become somewhat of a hotbed of crime.My neighbors have seen drug deals go down on the abandoned parking lot at night.In addition, I personally have seen a woman defecate in public view on the site,and have seen a fistfight between two homeless drug addicts who pulled out knives on each other before a security guard from an adjacent property from across the street was able to squash the incident without anybody getting hurt.

I went to take a walk on the property during daylight hours and saw a lot of needles/drug paraphernalia and an abundance of trash and beer cans on site.

My question is this,what would be the neighborhood's best approach to remedy this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2023, 10:58 AM

5,981 posts, read 7,402,862 times
You say "apparently" owned by AT&T.

You need to establish who owns the property (possibly not AT&T, they could have been leasing it) and then direct your concerns to them. I'm sure you can check local tax or appraiser records to determine who holds the deed.

I would also look into local ordinances that address such matters as loitering, maintaining property condition, etc., etc. You might have some leverage with the local government as a citizen and taxpayer.

Another approach, if you see the property becoming a meeting spot for illegal activity, is to start calling the local law enforcement authorities every time you see such activity. It will not endear you to the local gendarmes, however, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" and all that - they might decide to cite the owner, which will get their attention, too.

Good luck and be sure to report back what happens.

RM

Old 09-10-2023, 11:38 AM

34,114 posts, read 83,086,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastVigilante View Post
Okay so there is an abandoned/dormant commercial property that is apparently owned by AT&T
You need to be more emphatic about actual ownership and THEN address the owner.
A city councilman type might be able to help with that.

Old 09-10-2023, 11:54 AM

4,211 posts, read 2,529,018 times
As noted above, establish who owns the property. That is a matter of public record. Search the online real estate tax database for the jurisdiction. Then, it's a matter of getting someone to listen; be persistent. Localities differ in how responsive they are. There might be plans in the works to do something. Police, zoning, neighborhood groups, elected local officials are all part of the steps. Sometimes, local TV reporters take an interest, see if someone will if the groups listed above result in dead ends.

Old 09-10-2023, 02:24 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,928,410 times
And make sure other members of the community file complaints. The more people involved, the more likely action will be taken.

Old 09-10-2023, 02:57 PM

6,493 posts, read 10,381,393 times
OP, what city/state is this property located in?

I live in a Florida city that had an At&t call center but they didn't own the property and leased the building instead from another owner. They shut down our call center shortly before 2019 and moved out. In that case, complaining to At&t would fall on deaf ears for the same reasons. Know who you need to do battle with before trying to start a fight. There has been some excellent advice offered in this thread already.

Last edited by dontaskwhy; 09-10-2023 at 03:44 PM..

Old 09-10-2023, 03:07 PM

45,488 posts, read 60,718,893 times
Quote:
Okay so there is an abandoned/dormant commercial property that is apparently owned by AT&T and shut its facilities down on this property about two years ago.

Unfortunately,the property has become somewhat of a hotbed of crime.My neighbors have seen drug deals go down on the abandoned parking lot at night.In addition, I personally have seen a woman defecate in public view on the site,and have seen a fistfight between two homeless drug addicts who pulled out knives on each other before a security guard from an adjacent property from across the street was able to squash the incident without anybody getting hurt.

I went to take a walk on the property during daylight hours and saw a lot of needles/drug paraphernalia and an abundance of trash and beer cans on site.

My question is this,what would be the neighborhood's best approach to remedy this situation?
Have your neighbors filed police reports? Have you? Public defecation and indecent exposure.

Old 09-10-2023, 05:08 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,923,683 times
File complaints with the police and the fire Marshall. Homeless people are one of the leading causes of fires of abandoned or deserted properties.

Old 09-12-2023, 09:07 PM

10,339 posts, read 6,891,570 times
Quote:

Get law enforcement involved.

Old 09-13-2023, 07:09 AM

6,493 posts, read 10,381,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Get law enforcement involved.
I agree 100% with this. I believe such activity would be classified as criminal trespass. I am not a lawyer and I don't play one on TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate