Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 12:14 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,167,069 times

Advertisements

Good grief. Whatever happened to caveat emptor?

Someone dying in a house wouldn't bother me. Even if it were a violent death, I'd be assuming that the spirit of the deceased had no quarrel with me.

I knew that the previous owner of my first house had died in the house. If anything -- since I knew she'd lived a long, happy life from all the pictures of kids and grandkids on the walls -- I was hoping her spirit would protect me if a fire broke out in the middle of the night, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 12:23 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,166,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold dust View Post
Isn't it funny how we get all superstitious about things like this? I do too, so I am not judging at all.

We looked at a house where it was known that the owner (2 owners ago) commited suidcide. I asked the selling realtor about it and she claimed she didn't know anything. Even though they don't have to disclose the death, can they outright lie when asked about it?

It depends on the state law. She may not have known though. In my state, if I knew and you asked, I would have to acknowledge it.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:28 PM

414 posts, read 1,257,331 times
Default This subject...

Skeevy!

Old 03-10-2011, 10:04 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,537,817 times
There are many many historic homes, and especially in New England, Cape Cod, etc. where the antique homes actually have a special side entrance which was used to bring in the coffin, and wakes were held in the "parlor" or another room. I have a friend who is an antique dealer and historian, and lives year 'round on the Cape. Their home was built in the late 1700's; I questioned "the door" and that is what she told me and said it is very commonly left that way. Didn't skeeve me, I did think it was quite interesting, and she said all of the old homes on the islands of Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard in particular have them.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:13 PM

766 posts, read 1,394,707 times
I think this is comical. Let me get this straight.... SOME of you don't want a home that somebody else died in. Hmmmm...... well...... I sure hope you don't ever need to go to the hospital for illness. Do you have any idea how many people probably DIED IN THE EXACT SAME BED YOU ARE LAYING IN????? I'm not talking about sharing a house of a dead person.... I'm talking about sharing A BED of a dead person. E-GADS!!!! (ROFL)

Old 03-10-2011, 02:22 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,274,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springazure View Post
I think this is comical. Let me get this straight.... SOME of you don't want a home that somebody else died in. Hmmmm...... well...... I sure hope you don't ever need to go to the hospital for illness. Do you have any idea how many people probably DIED IN THE EXACT SAME BED YOU ARE LAYING IN????? I'm not talking about sharing a house of a dead person.... I'm talking about sharing A BED of a dead person. E-GADS!!!! (ROFL)
I know that the previous owner of my home (an elderly woman) did not die in the home itself but in the hospital. However, I wouldn't care if she had died in the house because she died of natural causes. It happens, and will eventually happen to everyone reading this if they're lucky (as opposed to 'unnatural causes' like being burned to death in a fire or being murdered).

However I wouldn't want to live in a house where someone had been brutally killed. I admit it would bother me, and I accept that some people might think it's silly. But I'm just being honest.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:30 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,739,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springazure View Post
I know this is another real old thread but I read your post and had to laugh. I never, ever, thought about that before and I guess now, I'll never, ever, forget it! Ewww...

Old 03-10-2011, 03:31 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,537,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I know this is another real old thread but I read your post and had to laugh. I never, ever, thought about that before and I guess now, I'll never, ever, forget it! Ewww...
Gave you a quick rep on that one Bronston .... tooooo funnnnnnny !

Old 03-10-2011, 03:38 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,134,620 times
I put in an offer on a house where the former owner killed himself in the garage. To me it just meant trying to get the place cheaper.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:34 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,871,604 times
Death happens. Sometimes it's nice, sometimes it isn't. Can't escape it. Why be bothered by it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate