Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 11:16 PM

553 posts, read 1,028,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
The house was definitely being offered below market price. It was a townhouse with lots of comparable sales and listings so it was pretty easy to figure that out. The agent literally told us that was the reason for the lower listing price.
Well, it he is telling you the truth, I would much like prefer THAT reason then a leaking roof or messed up plumbing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 08:43 PM
Status: "Hate is too easy, Love takes courage." (set 4 days ago)

2,049 posts, read 3,368,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Here's a piece of real estate news for 'ya. It is against federal law for a licensed real estate agent, or any agent of the seller, to disclose to a potential buyer whether any resident of a household died of AIDS in the house.
I would guess that it's probly against the law to give out any reason of death of anyone unless it's offically released - but i dont know for sure. I do know with all the HIPPA laws that all medical information is now a really touchy area for public knowledge.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:52 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,588,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
I would guess that it's probly against the law to give out any reason of death of anyone unless it's offically released - but i dont know for sure. I do know with all the HIPPA laws that all medical information is now a really touchy area for public knowledge.

Realtors are obligated to not offer any information about the seller at all; why they are moving or anything else. If someone asks "how did the seller die"? the answer has to be "I have no knowledge of that". But as I said before, there are some people whose religion forbids them to live in a house where a stranger has passed in the house. No reason why is asked.

I mentioned the AIDS law because that question used to be asked quite often and was the reason for the non discrimination law regarding disclosure (not HIPPA related).

Old 06-05-2013, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,582 times
If you buy a house in Alabama does the Realtor has to tell you?? Especially if it was a murder or suicide?? Even if they don't by law HAVE to tell you BUT you straight up ask them, do they have to tell you??? Any answers and help is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks to everyone who replies...

Old 06-05-2013, 02:59 PM

42,004 posts, read 75,373,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly2076 View Post
If you buy a house in Alabama does the Realtor has to tell you?? Especially if it was a murder or suicide?? Even if they don't by law HAVE to tell you BUT you straight up ask them, do they have to tell you??? Any answers and help is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks to everyone who replies...
Why don't you do your own research? Google the address.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:24 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,588,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly2076 View Post

Did you see my response in Post #43 just above your question? That should answer your question.

Realtors cannot, by law in most states, cannot reveal personal circumstances of sellers which include anything about sellers' health, deaths, finances, reasons for moving, etc.

You will have to check with an Alabama lawyer because this is a legal question.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:45 PM

397 posts, read 614,739 times
When you say "RE Agents" are you talking about listing agent or buyer agent.

Laws regarding seller or listing agent disclosure on deaths, and other potentially negative events on the property, vary.

I would hope that all agents would disclose this to their buyers if they were representing the buyer as a "buyers agent". I would think this falls under the category of fiduciary responsibility to your client (buyer)? But I hate to assume.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:51 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,850,250 times
This thread is 5 years old.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:01 PM

43,399 posts, read 77,330,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
This thread is 5 years old.
Ya think the dead guy cares?

Old 06-06-2013, 04:30 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,993,616 times
Talk to the neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate